Good things come in twos (hopefully)

What's Hot
Hi

After bit of a run of bass builds, with the latest one (the Ultra Modern one) having an end in sight, I'm starting to gear up properly for TWO six-string electrics :)

One is for our very own @impmann  and one is for little old ME!

@impmann 's is planned to be our own take on the classic and wonderful Alembic 6-stringers.  It won't be a clone - construction will be different, headstock different, hardware different - but will have a few respectful nods to some of those marvels.

Early days on this - but I have got the neck wood.  Maple outers with purpleheart and mahogany inners:

...and an outline drawing:

It will be a heavily figured burl top wood - bookmatched with the thru-neck only showing from the back.  The back will be mahogany, with what @impmann describes as the 'sucked lozenge' sand-through at the arm relief, a bit like on my camphor topped single cut bass from last year:

It's planned to be as light as we can make it - a bit like a semi-acoustic but with no f-hole.

I'm buying the top wood tomorrow!    Can't wait :)

And mine?

Well - since making the lightweight and diminutive piccolo bass for Pete our band's bassist last year:

...and realising what a delight it is to play (it's sub 6lbs)  - and realising that it is actually the same scale length and nut width as a 6-string electric - well, it would be almost an insult not to build myself a 6-string electric version of the same thing ;)

I have, of course, already have all the templates, and I have the mahogany for the back, and I probably have a good enough piece of walnut for the top (unless I get crazy-tempted tomorrow at Exotichardwoodsukltd :)  )
AND...I'm going to use the same neck billet as @impmann 's build!  I got through-neck bass lengths and can cut two necks from the same five-piece assembly.  
The saved waste on that means I can keep the affordability of @impmann's build to the level where he can treat himself to a very nice bridge for his build...

Win, Win, if it all goes to plan :)

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Oooh... Exciting! I'm all over this! Remind me to have a chat about your waiting list and prices etc sometime by pm ... 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I've seen the top... I'm super excited.

That reminds me, I need to spend some money on hardware and pickups...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    It just got expensive... yes, I could have bought a cheaper bridge but if I'm going to do this the way I want it...

So ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Schaller Hannes Bridge with piezos (black n gold)

https://www.schaller-electronic.com/hp419913/Guitar-Bridge-Hannes-6-Piezo-12020500.htm?ITServ=C76cc220fX15d609b99cfXY3c90

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    impmann said:
    It just got expensive... yes, I could have bought a cheaper bridge but if I'm going to do this the way I want it...

So ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Schaller Hannes Bridge with piezos (black n gold)

I've heard good things about those.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.