Godin XTSA - An interesting test

Hi All,

I've just mailed Godin to see if they will provide me with basic setup figures similar to the Guide that Fender publish. I have contacted them before and seem to remember receiving a rather curt and unhelpful reply. I think it will be interesting to see that response.

I appreciate that amateur set-ups probably result in more Guitar Tech work than anything else but how hard can it be to publish simple suggested trem and action set-up figures - Grr!

They don't want your name, they just want your number.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OK, well I'm eating a large piece of humble pie.

In case, any one is out there searching for Godin XTSA setup measurements. What the helpful chap at Godin sent me is below.
    An inexpert observation is that the neck relief looks very, very low to me but maybe I've just never tried to adjust a decent guitar before.

The factory set up specs are as follows :

The neck relief is .003" at the neck's center.

The action is 5/64" at the 12th fret (low E) and 4/64" at the 12th fret (high E). The measurement should be taken from the top of the fret, not from the fingerboard.

The bridge pickup should be 3/32" from the strings when fretting at the last fret. You can adjust the other pickups to have a matching output level.

As for the trem bridge, it should be set to be flush with the guitar's top.
  • Hi
    The neck relief is probably correct.  You measure it by holding down (or capo) the top or bottom E string at the 1st fret and the 16th fret and then check the relief at the 8th fret.  There should be JUST perceptible movement of the string to the fret.  Some people use a business card as a guide but I think even those can be a bit thick. 3 thousandths of an inch sounds about right
    Hope this helps
    Andy
  • That's much appreciated Andy.

This instrument has been little more than a workhorse for messing about with a Roland Guitar Synth but as it's been too horrible to do anything worthwhile outside, I thought I might try and spend some time setting up the guitar to be the player that it's build quality deserves.

It's been worth the price of admission so far just to acknowledge that I never want to adjust another tremolo as long as I live :)

All the best,
    Pete

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789

I had one, and although high quality, didn't like it.

I also found it very hard to get my vg99 patches to work with it, they seemed to work better with a GK pickup