Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September - Running Order V4 Now up!!

What's Hot

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Vinylfan said:
    Alnico said:
    Vinylfan said:
    I have a THR10 and a Vox VT40+ that I can bring along to any amp shoot-out if needed.  

Other than that, I'd be up for someone taking a look at my guitar to make sure its set-up as well as can be and to learn how to do it properly myself.
    Those two amps would be a very worthy addition to the shootout and in return, I would be happy to check you guitar over and set it up for you. Thanks for bringing them if you can!

I'm not a tech and I don't get as heavily involved as some but providing you don't need things like frets levelling or nuts replacing, setting up what's already there is something I can do for you. If we have strings to fit as well then a clean up and restring plus check it all over and reset as needed will probably work wonders.
    I'm sure if I can't or I'm busy with something else, either @Bridgehouse @WezV @Roland @impmann and quite a few others will be able to use the tools we have collectively and help.
    I've been restocking my guitar toolbox so opening that up and laying it all out might be something for those who aren't sure of what to have in a guitar toolkit might enjoy looking at. There's probably more in there than you'd imagine and everything has a purpose in some way.
    I'm pretty sure Glenn Fricker did an episode of Spectre Sound Studios covering this topic but it might be interesting for some to see.

What guitar is it you have?
    @Alnico - that would be very cool, thanks.  I'm happy to bring any of the kit that I have - not much outside of those 2 amps at the moment.

The guitar I have is a Yamaha Pacifica 112 - it seems ok to me in terms of set-up, but I am pretty sure that it could be made much better.  I've played with setting it up a little and adjusted the odd string here and there, but mainly I just tune it!  I would love to make sure that its sounding its best and also to learn more about how to do it.

Cheers
    No problem,

I'd be happy to show you right through that guitar and how to set it all up.
    I'll PM you closer to the time and make sure we've got it all worked out in advance.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Just thinking. I've got one of those little Marshall 1w anniversary amps. JTM1. Would be nice nice to crank it through a cab if there's any there
    monofin said:
    Just thinking. I've got one of those little Marshall 1w anniversary amps. JTM1. Would be nice nice to crank it through a cab if there's any there
    I would be very surprised if we get through the whole day without seeing a cab of some description Jase, there MUST either be one there or an amp / cab coming with us that will allow that input, surely ?

Do you have variable speaker impedance on that amp?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    Alnico said:

Those two amps would be a very worthy addition to the shootout and in return, I would be happy to check you guitar over and set it up for you. Thanks for bringing them if you can!

I'm not a tech and I don't get as heavily involved as some but providing you don't need things like frets levelling or nuts replacing, setting up what's already there is something I can do for you. If we have strings to fit as well then a clean up and restring plus check it all over and reset as needed will probably work wonders. I'm sure if I can't or I'm busy with something else, either @Bridgehouse @WezV @Roland @impmann and quite a few others will be able to use the tools we have collectively and help.
    Now I'm wondering how best to help on the day. I'm happy to demonstrate the AxeFX. Not just amp sounds, but FX and live workflow. I'm also happy to do light weight guitar setup: intonation, action, pickup height, restringing etc. Not fret dressing because there's not enough time. I'm also happy to help with organisation, getting people lined up ready to play, and keeping things to schedule. Unfortunately I can't do all three. Let me know which you'd prefer.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2083
    Well....if I get a lucky ticket....I have Kemper Profiler, Gallien Krueger 250ML, Vox Valvetronix 120, Roland AC60, Marshall Valvestat combo, take your pick. I have a few decent guitars so rather than double up with someone else, Ill list them nearer the time and see which is of more benefit. Also got a Boss RC300 looper for added fun !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Roland said:
    Alnico said:

I'm not a tech and I don't get as heavily involved as some but providing you don't need things like frets levelling or nuts replacing, setting up what's already there is something I can do for you. If we have strings to fit as well then a clean up and restring plus check it all over and reset as needed will probably work wonders. I'm sure if I can't or I'm busy with something else, either @Bridgehouse @WezV @Roland @impmann and quite a few others will be able to use the tools we have collectively and help.
    Now I'm wondering how best to help on the day. I'm happy to demonstrate the AxeFX. Not just amp sounds, but FX and live workflow. I'm also happy to do light weight guitar setup: intonation, action, pickup height, restringing etc. Not fret dressing because there's not enough time. I'm also happy to help with organisation, getting people lined up ready to play, and keeping things to schedule. Unfortunately I can't do all three. Let me know which you'd prefer.
    @Roland makes a good point here, I don't think there will be enough time to do fret stoning etc.
    Happy to look at anyone's guitar, and if I can help, all good.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited July 2017
    Boring voice of self imposed Jam Dictator warning:

I didn't envisage on the fly full setups. More along the lines of "here's how you measure relief and set your truss rod" or "here's how you intonate properly"

As a beginners session it was again meant as a light introduction to doing your own setups, and helping people get the most out of what you have, rather than proper full on setups.

