Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September - Running Order V4 Now up!!

What's Hot

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I think the 2 rooms is a good idea. Maybe the 2nd room could be 'advanced jamming' or something?

I know that everyone will be welcoming and encouraging etc, but I also think it is easy to forget how intimidating it can feel to have a go when you are nervous about your playing, particularly if somebody has just ripped out a session quality solo before you. Some people coming might be being over-modest about their playing whereas others might genuinely be at a very early stage - we can't really know until the day, but 2 rooms where everyone is welcome at any point lets people choose what will help them most to experience.

Tbh I'll only really be playing standards / songs I can follow by ear / jamming on keys as I don't really have time to learn a lot new just for the day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    Damn it @bridgehouse im in Kos on that date :-( 
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    Just spotted this. What a truly beautiful place this is.  Kudos to the suggesters/organisers/payers and players. 

Alas (and I hang my head in a deep blue funk) I am slated to take my 9 year old daughter to see Little Mix at the South of England Showground on that day. 

Un-fucking-believable

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited July 2017
    McToot said:
    Just spotted this. What a truly beautiful place this is.  Kudos to the suggesters/organisers/payers and players. 

Alas (and I hang my head in a deep blue funk) I am slated to take my 9 year old daughter to see Little Mix at the South of England Showground on that day. 

Un-fucking-believable
    I suspect your ears will be no worse off than if you had to listen to me guitar strangling

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
    Given the numbers coming*, I'd say that having two rooms available is a good thing, otherwise there's going to be very limited playing time for most of the people there.

Not sure about splitting it between "advanced" & "noobs" (or however it'd be defined) as that seems like it would defeat some of the original purpose for the day of getting different ability/experience levels mixed together for all the good reasons.

That said, not sure how you could mix it together on any better a basis!

*30 booked/paid, so I'd expect c20 to actually show up on the day.  Various unexpected problems will emerge between now and then which will prevent a good proportion making it.  In my experience of these things ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    McToot said:

Un-fucking-believable
    I suspect your ears will be no worse off than if you had to listen to me guitar strangling
    I think you're overestimating Little Mix...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2083
    Should I be lucky enough to get a reserve place.....happy to jam loads of covers, or learn anything prior to, can I bring acoustic?

I can bring the Kemper, plus  headphone amp and a few cans for private listening,

Will there be a list of instruments people intend to bring so we dont get 25 Les Pauls and not much else !

I have a couple of small amps if needed, leads, di box all that jazz....

Also...Im guessing this could get noisy.....possible quiet times like the Bham guitar show?

Can someone drop out please..... 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
    spark240 said:

so we dont get 25 Les Pauls and not much else !

yeah but one of them might be a good 'un ...
    :D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited July 2017
    spark240 said: 
    Can someone drop out please..... 
    You can buy my ticket. It's from the original 10 issued and is now relic'd so common sense dictates it's now worth about 3 grand. Ppg? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    McToot said:
    McToot said:

Un-fucking-believable
    I think you're overestimating Little Mix...
    To be fair, they are quite easy on the eye.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Just to add my contribution - since we have the funds and the number of participants two rooms is a very good idea (wasn't "Two Rooms" an Elton John covers album?)
    Exactly what we do with it can be pinned down later, whether practice, chill out, advanced playing, or whatever.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Ive got an idea for the second room...

Image result for turkish smoke pipe

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I'm a bit late to this as I usually hang about in Amps rather than geetars.

Can I get on the reserve list please? Happy to bring amps and cabs if required (Rambler,D Clone, 1987clone,etc )

Now for a bit of bribery.....how about some beer??? I have some rather decent (and I am a beer snob so if it was crap it would have gone down the drain by now) bottled beers which actually do need drinking as I need to free up some crate space for new brews.

