Valve amps: 'Mute'able speakers

sm55onlsm55onl Frets: 28
Name (list) me some valve amps that emulate a speaker load and, thus, one can 'mute' the speaker and listen via headphones (directly from the amp or via line out to a mixer, etc) ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Boogie MkV:25
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Blackstar HT5
    Marshall DSL5
    Some Mesas (eg Subway series, Dual Caliber series)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Kemper (OK, it's not a valve amp but meets the brief otherwise).
  • sm55onlsm55onl Frets: 28
    Thanks....i can also add 
    - Brunetti Metropolitan

There is also a Koch amp....but can't remember which model off-hand, at the mo'.
    sm55onl said:

There is also a Koch amp....but can't remember which model off-hand, at the mo'.
    Good point... Koch Studiotone XL. Great little amp that.
    edited July 2017
    Koch Studiotone XL.....that's the boy !

Have you owned / played through one ?
    sm55onl said:

Yeah, gigged one for a year or so and really rated it. Sounded much bigger and better than it's diminutive size and low weight would have you believe.
    simonk said:
    sm55onl said:

Yeah, gigged one for a year or so and really rated it. Sounded much bigger and better than it's diminutive size and low weight would have you believe.
    Did you use the mute option often....in studio/practice ?

ICBM said:
    Blackstar HT5
    Marshall DSL5
    ICBM, have owned all of these or seen them running through your business/work ?
    Do you rate either the Subway or Dual Caliber series ?
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 178
    Somewhat surprisingly the old 90s Fender Champ 25SE could do this. The headphone output used a switching jack to send the output to a load resistor (oddly only rated at 10 watts in a 25 watt amp, so cranking it might be unwise).  Mine was a nice sounding amp, if you ignored the drive channel.  
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    H and k grandmiester 36
    edited July 2017
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    H&K do the speaker defeat and line out iirc
    sm55onl said:
    simonk said:
    sm55onl said:

Did you use the mute option often....in studio/practice ?
    I can't recall ever using the speaker defeat TBH. I'm sure I must have used the DI out although I can't remember it specifically so I guess it just worked as it should.

I've used the DI out on the MkV:25 loads (albeit never with the speaker muted), both for live use and to record and think it works fine. I've never tried the standalone Cab Clone... it seems to have plenty of detractors though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    sm55onl said:

I've owned a Dual Caliber DC-5, and seen all of the others through the shop. I liked the DC-5 a lot - it was my only gigging amp in a variety of bands for six or seven years - but these days I would say it's a bit dated… it has that very dark 90s-type sound, although it can be quite versatile it doesn't really do any 'vintage' type sounds. Not quite so keen on the DC-2 and DC-3, they're a bit 'shouty'.

I also briefly borrowed a Subway Rocket for a particular band, but hated it! Really nasal and midrangy. (Much prefered the solid-state Peavey Studio 110 I replaced it with.) On the other hand the Subway Blues is a wonderful-sounding amp, actually much more like a mini-Blue Angel than like the other Subways - but no master volume or channel switching, if that's something you're after.

The HT-5 is OK. I'm not a fan of the Blackstar sound I have to say - but a lot of people do seem to like them. Earlier HT-5s have a known reliability problem, but this was fixed, so a new one (or one of the reverb models, which are later) should be fine.

The Marshall I'm least familiar with, I just saw one with a blown power valve and didn't really test it extensively but it seemed OK.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1591
    sm55onl said:

ICBM said:
    Blackstar HT5
    Marshall DSL5

Actually all the HT and Series One range. Pull out the speaker plug and the OP valves are biased hard off. Leave the master volume at min for added safety and you have a very heavy preamp with EM out!

Dave.

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    Egnater Rebel 30 heads and combos.