Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September - Running Order V4 Now up!!

What's Hot

Comments

• DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    Ah bugger, it looks like I've missed the boat.

If you do another one, I'd be more than happy to do a jazz workshop. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited July 2017
    Danji said:
    Ah bugger, it looks like I've missed the boat.

If you do another one, I'd be more than happy to do a jazz workshop. 
    I can put your name on the reserve list, we still don't yet know who's going to get mugged by life before the event and it might pay to be on there?
    Just a thought.
    Let me know if you'd like that?

Someone who *can* teach Jazz properly would be a useful addition to one of these events.
    I'll be honest and say I don't really like Jazz but I respect it as a Genre and I respect those who can and do play it so in this scenario I would certainly give it my full attention and *try* to take in what it's all about.

If you do come to this or one of the future events, I would urge everyone else to do the same. 30-40 minutes of learning something new will never hurt anyone and even if you don't walk away wanting to listen to and play the style, you might just pick up something which will help you in the genre you do like,....for example, a certain lick or run might just open up something in your rock/blues playing that you didn't previously think of?

@Danjii I think it's a great Idea but as you're coming into this late, even if you do get in on a last minute cancellation we may or may not be able to fit too much of it in and @bigjon with @digitalscream are handling the workshop side of this.
    If it does happen this time, you can talk to those two about stitching something into what they've got planned but as for future events, now we know this is what you do, we'll make sure you're one of the first ones to be involved from the organiser stages and definitely get you in on this.

I'm sure I can speak for the others when I say that it would be a refreshing and interesting change to have someone who can teach this style properly involved in one of these events and bring some variation to the common theme of rock and blues.

How's that?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Bass Players:

I have added a selection of songs I'll play bass on (split across the set so that I can have plenty of gaps for organising etc.) - Please do feel free to jump in and claim other songs you'd like to play bass on.

Bass Equipment:

Both rooms will have a house bass amp - and I will bring my Vanderkley 2x10 with EICH Head. I'll have a small board with me but I will probably keep that with me as I may use it in the other room from time to time, but any other bass players are welcome to bring their own board/amps/cabs, or go straight into either the house amp or my head/cab. 

I probably won't bring any guitars, as I think it will be more useful for me to maximise Bass stuff in the car - so I will bring a few basses along. I will bring my MiM Classic 50's P - which will remain in the Theatre and will be free for anyone who is playing in the main Jam to use if you don't have a bass with you or can't bring one. Of course, you will be welcome to use your own :)

I'll have the 64 P with me, and will use that for songs I'm playing on, but it will stay with me for the day - firstly if I need it in the other room, and also because it's an expensive bit of kit and I'd rather know where it is at all times.. If anyone does want to have a go on it then that's no problem - we can find a spot in the Curve to have a play. 

If you want to play bass and you are bringing kit then please do say and I can keep a note of what amps/heads etc. will be around on the day
    Etiquette:

I know this might sound a bit obvious to say, but it is worth stating here and now anyway.

Some people will be bringing some pretty expensive kit. Some people will be bringing kit that means a lot to them, even if it's not of high monetary value. 

I'd like to establish a very simple set of rules:

- If you'd like to play someone else's Guitar/Amp/Bass/Pedal Board/FX Unit/Keyboard/Drums/Nose Flute etc.. then please please please ask first
    - If the owner of said kit says no, for whatever reason, then please do NOT be offended, question the decision, or persist in asking

I know this sounds a bit anal, but it's important that there is trust in both rooms when we are all there. Accidents do happen, and some people are very careful with their equipment for a reason - I want this to be a fun, relaxed day - and not have people feeling anxious about their kit, worried about someone borrowing it, or indeed feeling obliged to say yes if someone wants to have a go. 

I'm the boss, and them's the rules. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Etiquette:

I know this might sound a bit obvious to say, but it is worth stating here and now anyway.

Some people will be bringing some pretty expensive kit. Some people will be bringing kit that means a lot to them, even if it's not of high monetary value. 

- If you'd like to play someone else's Guitar/Amp/Bass/Pedal Board/FX Unit/Keyboard/Drums/Nose Flute etc.. then please please please ask first
    - If the owner of said kit says no, for whatever reason, then please do NOT be offended, question the decision, or persist in asking

I know this sounds a bit anal, but it's important that there is trust in both rooms when we are all there. Accidents do happen, and some people are very careful with their equipment for a reason - I want this to be a fun, relaxed day - and not have people feeling anxious about their kit, worried about someone borrowing it, or indeed feeling obliged to say yes if someone wants to have a go. 

Agree totally , personally I don't mind people using my guitars, I would encourage it , but......I would request no horrible belt buckles , dangley watches and all that jazz....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    Etiquette:

- If you'd like to play someone else's Nose Flute
    Oooooo - always wanted to have a go on one of those!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    Etiquette:

- If you'd like to play someone else's Nose Flute
    Oooooo - always wanted to have a go on one of those!
    Don't forget to ask first then ;)
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    Bass Players:

I have added a selection of songs I'll play bass on (split across the set so that I can have plenty of gaps for organising etc.) - Please do feel free to jump in and claim other songs you'd like to play bass on.

Bass Equipment:

Both rooms will have a house bass amp - and I will bring my Vanderkley 2x10 with EICH Head. I'll have a small board with me but I will probably keep that with me as I may use it in the other room from time to time, but any other bass players are welcome to bring their own board/amps/cabs, or go straight into either the house amp or my head/cab. 

