Refinish 81 Les Paul OR buy an R7/8

What's Hot
Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
Hi all, 

Been chewing over the idea of refinishing my 81 Les Paul Standard (currently brown/wine red)

I've had the guitar since I was 16 and it fits like an old pair of shoes. It's a YOB guitar with plenty of sentimental attachment so I don't think I'll ever sell it. It's also been modded before I got it - pick ups switched and plenty of real ware.

The issue is I've got a real hankering for an R7 Goldtop or a black or cherry r8. 

Can't really justify having 2 Les Paul's so thought about refinishing my 81 to either a Goldtop or even a Blacktop. 

Anyone done this?

Just wondering if it's worth the hassle and I should I just man up and own 2 Les Paul's? 

Cheers 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Refinishing a Les Paul won't be cheap - and you will lose some of the 'played in' feel, with a new glossy finish.

I remember reading about Bill Nelson having his famous 345 refinished - claiming it was never the same after the work had been done. In fact it precipitated him moving over to Yamaha SGs for a while.

Personally, I wouldn't do it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7324
    I got a well worn in guitar refinished and it was pretty much like new afterwards. I'd just own 2 les pauls (and I do).
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6904
    The other option is go for a refinish and get it reliced. I'm not the biggest relic fan but when done well the best can recreate realistic wear/checking that isn't to OTT.

I'm pretty sure they could replicate the current wear/condition if you wanted them to.

If you got a refin it would only be the top of the guitar so it would still feel the same guitar afterwards. 

Wine red is my least favourite colour on a LP - so my advice is...

Go for it!
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    Financially, the best option (imo) is to buy a used R7/8. Refinishing your guitar or buying a new Gibby will both cost considerably more in the long term (when taking resale into account).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6904
    johnhe said:
    Financially, the best option (imo) is to buy a used R7/8. Refinishing your guitar or buying a new Gibby will both cost considerably more in the long term (when taking resale into account).
    Definitely agree on buying used but...financially I don't think that's the best option.

Last time I looked a used R7/R8 was ~ £2k. A top refinish won't cost anything like that and OP doesn't want to sell the 81 (which is already modified) so I don't think resale enters the equation.

Also the 81 fits like a pair of old shoes - the Rx might not - so there's an investment of time there to find the right one.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    This won't be a popular opinion on a guitar forum I know :), but...

Why do you need to do either? You've got a great Les Paul that you love, so firstly don't potentially ruin it - it will never be the same after a refinish, as richardhomer said - and secondly why do you need another one? (Unless you're gigging and need a backup.)

Take a deep breath and keep your old Les Paul the way it is. The grass elsewhere is not really greener...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ICBM said:

Why do you need to do either? You've got a great Les Paul that you love, so firstly don't potentially ruin it - it will never be the same after a refinish, as richardhomer said - and secondly why do you need another one? (Unless you're gigging and need a backup.)

Take a deep breath and keep your old Les Paul the way it is. The grass elsewhere is not really greener...
    You're never going to get this GAS concept, are you @ICBM? ;)
    ICBM said:

You're never going to get this GAS concept, are you @ICBM? ;)
    It's a good job 'Frets' aren't awarded for NGDs - some of us wouldn't have very many.... :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    This was my first post on the forum and the advice has been much appreciated and made my thinking a lot clearer. 

Reckon I'm going to hold off on the refinish for now. Then try out some R7/8's out and see if I can't live without one, as thus far my obsession is based purely on how pretty they look! 
    Hick81 said:
    This was my first post on the forum and the advice has been much appreciated and made my thinking a lot clearer. 

Reckon I'm going to hold off on the refinish for now. Then try out some R7/8's out and see if I can't live without one, as thus far my obsession is based purely on how pretty they look! 
    Worth pointing out also that a refinished guitar from the era yours is from won't look like an R7 - the binding is too thick in the cutaway, the cutaway is too 'pointed', headstock too big, maple three-piece neck, chrome hardware, etc.

I'd far rather it looks like a genuine example of what it is, than 'a not quite right' R7....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    If you have the cash for an R7 then enjoy the search for the right one and then you have a choice/spare for gigs.  
    You can always do both if you hate the finish on your current guitar.   imo only sell when you need to with older guitars you've had for a long time, there is a fair chance you'll wish you had kept it at some point in the future.