Help re Gretsch Electromatics

ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
Might be after a Gretschy thing soon (but, could be a momentary fad). There's a white 5120 nearby that looks suitably White Falcon.

Any issues with them? Bridge rattle? Need to pin it down?  Tuning issues? Pickups rubbish?

Any help appreciated!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Bridges rattle because the bridge itself often does. Pinning = can of worms but rosin for me, dirt cheap and works very well. Compton bridge is a popular swap.
    Pickups generally aren't well liked being budget bucker types so many get swapped out. Usually the guitar itself is good, playable, can be set up to be very nice indeed with minimal effort.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
    Thanks Bill. Under consideration then...
  • steersteer Frets: 1186
    edited July 2017
    I have a 5420, which  is the newer version of the same thing, but with better pickups and a few minor cosmetic changes from the 5120.

The bridge on my early 5420 is not pinned, and neither is it on the 5120. Never been an issue for me, but the later 5420's did have a pinned bridge. As mentioned above lots of people put a compton on theirs, and they cost just under a hundred quid.

For what it is worth, I love mine. I dont think the pickups on the 5120 are universally loved though.

No tuning issues for me. Love this guitar, and have kept it totally stock, apart from a different spring in the bigsby.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5405
    edited July 2017
    I played a 2016 G5422DC a couple months ago at Guitar Village that was honestly the nicest Korean-made guitar I've ever played in my life. It felt like it should have been priced amongst the Japanese Gretsches. Wouldn't have done a thing to it, I even liked the pickups. May still buy one one day.