I probably won't bring any guitars, as I think it will be more useful for me to maximise Bass stuff in the car - so I will bring a few basses along. I will bring my MiM Classic 50's P - which will remain in the Theatre and will be free for anyone who is playing in the main Jam to use if you don't have a bass with you or can't bring one. Of course, you will be welcome to use your own :)

I'll have the 64 P with me, and will use that for songs I'm playing on, but it will stay with me for the day - firstly if I need it in the other room, and also because it's an expensive bit of kit and I'd rather know where it is at all times.. If anyone does want to have a go on it then that's no problem - we can find a spot in the Curve to have a play. 

If you want to play bass and you are bringing kit then please do say and I can keep a note of what amps/heads etc. will be around on the day
    Excellent. I'll bring my Markbass combo for the other room. Those Vanderkleys are awesome btw. I'll bring at least one bass. 

TTony has got me down for some bass songs on the other thread and I'm happy to do them all. There are some gaps so people can fill those in if they wish. Also, if anyone is desperate to do some songs on bass that I am down for, PM me and I'll see what I can do. This will be limited as I wont be giving them all away. 

• slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    Etiquette:

Quoty things not working 

Excellent, I was going to limit what I was going to bring. But with these rules in place I'm happy to bring more. I'll probably make some stickers with Yes or Ask on them, or something. 
    The rules are something that's there to give people some piece of mind on the day.

I think @Bridgehouse has done an excellent job with the organisation of this event so far.
    I'm one of the guys helping and I'll try to be as much help on the day as the others are but behind the scenes this really is mostly down to Bridgehouse and it's to his credit that this has come together the way it has.
    slacker said:
    Quoty things not working 

Excellent, I was going to limit what I was going to bring. But with these rules in place I'm happy to bring more. I'll probably make some stickers with Yes or Ask on them, or something. 
    That's a good idea. I don't mind anyone playing my MIM precision whenever - it's a gigging tool and gets abused anyway. 

But the 64 P is too valuable for that - and so I like your sticker idea.

"Yes, please have a go"
    "Please ask if you want to have a go"
    "Please don't touch - it's my second wife and it means more to me than the first one" 

;)
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I'm doing myself crib sheets for the songs I'm involved in. If anyone else wants any made up let me know. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    I really like the stickers idea as well.
    Nice one @slacker ;
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    I wouldn't dream of picking up someone's guitar without prior permission.  I think it's very generous of people to allow others to "have a go", well done guys!
    slacker said:
    I'll probably make some stickers with Yes or Ask on them, or something. 
    Or you could just use a nice thick permanent marker pen ... be easier than all those stickers

;)

And now for the really important stuff ...

The t-shirts have arrived
    :)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well I'm excited  !
    Who doesn't love a good t shirt ?

Thanks Tony.
    I'll pay on the day if that's OK with you?
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 829
    edited July 2017
    Hi All,

Wouldnt mind popping in, if placed become available.  Not interested in the Jamming side as such - been playing too long, but Im only in Nottingham and it would be great to meet some of you, and catch up with @octatonic who I havent seen in ages.

Would happily bring my P90 loaded Tom Anderson for people to see/touch/play as its not regular fair - and have my AXF/Power Station rig I could bring for the shoot out.  Id happy to run through it, and help people design patches to have fun with it if theres a spare corner as well - could do it with headphones at a push.

If not - no biggie, theres always next time.  Thats what you get for being away for a few months.  If I dont get - have fun everyone.
    Hi All,

Wouldnt mind popping in, if placed become available.  Not interested in the Jamming side as such - been playing too long, but Im only in Nottingham and it would be great to meet some of you, and catch up with @octatonic who I havent seen in ages.

Would happily bring my P90 loaded Tom Anderson for people to see/touch/play as its not regular fair - and have my AXF/Power Station rig I could bring for the shoot out.  Id happy to run through it, and help people design patches to have fun with it if theres a spare corner as well - could do it with headphones at a push.

If not - no biggie, theres always next time.  Thats what you get for being away for a few months.  If I dont get - have fun everyone.
    I'll put you on the reserve list now Paul.

@Danji ......do you want me to do the same for you?
    IMPORTANT UPDATE - please read!!

I have been musing over timing for the Jam, and I'm concerned that it will all be a bit tight to fit everything in. 

So I have made an executive decision and extended the bookings for both rooms. I'm funding this myself - so nobody has to pay anything more.. same great jam, same money, more hours!! 

Here's how it will work:

11.30 - 12.00

Intros, setup time and getting to know people. I will do a small formal intro for everyone so you know who is who etc. Feel free to turn up anytime between 11.30 and 12.00. Organisers will be there from 11.30 when both rooms will be available.

12.00 - 5.00

Normal Jam session - as planned. 20 songs, 5 hours, which is 15 mins per song. As we have extra time it's not a massive problem if we overrun a bit. If you want you can turn up just for this bit, as you might have other plans!

5.00 - 6.00

Contingency time - and an opportunity to do the amp shootout, some of the workshops, and general social and gear chat time. This hour is more relaxed and informal - both rooms still available.

6.00 - 6.30

Packing up time, contingency and general chat/sorting ourself out time. It takes a while to get everyone sorted, so this is an opportunity to make sure we aren't rushed getting packed away etc. 

This now means both rooms are booked from 11.30 - 6.30 - 7 hours to fill!

I feel a lot better about timings now, and I hope everyone else does too. Remember, you are free to come and go whenever you like, but the main Jam will be 12-5 still.

Public service announcement over
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom