Atomic Amplifire vs Bluguitar Amp1

chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
I'm looking for an amp or modeller that is portable, and can be used with headphones or in a band situation. I've narrowed my search down to these two units.
Any opinions on which is better? They're both roughly the same price, and have similar dimensions etc. 
Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
    Further to the above, clean headroom is important to me.  I'm not really a high gain player.  I'm more into funk and blues. I plan to use analog dirt pedals in front of the amp. 
    I've seen clips on the Internet, but because of where I am right now  (Korea), I haven't been able to try either out myself. I'm coming back to the UK soon and I want to pick something up.
    I've noticed used Amplifires popping up for sale here and there. Are people not happy with them? 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    They are totally different.

The Bluguitar is an amp the Amplifire is a multi fx modeller.
    Which one would you buy if you had a straight choice? I know what they are and what they do etc, but I'm just curious what people think.  I basically need something i can use for home practice and for jamming. In other words, which one sounds better? Thanks again. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I've had both.

I sent the Bluguitar back because it didn't sound that great and had some issues in use.

The Amplifire I gigged for some time. It sounds very good but is tricky to program due to the UI.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    If you're planning on using pedals anyway, why not consider something like a Quilter mini amp?
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    edited July 2017
    I own, use and enjoy an AMP1. Using mainly single coil guitars (and one Wide range Tele) and focusing on the clean and vintage channels of the amp. I get some lovely tones, but horrid tones are also available...

Apart from the reverb, it is all analogue. Within a band situation, it fits in fine - small, weighs nothing, cuts through the mix and sounds decent. By itself, definitely not as good as a boutique amp. Really high gain settings can sound a bit fizzy. High power amp settings sound decent. Takes pedals into clean/vintage channels well and they do not sound fizzy, so that's the way to go IMHO. 

It works OK with headphones and the speaker emulated output isn't bad but not great. Sounds much better with an IR. 

A decent live amp that gets the job done without knocking the socks off tone hounds. If it breaks, though, JHS will send it back to Germany. 

I'm using a FatCab with it, BTW, but it sounded fine using the V30 speaker in my Cornford, too. 

I think the Amplifire is a different sort of animal addressing similar needs in a different way. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

As pointed out, one is an amp and one isn't, In a band situation do you plan to have a cabinet with you or run in to the PA? 

simonk said:
    If you're planning on using pedals anyway, why not consider something like a Quilter mini amp?
    I looked into that, and they seem really impressive. Are they available in the UK? 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    simonk said:
    I looked into that, and they seem really impressive. Are they available in the UK? 
    They're very impressive! I have a 101 Reverb and OD200, both from Wembley Music Centre:

https://www.wembleymusiccentre.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Quilter+

They take pedals really well, loud as you like and tiny. I've not tried the headphone out on them mind.
    John_A said:

As pointed out, one is an amp and one isn't, In a band situation do you plan to have a cabinet with you or run in to the PA? 

At home I can't use a cabinet because of the neighbours etc. In the practice room, there is a 4X12 stack and a PA so I could go direct, or through the FX loop, or into the cabinet. 

How are the modulation sounds on the AA? Having those already included is kind of swaying me towards the Atomic, while the analog nature of the Amp1 suggests a more 'tube' tone. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    For headphone use and having the options to go direct or in to an amp you really don't need the 'Amp' bit of the blueguitar and I think the atomic is the better sounding option
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    option C the Digitech RP360 
    Cabicular said:
    option C the Digitech RP360 
    Had that and sold it for the Zoom G3. Found the amp modeling to very uninspiring on both. Sold the G3 too, so now looking for something better. 
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    The Atomic is good but hard work. The editor is helpful but it just seemed a lot of hassle
    The Bluguitar is entirely unsuitable for your needs. I struggled to get anything out of it at any volume. Plus the drop out when you hit the boost button is just intolerable