Would You Pay for Something over the Phone?

BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
I've had a week long effort with Hotcovers trying to get covers made up for my Goldfinger Amp Head and Cab. I sent off dimensions on Monday as my stuff is not one of the models they have templates for and after a few emails(which were responded to) and a phone call to remind them, the guy says they have been having issues with the company who runs their website regarding uploading new products.

So the guy has asked for my Phone number, Billing and Delivery details and wants to call me Monday to process payment. I am a little uneasy about paying like this. I know it may sound hyper paranoid, but that's just me. I would have thought I could pay them using Paypal or something. I know they are a genuine Company but I still feel uneasy about it.

Any advice?

Thanks.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• No problem at all. Just pay him and enjoy your goodies. 
  • Pay him with a credit card. You're protected as the credit card company assumes the risk.
  • I've paid for my Zilla cab like that - no worries at all.
  • I ordered from Hot Covers the other week (via the website for a listed product) and it arrived fine. There are a decent company with a longstanding reputation. I wouldn't be worried, but still always best to use a credit card for online/phone orders.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    Yeh, I just completed my 3rd order with them & they one of the best to deal with. I would have no worries on the phone. 
    And as the guys say pay with cc so you are protected anyway. 

Cheers
    Baz

• NerineNerine Frets: 2132
    I'm frankly amazed when people just pay the online price.

If I want something, I check their online price, then call to see if it's in stock, and to see what their best deal is. I barter a bit. Then always pay less than what I was going to.

Even if it's £50-100, that's still good in my book.

I've just been putting together a second studio/mix room to facilitate my work, and I saved £700-800 on the new Pro Tools rig. Just for getting a couple of quotes...
    Stupid to just pay the price that it's up for on the website.
    I do it with everything I buy now. Speak to a human. Barter. Win.

So I guess what I'm saying is, yes. Paying over the phone has never caused me an issue.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

How do you think people paid for stuff before the internet? :)

• I've bought lots of stuff over the phone like this with a credit card from established companies and dealers. Like Nerine says, sometimes it can also be a chance to see if there is any further scope on price.

It also gives a chance to confirm that stuff is in stock, delivery dates, etc....
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • Thanks guys, I don't know why, I just had a massive case of uncertainty about it, I'm a suspicious minded f*cker, Lol.

I know I've paid for Hotels and stuff on the phone before, like I said though, just had a bout of doubt, maybe because it's not "High Street" so to speak, daft, I know.

I have been known to haggle, I got a few quid off my enormous gear purchase a couple of years back, wasn't a great haggle, but not bad. They were the only stockist of my Amp and Cab in the UK, so they had me over a barrel really.

The price quoted for the Amp and Cab covers is £78 inc del, which seems the norm looking at his website prices, it ain't a bad price to say it's not one of his standard templates.

I will use the Credit Card like some have mentioned for the protection etc.

If the owner of the Business is on here, Soz 
    :D
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Another plus for Hot Covers, never had a problem with them, and I've ordered about ten of their covers over the last few years. I'd be happy to pay them over the phone.