"Ibanez" treble bleed mod

What's Hot
bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
So I'm gonna install a 331 pF cap onto my Suhr's volume pot as I'm not fussed on the tone when I turn down - I like the Ibanez trebly clean sound.  Just wanted to make sure I'm putting it in the right place so I want to confirm that I unsolder the two caps that I have circled in red and just pop on the 331pF  where I unsoldered those?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited July 2017
    Affirmative. Those are the correct pot lugs for a treble bypass mod.

The network components in your photograph may turn out to be one cap and one resistor.

Opinions vary on the capacitor value.

Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Affirmative. Those are the correct pot lugs for a treble bypass mod.

The network components in your photograph may turn out to be one cap and one resistor.

Opinions vary on the capacitor value.

Thanks mate.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    That's actually a cap and a resistor, not two caps. You can do what you want by very carefully cutting just the resistor (the one underneath, of course!) at one end. If you use a very sharp pair of cutters on the wire at the right in your pic, where it wraps over the top of the other wire, and then bend the resistor back so the wires aren't touching, you should be able to do it without taking anything else apart.

That will give a cap value of 680pF rather than 330pF, which will give a *more* trebly clean sound, so it may be better anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    That's actually a cap and a resistor, not two caps. You can do what you want by very carefully cutting just the resistor (the one underneath, of course!) at one end. If you use a very sharp pair of cutters on the wire at the right in your pic, where it wraps over the top of the other wire, and then bend the resistor back so the wires aren't touching, you should be able to do it without taking anything else apart.

That will give a cap value of 680pF rather than 330pF, which will give a *more* trebly clean sound, so it may be better anyway.
    @ICBM how do you know that cap value from the picture?   I will try what you say.  
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    The numbers and letters printed on the body of the capacitor should indicate its nominal value.

In his absence, I shall take the liberty of suggesting that ICBM has very probably seen and/or worked on the control electronics of Suhr guitars.
    Be seeing you.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited July 2017
    I believe this is known as a 'treble bypass' according to @Sassafras....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
    I believe this is known as a 'treble bypass' according to @Sassafras....
    It sounds good to me whatever you call it!  I stuck the 331pF treble bypass cap mod in.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    bingefeller said:

@ICBM how do you know that cap value from the picture?   I will try what you say.  
    I don't...

But I do know that's the value Suhr uses on all his guitars :).

From memory the resistor value is 150K I think.

I also like 680pF - although the exact best value depends on a few factors (not least the length and quality of your guitar cable), this seems to be about the closest to a 'magic' universal value.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    bingefeller said:

I don't...

But I do know that's the value Suhr uses on all his guitars :).

From memory the resistor value is 150K I think.

I also like 680pF - although the exact best value depends on a few factors (not least the length and quality of your guitar cable), this seems to be about the closest to a 'magic' universal value.
    Ah right.  Well I tried the 680pF and it sounded good, but I prefer the 331pF instead.  It reminds me of when Paul Gilbert rolls back his volume and gets that sparkly semi dirty sound.  Sounds great when you add a compressor in with the volume rolled back.