Impressed with the Helix LT, but....

What's Hot
NiallseroreillyNiallseroreilly Frets: 504
Had a sit down with the Helix LT today, great piece of kit. 

I cant help but feeling that the scripple strips from the full fat Helix are essential.

Helix LT users what do you think?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Well we all lived without scribble strips for years, but I do like them on my Helix.  The LT is a bargain though, and for what I use my Helix for some stickers would have done the trick
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Agreed - scribble strips weren't even an option until the past couple of years.

I've always got by on coloured electrical tape.  It's low tech but it gets the job done!
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

I've not once thought scribble strips would make anything better on the LT.  I mean, the screen with the pedal layout is as clear as it comes, so it's not crossed my mind since owning the LT.

• sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    Never had them so don't miss them - first gig tonight with mine 4cm into MJW amp. I have it set up the same as my pedal board for now until i can get it properly dialled in 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    I don't miss them. In fact I prefer the look without them.
    It's not a competition.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    Back when I was gigging I always made sure I could use my board without ever looking at it so I could give all my attention to backing vocals and performance. 

If I have to look at a pedalboard it's too complicated.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16092
    strips compulsory ......it doesn't look flashy enough without them !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    One less thing to go wrong.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9531
    I had a LT first - loved it !

BUT

10 footswitch layout and the scribble strips are essential
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    So I found out we have an extra guy on stage with us tonight which means I can't take the normal board (full fat Helix with extra expression, wireless, 2 drive pedals. It's massive). LT will be the board of choice tonight. While I will miss the scribble strips and the functionality of how I usually run it, I've set up 2 presets using all snapshots and the second preset varies by one effect. Using the virtual scribble strips on the LT so should be fine. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    I think how much you'd miss/want them depends on how you'll end up using it.

If regularly using very different patches then yep - it's a real boon to be able to glance down and see where the tape delay is vs (the same colour) digital repeats buttons. 

If you tend to use fewer 'rigs' (as I like to think of patches) then it's more of a nice to have. 

I'm actually glad I didn't have to make a choice at the time (there was only the full fat one) as I'm not sure which way I'd go. Ultimately though this is just the gravy - getting a Helix is the main benefit!
    Red ones are better. 
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I really dislike change, live. The different layout of the 8 buttons as opposed to 10 would take me a couple of gigs to bed in

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I really value the scribble strips on my full fat Helix. Helix LT would only suit me for home use I think.
  • jamesguitarjamesguitar Frets: 145
    edited July 2017
    Even if they were the same price the LT would still win for me. Being lighter and more portable is always what you want when you're gigging a lot.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I really value the scribble strips on my full fat Helix. Helix LT would only suit me for home use I think.
    My thoughts too. I picked up a used LT and I don't think the performance mode would cut in in a live situation. For home use it's fine but I'd have real trouble seeing and matching the footswitchs to the performance display on a dark stage under pressure of playing live.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    equalsql said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    My thoughts too. I picked up a used LT and I don't think the performance mode would cut in in a live situation. For home use it's fine but I'd have real trouble seeing and matching the footswitchs to the performance display on a dark stage under pressure of playing live.
    I go on the positions of the switches. No time to read in a live situation.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    equalsql said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I agree. With the FX8 I always try to keep effects in the same locations between patches for fear of getting in a right on stage muddle trying to match the screen up with the relevant button. The same would apply with the LT.
    Scribble strips on the the grande fromage Helix make this a non issue and I'll quite happily stick things all over the shop.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    equalsql said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Done plenty of gigs with my LT now and not had a single issue with this.  It's clear and bright and for me works flawlessly in any lighting scenario.