Thai Bride

What's Hot

Comments

• fatherjackfatherjack Frets: 180
    Myranda said:
     young girls are bought pink thinks before they can articulate a choice, young boys blue - then through peer pressure and marketing young girl toys are often dictated as dolls and teasets for boys is cars and toy guns (ok on that last one there's some studies to show girls tend towards dolls and boys towards actiony toys, but still small sample sizes and without subjecting the child to cruel isolation how will you eliminate marketing an peer pressure for such tests?)
    There have been studies done on primates that suggest that males tend to play with typically 'male' toys.  Another study also suggested that girls born with congenital adrenal hyperplasia (they experienced abnormally high levels of the male sex hormone androgen whilst in the womb) preferred playing with 'male' toys.  However, this data should be approached with a little caution.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I see the old fashioned scepticism has come over from MR.

These people get married because they love each other. It's nothing to do with money and visas.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26576
    Myranda said:

Some feminist writers don't make things easy - recent years several have been openly anti-trans for instance... campaigning for total equality while pointing at another group and saying "but not for them" does our cause no good and lots of harm. Equality is so close, we have most of the same opportunities, the pay gap when we get to places is getting smaller, there are more and more female CEOs every year. Ok women are still not given the same respect in some cases as men - men who sleep around: stud - women: whore. Sporty women: dyke, sporty men: hero. etc... young girls are bought pink thinks before they can articulate a choice, young boys blue - then through peer pressure and marketing young girl toys are often dictated as dolls and teasets for boys is cars and toy guns (ok on that last one there's some studies to show girls tend towards dolls and boys towards actiony toys, but still small sample sizes and without subjecting the child to cruel isolation how will you eliminate marketing an peer pressure for such tests?)
    There's an interesting analysis of the pay gap here:

Obviously, she goes a bit overboard in asserting that there's no pay gap; as far as I can tell, the evidence she quotes suggests there is actually a pay gap but it's a lot smaller than most people report, and more importantly it does give some compelling reasons as to why it exists.

Naturally, though, it's all based on statistics which means broad generalisations.

In terms of feminism itself...its achilles heel is the Internet. The ones who get the most attention - and there's a lot of it these days - are always the more rabid "men should only be used as breeding stock" nutballs, and they don't seem to get that they're irreparably damaging the cause. Of course, they don't just see men as the enemy, but also anybody who wants straight-up equality.
    <space for hire>
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Myranda said:

Some feminist writers don't make things easy - recent years several have been openly anti-trans for instance... campaigning for total equality while pointing at another group and saying "but not for them" does our cause no good and lots of harm. Equality is so close, we have most of the same opportunities, the pay gap when we get to places is getting smaller, there are more and more female CEOs every year. Ok women are still not given the same respect in some cases as men - men who sleep around: stud - women: whore. Sporty women: dyke, sporty men: hero. etc... young girls are bought pink thinks before they can articulate a choice, young boys blue - then through peer pressure and marketing young girl toys are often dictated as dolls and teasets for boys is cars and toy guns (ok on that last one there's some studies to show girls tend towards dolls and boys towards actiony toys, but still small sample sizes and without subjecting the child to cruel isolation how will you eliminate marketing an peer pressure for such tests?)
    In terms of feminism itself...its achilles heel is the Internet. The ones who get the most attention - and there's a lot of it these days - are always the more rabid "men should only be used as breeding stock" nutballs, and they don't seem to get that they're irreparably damaging the cause. Of course, they don't just see men as the enemy, but also anybody who wants straight-up equality.
    The Internet I suspect could be the Achilles heel of all reasoned argument...

Immigration concerns? Well most of the people commenting loudly enough to get noticed will be wingnuts who think that all immigration is terrible, seeing their polish doctor, not as a sign that too few people go into medicine in the UK to account for all the people needing treatment, but that some dirty pole came and stole the honest brits job... grrrr.

*head ache interupts play*

going to find dark place to lay down now... but suffice to say people making clever reasoned arguments are often going to be the minority on the internet thanks to the downside of Freedom of speech - that everyone feels they need to voice their opinion, and the internet gives a worryingly good forum for all sorts of BS views to be aired and heard freely
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I think the feminist angle is rather more complicated -

What are women's rights like in Thailand?
    Is marrying for "love" a feature of Thai culture?
    Are their conditions of Thai marriages that may be unacceptable to some women? (imperative to have kids etc).
    Is marrying to move out of Thailand a cynical act?

As I see it, all relationships are deals - "I'll be your trophy if you give me lots of money", "I'll control you and do your housework" - of course the old adage "A woman marries a man expectimg him to change and a man marries a woman expecting her not to change - both are disappointed".

I personally think a relationship where these "contracts" are ratified up front has the potential to be more rewarding.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I assume Myranda is referring to Moore and Burchill and as Moore also wrote an article telling men what they can and can't do with their penis we all know how sane she is...

I'm not sure trans and gay ate the same thing, although I see no reason why Transexulas should be denied rights either. Their is a clear evolutionary explanation for homosexuality, and it occurs in equal numbers across all races. Transexualism is much more common in more "feminine" races, such as Thailand's Kathoy community and is a much more complex issue. That does not give an excuse for discrimination at all as being gender dysmorphic must be utterly horrible.

@Myranda: you should be in Barcelona just now. Massive Lesbian festival with saphic delight from across the globe...
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Evilmags;15014" said:
    I'm not sure trans and gay ate the same thing ...
    I know it's his dyslexia - but that was a coffee:screen moment ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Evilmags said: Transexulas 

Jalapeno said:
    Evilmags;15014" said:
    You picked out one typo, but missed a stranger one - Transexulas! Gender-queer spiders is where I draw the line ;)
  • Myranda said:
    You picked out one typo, but missed a stranger one - Transexulas! Gender-queer spiders is where I draw the line ;)
    Ewww... Frank N. Furter with 8 hairy legs...
  • fatherjackfatherjack Frets: 180
    An extract from the Uxbridge English Dictionary provided by Jeremy Hardy:

Jugular - a busty vampire.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
    A Jeremy Hardy quote that isn't about conservatives? Such things happen?
    Myranda said:
    Evilmags said: Transexulas 

Jalapeno said:
    Evilmags;15014" said:
    Transexulas, as I recall he was one of the Elves Elrond sent to their death at Helm's Deep.

• Myranda said:
    But the women want to come to the UK and to have a better life... 
    In the Welsh village where I used to live, a guy murdered his Thai bride and reputedly fed her to his cat.

A better life, maybe. Certainly shorter in this case.
    they never read the small print...

Myranda said:
    But the women want to come to the UK and to have a better life... 
    In the Welsh village where I used to live, a guy murdered his Thai bride and reputedly fed her to his cat.

A better life, maybe. Certainly shorter in this case.
    Funny you mention that... when i searched for Thai Husband to see if there's a buy a husband website I found a news story about a Thai bride who killed, cooked and then fed her British husband to a tiger
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    where on earth did she find a tiger?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

Glamorgan Zoo?
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    so she was able to cook a whole human being in front of the tiger enclosure and not one person made comment on this? No wonder the country's going to the dogs.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So, this country is going to the dogs and Thai Brides are good at cooking...

hmm mmm joint the dots people ;)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I'd like to tie up a bride. Does that count?