Blackface cleans and Jcm drive.

What's Hot

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9531
    Sadly, you'll not find an amp that really does this imho... or any close to it for £1000. 

I own a Carr Rambler, and this would be my recommendation with a good Marshall pedal. Ive owned the glorious Slant, and the drive channel is a bit 'meh' imho.

There is a reason why we often buy more than one amp !!!

I also own a Redplate RP50R which is majestic. My best option would be a Redplate CDS2 - one of the smaller combos - and you could well get one close to your £1000 budget.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9531
    Dan,

Actually, Ill revise that.... buy this Carr Mercury. This amp is so good that Steve Carr himself used to gig one (and might still do) and was his no.1 choice out of all his amps. Good marshall/BF blended together tones - at a bloody giveaway price...

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/106470/still-here-carr-mercury-now-900-firm/p1
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    DanR said:
    @ftumch can you pm some details and pics.

Thanks.
    Will do @DanR
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited July 2017
    Mesa Lonestar might be worth a look - the 'Thick' setting on the drive channel makes it sound more Marshallesque that the Marks Series amps.

The clean channel is 'very' Blackface Fender.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    ICBM said:
    MESA/Boogie mk3 Simul-Class.
    Not even close. I very briefly owned one…

Blackface clean - sort of, although it's always tighter and darker and doesn't have the deep 'bounce' or sparkle of a Fender.

Marshall crunch - not even remotely close. It can't do anything like a Marshall tone because the tone stack is in the wrong place - pre-distortion - and although the graphic EQ is post-distortion is still doesn't sound anything like a Marshall. (And really you want to GEQ to make the lead channel sound great, not to try to fix the problem with R2.)

Boogie lead - outstanding. If you want it for that and the clean sound it's a great amp. But I really wanted a Marshall crunch so it swiftly went back!

The Mesa that's closest to a Marshall is the Stiletto, I think - although I got my Trem-o-verb to sound very like one too, with a passable Fender clean sound. These later Mesas (not Boogies) have a post-distortion tone stack.
    What about the Heart(back)Breaker by Mesa?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    I'd say what others have said here and get a good Blackfaced clean amp that takes pedals well and then get yourself a good Marshall-esque pedal. I don't think you can do it the other way round and I'm always amazed at how many people here do this and get their ODs etc from pedals (I do and have different degrees of gain and flavour of OD).
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I could keep my Kraken and then use an aby to split between the two amps I suppose.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    Yep. For a grand I would find a Deluxe Reverb and buy a Weehbo JCM Drive

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    YamahaTH100HD.
    Honest.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited July 2017
    The problem is that the proper blackface sound is open back cabs and "US" style (Jensen, JBL etc.) speakers.  The Marshall sound you are after is closed back Celestion loaded cabs.  You will have to compromise somewhere.

I wonder if @ennspek is on the right path suggesting something digital.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I've tried digital, I've owned a kemper and a helix and neither really did it for me.
  • ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 368
    Brunetti pleximan?
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    edited July 2017
    DanR said:
    @ftumch can you pm some details and pics.

Thanks.
    Heres a link to my old advert. I also have the matching 2x12 cab fitted with celestions if memory serves, will check later.
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/79580/fs-rivera-rake-reverb-head#latest
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    I second what @Wasmeister says about the CDS 2...i have one and they can sound like that ...they are brilliant amps and loud..!
    Well I can get a new Sportsman for a good price so I'm gonna be around £1700ish to spend.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    Seem to remember a That pedal show did a vid on a Hampstead amp which I think did something similar to what you are asking.... Prolly expensive though.... Think the valves are under the chassis too.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72314
    professorben said:

What about the Heart(back)Breaker by Mesa?
    I've never actually played one. Apparently they're more like two Mark series amps in a box though.

Kebabkid said:
    I'd say what others have said here and get a good Blackfaced clean amp that takes pedals well and then get yourself a good Marshall-esque pedal. I don't think you can do it the other way round and I'm always amazed at how many people here do this and get their ODs etc from pedals (I do and have different degrees of gain and flavour of OD).
    In my opinion… if that's close enough for you then you're a Fender player and not a Marshall player :).

Yes, you can get closer to a Marshall with a Fender and a pedal than the other way round, but still not like a good Marshall. The difference in the power section, speakers and cabinet is important.

It's a bit like saying you can get the sound of a Les Paul by putting a humbucker in a Strat - superficially you can, but if you're a true Gibson player it will never be close enough, any more than coil-splitting a Les Paul sounds like a Fender.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    ^ agree with that.  Especially at volume a Fender amp with a 'Marshall in a box' in front of it can turn to flabby mush.  If you really want a Fender sound AND a Marshall sound, get one of each, a HRD and a Jet City Will sound more convincing than a £2000 blackface style boutique amp and a pedal
  • would like to buy one of these.Weehbo JCM Drive Anyone know a uk dealer?
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Fender supersonic 60? The cleans are good and the drive can sound Marshall like. It helps to use an OCD on the drive to get that sound.