I can imagine it would be a good forum for advice such as "this could do with a fret level - it's worth the money to do that" etc..

Again though, we are all adults and we need to stay in the realms of the possible. Do remember it's five hours in a rehearsal studio, there's a limit to what we can achieve!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    Yeah, I think levelling may be a bit too far.   I wouldn't want to be diagnosing and promising great results in that scenario.   We can realistically run through basic set-up and diagnosis of fretwork
    edited July 2017
    WezV said:
    Yeah, I think levelling may be a bit too far.   I wouldn't want to be diagnosing and promising great results in that scenario.   We can realistically run through basic set-up and diagnosis of fretwork
    I always had a view in my mind that the Jam would be an opportunity for newcomers to say "why does my guitar play like shit? Is it me or is it a bit crap?" 

And we could look at it and help diagnose if it needed some tweaking, possibly even doing some of it. But a full set up? Nope.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Is anyone coming that sells a decent basic guitar tech kit? I'm thinking depth gauges, fret level thingy and maybe a nut file? I've got some basic bits but I've always held off buying the one stop kit from my lgs because frankly it seems overpriced for what it is. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    When are we getting  a song list? There's all the talk about t-shirts, video and amp shoot-outs but no song list as yet. 
     There's 6 weeks until it happens which means 3 lessons where I can work on stuff with my teacher and it would help if I can start this week. Practice and playing are limited for me at the mo so sooner the better. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

We are working on that - I have been away for the week and I need to get a few bits of admin done with the others, including the song list.

Apologies, but on this occasion the day job has got in the way (yes, even on a weekend sadly)
    When are we getting  a song list? There's all the talk about t-shirts, video and amp shoot-outs but no song list as yet. 
     There's 6 weeks until it happens which means 3 lessons where I can work on stuff with my teacher and it would help if I can start this week. Practice and playing are limited for me at the mo so sooner the better. 
    This..........
    Plus, No sleep last night until 7 pm tonight when meds forced the issue.
    Just woke up and forcing coffee so......

Give me an hour and It'll be up.
    The list is something we' three have discussed and decided to start from.
    Let's see what the "Satisfied Masses" think of it and move forward from there.

Now,......COFFEE and matchsticks.
    Roland said:
    Alnico said:

That was what I said about not getting too heavily involved, but if there's a few of us that can do what I've been qouted as saying above here, that will speed things up, especially if we do one guitar but address a small group of people who want to learn in a practical demo......
    impmann said:
    Roland said:
    Alnico said:

@Roland makes a good point here, I don't think there will be enough time to do fret stoning etc.
    Happy to look at anyone's guitar, and if I can help, all good.
    ..........Like Tim says here........

Boring voice of self imposed Jam Dictator warning:

I didn't envisage on the fly full setups. More along the lines of "here's how you measure relief and set your truss rod" or "here's how you intonate properly"

As a beginners session it was again meant as a light introduction to doing your own setups, and helping people get the most out of what you have, rather than proper full on setups.

I can imagine it would be a good forum for advice such as "this could do with a fret level - it's worth the money to do that" etc..

Again though, we are all adults and we need to stay in the realms of the possible. Do remember it's five hours in a rehearsal studio, there's a limit to what we can achieve!
    ........and the actual distance between what I'm talking about and the point you're making here is less than you think.
    Quick (ish) demo's using one of the guitars that needs it to show others and hopefully inspire people to go home and do their own guitar etc.

Please don't forget that we're rolling with the punches as we come up with and implement these ideas everyone so what I mentioned about doing this side of it *IS* one aspect of the afternoon, with a strict eye on the clock to allow for other things happening.
    WezV said:
    That's what I said..........

WezV said:
    I always had a view in my mind that the Jam would be an opportunity for newcomers to say "why does my guitar play like shit? Is it me or is it a bit crap?" 

And we could look at it and help diagnose if it needed some tweaking, possibly even doing some of it. But a full set up? Nope.
    There *Might Be* time to do one and demo it,........That was my Idea but as such it was just an idea.
    Good or bad it's not set in stone...........at this point in the waking up process,.......Pun intended.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561

<space for hire>
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
    OK OK...I'm such a tease.

Here you go.

Nice of @Adji to send me some packing material...I've been running out.
    <space for hire>
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    OK OK...I'm such a tease.

Here you go.

Nice of @Adji to send me some packing material...I've been running out.
    Ya know, my Les Paul I'm bringing will probably need re-stringing around early September time... ?? :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    Strings!

Stickers and flyers:

String winders and picks:

Headstands (never heard of them, but such a great thing):

...and some rather optimistically-sized t-shirts:

<space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    Great looking care package!   Thanks to the guys at D'Addario.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom