T.C.e Nova Pedal Woes

Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
edited July 2017 in FX
Hi

I've had a Nova TFW002 unit for a number of years but it has always ranked in the 'very expensive and very, very disappointing' territory.

Having been singularly unable to ever get a decent overdriven sound out of it, I have basically used it as my tuner, EQ and chorus.

It has behaved oddly one or two times and I've had to factory reset maybe three times in the past five years.  But now - luckily at the final practice before our biggest gig ever - it failed completely.  From initial power on - no input signal.  Nothing registering on the tuner or output.  Swopped cables, swopped input channel, swopped output, checked guitar direct into the amp which was fine.

I've just done a factory reset and still zilch.  Checked the menu for levels, channels, pedal configuration.  It's the classic, "well the lights are on but there's no-one in"

Any thoughts?  Anyone rate this pile of c**p?  Have I just got a duff one from new?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    I had one for about two weeks.  Couldn't get on with it, way too complicated to set up.  the sounds were pretty good tho.

have had a few TC pedals, IB delay, repeater, modulator, and the drive one.  I liked the IB delay, and repeater, found the other two a bit meh tbh.
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    Liked the idea behind it, loved the design and the thought of it solving all my problems but in reality it pissed me off. I found the drive sounds slightly bled through into the bypassed signal, and there was also some bug with the tap tempo, can't remember what but it grated on me. I remember having to factory reset too, atleast once. Isn't there an input level setting in the menu where you have to balance the signal? I vaguely remember tweaking that during initial setup.
  • I've had several Nova Systems over the years (I think 8 at the last count!!). On the whole they have been reliable, however I remember one of my units used to randomly reduce the output level to zero. There was no warning of this, It would just happen and I would have to go into the level menu and manually raise the output level back to 0db. It was completely random and sometimes wouldn't happen for months, then other times it would be 2-3 times on a gig. Factory resets never cured the problem either. I just lived with it until I eventually sold it as a faulty unit. So check your output level on your unit.
  • I had one for about 5 years. Played hundreds of gigs with it here and abroad. The overdrive sounds like a good tubescreamer although the distortion could have been slightly harder clipping.

the effects were all pretty great for what it was. The delays were spot on. The reverbs were decent. The chorus I didn't like too much but the detune was good for the job. I liked the phaser and the harmoniser was decent.

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I reckon mine was a duff one then....certainly is now.  Maybe I'll get a quote for it to be fixed and checked over.....