Something Different - Gibson V2

What's Hot
enteeentee Frets: 93
So.....I have been left a little money and am on the quest for something a little different.  Ideally I am looking for a Gibson SG Zoot as per my WTB advert, but in wandering around I stumbled across an advert for the V2.  Does anyone have any experience with one?  Play like?  Values?  Downsides?  I have around £1500 floating around for my next purchase and want to make sure I get the right thing/deal  :)
Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14227
    tFB Trader
    I recall selling them new when they came out and at the time they effectively flopped regarding sales and popularity - Not so much as the guitar is crap, but more down to the image of what a V represents and I suppose they look more like something from The Antiques Roadshow than a rock shop - jump on 30 years and as happens with many guitars, a new market appears - Bottom line is play it and decide if you like it or not - Prices have risen compared with 10 years ago, but that happens so much today - I'm not anti such a guitar as how they feel and play but not every ones first choice as a V - But if you like it then all well and good
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I googled V2 and all it came up with was this thing:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Sassafras said:
    I googled V2 and all it came up with was this thing:

Yeah, SS frets, two doodlebuckers and I believe the cap is filled with rocket fuel.

Doesn't djent very well tho
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Explodes like butter...
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    I rather like the V2s as a weird point-in-time design, but the E2 Explorers are much cooler and a little less out-there if you could get one.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Those maple/walnut sandwich Gibson pointy models were damned heavy when worn on a strap and cut into your thigh when played seated.

The V2 had the further disadvantage of being blessed with some experimental V-shaped pickups. No aftermarket replacement pickup would fit without substantial wood routing first.

Blame Norlin.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    tFB Trader
    Those maple/walnut sandwich Gibson pointy models were damned heavy when worn on a strap and cut into your thigh when played seated.

The V2 had the further disadvantage of being blessed with some experimental V-shaped pickups. No aftermarket replacement pickup would fit without substantial wood routing first.

Blame Norlin.
    yes I forgot about the weight
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    edited July 2017

Blame Norlin.
    yes I forgot about the weight

That gives me an idea...get Terry Morgan to put a Yamaha logo on it and Boom...it's worth 3K :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    One of the these things?

Seriously?

Each to their own but fuck my wellington boots they are ugly.

I played in an old school metal band when I was 19, the other guitarist bought one (his dad bought it for him) and I remember the drummer asking him how much of the sideboard it was hacked from was left as he could do with some firewood. It didn't sound great either.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I like the Flying V, but then again I am a bit of a Schenker fan.
    I had a mate who had one and I didn't like playing the guitar itself, though.
    There are a couple of Explorers about: Apex Music (Reading) had one (maybe 80s?); I think it was a bit overpriced, so they may still have it.
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    One of the these things?

Seriously?

Each to their own but fuck my wellington boots they are ugly.

I played in an old school metal band when I was 19, the other guitarist bought one (his dad bought it for him) and I remember the drummer asking him how much of the sideboard it was hacked from was left as he could do with some firewood. It didn't sound great either.

If you thought that was bad have a quick view on reverb.com and one is £1675 and one is £2316 so with that in mind you can have another session, in private, with your wellies
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I see they did a nice range of colours tho...

Then again, so did Tupperware in the 70s/80s...
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^

Apart from black and the natural wood based models I can't recall see any of those coloured versions - do any FB pick-up builders do a replacement pick-up - If you do it looks like you'll need to offer them with a returns policy
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    The strings on them aren't too bad.
    Bet they help you pull the chicks tho.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11294
    I see they did a nice range of colours tho...

Then again, so did Tupperware in the 70s/80s...
    Looks like a lorry fromthe Gibson factory collided with a lorry from one of the less understated Italian or Japan manufacturers of the 60s.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    I just googled Norlin and it lead me to this....

How on earth did Gibson make it through that era?

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    NelsonP said:
    Paul Reed Smith arrived on the scene, bringing cherry sunburst, carved top guitars back into fashion. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    NelsonP said:
    Paul Reed Smith arrived on the scene, bringing cherry sunburst, carved top guitars back into fashion. 
    I'd probably argue it was Paul Hamer, but I get where you are coming from.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• enteeentee Frets: 93
    further reading leads me to agree with all the above - limited use, heavy, over priced  lol.  Glad I asked though, as this forum always makes me chuckle with the replies some offer  :)  Maybe I'll look into Parker Nitefly's next.... 
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).