Helix and FRFR... controlled feedback?

What's Hot
Strat_a_tat_tatStrat_a_tat_tat Frets: 2761
I'm a rock dinosaur... with a valve amp... and - on a gig - I like to lean into the amp and use a bit of controlled feedback to sustain the odd note here and there. If I were to gig with a L6 Helix and a Yamaha DXR10 as a wedge monitor (in front of me) but no backline amp... is controlled feedback a realistic option?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Yes
    You need to find your positions (and I don't go to the Vai extreme of marking them out) but it definitely happens as long as you don't have too aggressive a gate on
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Cabicular Thanks.  I guess if I get the position of the monitor wrong... I might have the opposite problem... too much feedback. LOL.
    The best thing I can say is the first time I went full ampless (FRFR Only)  with the Helix I had forgotten about it by the second song

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7412
    Yes. The laws of physics remain unaffected by FRFR use :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Cabicular said:
    The best thing I can say is the first time I went full ampless (FRFR Only)  with the Helix I had forgotten about it by the second song

That's reassuring. Did you have an FRFR behind you (where you'd normally have your amp) or was your FRFR in front of you as a wedge on the floor? I'm planning on using the DXR10 as a normal monitor - with vocals and my guitar coming through it.

So... guitar to Helix... Helix to mixer... mixer output to DXR10 as a monitor (guitar and vocals) plus output to FOH speakers.

• TimmyO said:

LOL.

Where do you have your FRFR when you gig? Behind or in front of you?

TimmyO said:

LOL.

I've not gigged mine - but have had it loud in a rehearsal room. In respect of feedback it all behaves exactly as you're used to - i.e. in some rooms and on some days the sweetspot is one place, another day another.

I suspect that using it in front/wedge position will make it easier to coax, rather than behind for the usual reasons of volume/closeness
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    TimmyO said:

LOL.

I've not gigged mine - but have had it loud in a rehearsal room. In respect of feedback it all behaves exactly as you're used to - i.e. in some rooms and on some days the sweetspot is one place, another day another.

I suspect that using it in front/wedge position will make it easier to coax, rather than behind for the usual reasons of volume/closeness

Yeah... my guess is if the wedge speaker is pointing straight up at the guitar I won't have problems getting feedback... more likely to have problems avoiding feedback!
    TimmyO said:
    TimmyO said:

LOL.

Yeah... my guess is if the wedge speaker is pointing straight up at the guitar I won't have problems getting feedback... more likely to have problems avoiding feedback!
    unless you've got very prone pickups or play at very high monitor volume I doubt it'll be troublesome 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    TimmyO said:

LOL.

I don't notice any difference and I sometimes bust out a White Falcon. All the usual rules apply. In some ways it might be worse because it is physically closer but in other ways it might be better as there is physically less SPL overall
    Practically it just feeds when I stand in a certain place and don't dampen
    I'm a singer so if anything is going to feedback from the wedges it will be my mic (different type of feedback I know but similar rules apply)

• TimmyO said:
    TimmyO said:
    TimmyO said:

LOL.

unless you've got very prone pickups or play at very high monitor volume I doubt it'll be troublesome 

Thanks.  Time to turn up the volume and give it a try!