I also have a lot of song sheets (nearly 90) prepared over the course of 10 years in various attempts at getting bands into regular gigging. These were roundly criciticed by @Phil_aka_Pip a while ago as being neither use nor ornament but I believe they form a very decent basis for getting everyone to follow the song properly. So they have the chords, lyrics and the song structure, but you need to know how the song goes in order to work with them.

I'd be happy to share these if they'd be of any use. List of songs is here
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5ww4ojyipvgqjt/SongNames.txt?dl=0

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited July 2017
    @hywelg ;;
    Sure....I'll put you on the reserve list later when I'm at home.
    I'm not sure about drinking beer on the premises at quad. Studios tend to discourage it but I don't know that for sure.

Phil is someone I consider a friend but I agree with you about song sheets, they are eminently useful and it's something I mentioned very early on. Im not sure why Phil would have criticised that? There's plenty of time for us to sort that out though and the song suggestions are closed for now.

I'll put your name down as reserve and see what happens. You're number 2 on that list behind @spark240 ;;

• VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    Initially I was in two minds apart having two rooms as opposed to the original one room (maybe I just don't like change).  I think my main fear was that the 'experienced' room would attract all those that could really play etc and the 'inexperienced' room would be left full of people that can't (e.g. me).  That defeats the purpose of the exercise and would probably make it even more intimidating for those at an early stage.

But, given how the discussion has evolved, I now really like the idea of a second room.  Especially if some of it can be used for learning about set-ups, trying out gear, chatting to folks etc.  That doesn't mean to say that the experienced guys shouldn't get a chance to show their skills by any means - in fact that will give us something to aspire to.

From my perspective, if I can play just 1 song most of the way through with some others then I'll be very happy!  Then @Alnico and @Bridgehouse will see the smiles they talked about earlier.

Good idea to have 2 overall.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    FWIW I agree a second room is a very good idea. For all the purposes previously suggested - guitar ogling, tuning and setup; chilling out and chatting; some freestyle noodling. And possibly simply for gear storage - there's going to be a lot of gear there, and whilst I don't know how big the main room is, surely it would be good to minimise clutter. The main room is properly choreographed with set lists etc, the second room anything goes.  Certainly not split between noob/experience, both should be encouraged to mix. 

The only down side I can think of is it thins out the audience for the main room. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    hywelg said:

Now for a bit of bribery.....how about some beer??? I have some rather decent (and I am a beer snob so if it was crap it would have gone down the drain by now) bottled beers which actually do need drinking as I need to free up some crate space for new brews.

I did offer a couple of crates of free beer a few pages back.   It is stuff @hwelg would likely pour down the drain on principle, but most would be more than happy with.   If you do bring some, I may be drinking from your stash ;)

I was thinking about a crate of whatever is new from Sharp's (I am just about to go and taste a brand new one) or Franciscan Well, and a crate of one of the better lagers -  Bavaria or Staro etc.      Just refreshment rather than a piss up.

But if @alnico thinks its not a good idea that's understandable

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    It's not that I think that as such, it's that Quad is an upmarket very not-scruffy place and they *might* frown on it in the afternoon but I don't know that for sure, it's just an educated guess from previous experience of the place.

Drinks afterwards would be great but as a driver that day (like a lot will be) I won't even have one but I'm sure there will be those who aren't driving that will.

I'm not a killjoy,  those who know me personally will vouch for me being quote the opposite but unless I'm over worrying the situition at Quad my *guess* is that they wouldn't like that many people there drinking.

Most of their booking will be a group of no more than 8 people at a time as bands so this is different enough for them.
    Tell you what though at some point we'll find a way to ask them without putting them off the whole thing and risking being told no.

@Bridgehouse booked it so I'll ask him his opinion and if anyone's going to approach them to ask it'll be him.

I'm not known for PR and less for being tactful so we'll look Into the for you.

How's that ?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    Yeah, I do think it's understandable if they say no.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    WezV said:
    Yeah, I do think it's understandable if they say no.
    Compared to some studio/rehearsal places I've been to it's dead posh!!