Little Wing by Jeff Beck - Live version

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
in Guitar tFB Trader
Just found this on you tube whilst I was cruising around - A live version of Jeff playing Little Wing - glad it is not a note for note interpretation

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    that was fabulous ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    I'll have to come back later for a look (at work now).

I love SRV's version of this track.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

Fantastic, brilliant rendition.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Prefer Jimi's by a million miles.
    Horrible amount of echo, not a very nice sound at all.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I liked it.  I remember seeing a Jeff Beck Rig Rundown and it showed you his amp settings and he always rolls the bass off.  
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    edited July 2017
    Love the whole shrubbery thing going on in Narada Michael Walden's (splendidly played) kit.

I must say that I prefer Beck doing his own stuff to these recent covers.
    Wasn't that bothered by his "A Day In The Life" either and thought "Nessun Dorma" was getting scarily close to a guitar version of something off one of those "Pan Pipe Moods" albums from the 90s.

However, something like "Where Were You" can almost bring me to tears and Blow by Blow/Wired are among my favourite guitar albums.

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Blimey, that drummer's a right dude.

Beck's development since his heyday is extraordinary - he's just got better and better.
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    Little Wing, Big Wig (surely)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    Very nice.

It's probably just me, but I don't find Beck's right hand use quite as 'free' and 'comfortable' looking as some other non-plec guitarists, Richie Kotzen or Jared James Nichols for example. Great sound of course.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    axisus said:
    Very nice.

It's probably just me, but I don't find Beck's right hand use quite as 'free' and 'comfortable' looking as some other non-plec guitarists, Richie Kotzen or Jared James Nichols for example. Great sound of course.
    It's probably because he's working the vibrato bar while he plays.

Great clip.
    It's not a competition.
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    'Wired' is still one of my faves, 'Goodbye porkpie hat' being the stand out track.  But as the years have rolled by I found his Strat tone to be less and less stratty.  It's probably me...
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited July 2017
      But as the years have rolled by I found his Strat tone to be less and less stratty.  It's probably me...
    Agreed - these days he uses very heavily wound pickups which John Suhr made while he was at Fender.

IIRC, the bobbins are so deep, that the pickup routes have to be deeper than on a normal Strat, in order to allow enough clearance beneath the strings - which is why they're not replicated on his signature guitars.

If I'm honest, I don't much like his sound these days - a bit too middly and compressed for my taste. I also this think the reliance on the tremolo arm has resulted in a lot of what he does sounding very 'samey'.

The best I've ever heard him is on this - using the Tele Gib:

• BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Wonderful clip @richardhomer ;

Amazing playing and great sound from the Tele-Gib.

I assume that's the one that Seymour Duncan made? Didn't he take some ultra-rare vintage guitar as a swap for it? I seem to recall JB sounding a bit cheesed off that he let something quite special go. That one sounds pretty nice though!

Also John Etheridge on third guitar with Mo Foster on bass and (I think) Simon Phillips on drums. That's some backing band!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Brize said:
    Blimey, that drummer's a right dude.

Beck's development since his heyday is extraordinary - he's just got better and better.
    That version was brilliant and Yep Narada Michael Walden.. Fantastic drummer and the writer of pretty much my all time favourite instrumental track:

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    Of the holy trinity, I think Beck is the one who has developed as he has grown older.  His style and technique now are almost as if he has invented a new instrument. He incorporates the vibrato tailpiece, pickups, compressor and amp into something unique.  I have tried to see him twice and twice he has done a no show.  For someone so grumpy it is incredible how emotional his playing is. Perhaps he feels too much and the grumpiness is his only protection
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Basher said:
    Wonderful clip @richardhomer ;

Amazing playing and great sound from the Tele-Gib.

I assume that's the one that Seymour Duncan made? Didn't he take some ultra-rare vintage guitar as a swap for it? I seem to recall JB sounding a bit cheesed off that he let something quite special go. That one sounds pretty nice though!

Also John Etheridge on third guitar with Mo Foster on bass and (I think) Simon Phillips on drums. That's some backing band!
    I think he swapped the Yardbirds Esquire for it - it's an awesome sounding guitar, isn't it?

I think you're right about the other players - I had the live album when I was a kid - in the days when you devoured credits. A landmark piece of guitar playing for me.

Glad you liked it.
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    Well I quite enjoyed that - thanks for sharing.