removing paint from black hardware

What's Hot
Is there a good way to remove black paint from hardware?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    2 options I can think of are chemical or heat. 

There's some way of doing it with  baking soda and boiling but not sure  if it's an old wives tale
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    +1 for chemicals on paint.

If you wish to remove the electroplated black finish from hardware, the surefire way is to let somebody with corrosive sweat smear their paws all over it. Failing that, acetic acid (vinegar) might do the trick.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Knew I'd seen something about baking soda somewhere. 

Obviously use the wife's best cooking stuff to do it in
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    Do you mean paint, as in someone has painted over it with black paint? Or paint as in a factory black coating - either powder-coated or anodized?

If it's the first, dismantle it all and soak the pieces in acetone or some variety of patent 'cleaning solvent' - Maplin Label Remover is very effective - and use a stiff brush to scrub it off.

If it's the second, don't. The plating underneath usually won't be nice enough to make a finished surface. If you really don't like it, replace the hardware with matching chrome or nickel parts.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    @ICBM Yeah, factory black. Hmmnnn .... Really don't like black, I'll have to think about this ...