The greatest and worst exponents of the wah pedal ?

What's Hot
TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
Jeff Healey solo in blue Jean  blues should be a compulsory listen for any player wanting to know how to use a wah pedal properly.

If you want to know precisely how not to use a wah, I think kirk hammett is my first choice.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5111
    edited July 2017
    Worst is Kelly Jones of Stereophonics. Having said that, I've sworn never again to own a Wah pedal....it's like try to pat your head and rub your tummy at the same time 

Best is Jimi or Crispin Mils of Kula Shaker
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Greatest is Michael Schenker. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27568
    Greatest is Robin Proper-Sheppard of The God Machine.

Worst... hmm. Hamnet has to be down there, along with most of the wacka-wacka school.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Worst has to be the whole crime of the century album by Supertramp. I love that album, but the whacka whacka on it is waaaaay too much. 
  • Squire - Fools Gold

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• slash

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• I love the Wah myself, especially the slow sweeps, while playing fast, in a Psychedelic kind of way,

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jerry Cantrell 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Hendrix used it to best effect. It sounded like he was actually listening to what it was doing rather than using it just because it was there like so many other rock guitarists seem to do. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Jerry Cantrell 
    You ever scratch your head and wonder what sequence of events happened to make someone's brain work the way it does?? Yeah that.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Brian Robertson on Thin Lizzy's Don't Believe a Word is my favourite wah moment. 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Brian Robertson on Thin Lizzy's Don't Believe a Word is my favourite wah moment. 
    This all day :) Live and Dangerous get in! Joint favourite with Skip Pitts on Shaft :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Best AND worst - Peter Buck on Stand.

Supposedly it was the first time he'd ever tried using one...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited July 2017
    Best for me is Jeff Beck:

Worst- well it is the obvious choice but Kirk Hammett.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    clarkefan said:
    This all day :) Live and Dangerous get in! Joint favourite with Skip Pitts on Shaft :)
    Agreed The "Lizzy Boys" Gorham, Robertson and  include Gary Moore in that (some of the Back on the Streets solo).
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12879
    ICBM said:
    Best AND worst - Peter Buck on Stand.

Supposedly it was the first time he'd ever tried using one...
    ---thanks for that. I'm now dancing around the house doing THAT dance from the video. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    I think Clapton might be the best for pioneering it and using it as "his sound"... but then he's the worst for overusing it for the entirety of the 70s. I guess he wasn't really into the concept of moderation for that decade. 

Charles Moothart has a fresh wah sound. I think he uses a Telray morely. 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I love the Wah myself, especially the slow sweeps, while playing fast, in a Psychedelic kind of way,
    This!

Personal wah heroes have to be Steve Hillage - he incorporates the effect so seamlessly sometimes you don't even notice he's doing it - Dave Brock, Steffi Sharpstrings and Daevid Allen. 

I hate all that crappy wah that sounds like eggs frying on countless seventies American detective shows. Who played that?  Larry Carlton? Tommy Tedesco? They should have known better though!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
     Steve Hillage, Dave Brock, Steffi Sharpstrings and Daevid Allen. 

You need to come round my house some time ;-) Stick Ed Wynne on that list as well.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    edited July 2017
    I know it was in the OP's post, but here's another vote for Jeff Healey. His first album is a masterclass in how to use a wah. See the Light and Blue Jean Blues are unbelievable tracks. 

Worst is me, at my last gig when I had to use my small board. I didn't realise the wah was still on and thought there was something wrong with my amp. I reEQd every single pedal in the soundcheck and then had to put it all back again when I worked out what I had done.