Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Standard Tory
    My V key is broken
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    To make a slip like that suggests that the person actually uses that word in private company, even that is mind boggling. These arseholes literally live on a different planet to ours.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I have actually experienced someone using this phrase and challenged them on it.

They acted totally shocked and I think they really had been using it as a phrase without thinking about the meaning of the words. 

Doesn't excuse it of course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 229
    Never seen a woodpile!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    holnrew said:
    Standard Tory
    I don't think that's actually fair - politicians of all stripes have been caught saying shit like that. It's just that bashing the Tories is the current fashion, so it gets reported more often; go back 10 years, and exactly the same thing was happening with Labour MPs.

What I don't get is how politicians in general don't seem to learn their bloody lessons - this happens with such alarming regularity that you'd think they'd...well, think before they open their mouths.
    <space for hire>
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    My mum still refers to a certain dark brown colour as n****r brown. But then she's 92 and not exactly in the public eye very often. You'd think an MP would  be slightly more attuned to what's acceptable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    One of my old bosses used to use that expression frequently. He wasn't overtly racist, but would sometimes say things that would give the game away when he got a little too comfortable, and the other boss would immediately challenge him on it.
    There's few words that make me cringe as much as that one.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    As a public employee if I'd used that in a public forum I'd be subject to disciplinary procedures. She is a public employee ( in a much more senior and higher paid position than me) and should be subject to at least the same standards, saying a quick sorry isn't adequate. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    To make a slip like that suggests that the person actually uses that word in private company, even that is mind boggling. These arseholes literally live on a different planet to ours.
    Exactly, no one would accidentally use a phrase like that out of the blue, it s clearly a word she is comfortable using. She has a safe seat so it's no surprise she's complacent and out of touch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    I was on a bus (near Bolton) on Saturday evening with my wife.  There were 3 (white) women in (at a guess) their 50's, dressed as if going out for the evening, waiting at the bus-stop with us.  

When we got on the bus, they all started talking to a black woman of similar age who was already on it - clearly they all knew each other.  She (the black woman) said that word at least 3 times in the few minutes before we got off.

Racism is alive and well.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16010
    It's an old colloquiallism that doesn't have evil intent but it is offensive.
    I don't think somebody who uses it means badly but has a mouth that moves faster than their brain filters.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Very skeptical it's even real. Is there a non-Fake news source for this?? Absolutely wouldn't put it past the HuffPo to maliciously edit audio to make it sound like the n word.

Literally the first I've ever heard of this phrase!
    7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    When  Obama first appeared on the scene, my 89-year old Grandmother came out with "He's very well spoken for a n*****r". I would never EVER use the word myself (can't even bring myself to type it now) but it's just a word that was casually thrown around  by her generation. 

Some people do say there are no words that  should be out of bounds, but I hope that's one that never becomes acceptable again.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Okay, well she admitted saying it. Wowzers! I live a sheltered life it seems!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Aaaaaand she's been suspended. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    boogieman said:
    Aaaaaand she's been suspended. 
    It's what amazes me. MPs refuse to vote with their constituents for fear of losing their jobs, yet they'll happily say shit like this which will obviously get them sacked.

Madness.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Very skeptical it's even real. Is there a non-Fake news source for this?? Absolutely wouldn't put it past the HuffPo to maliciously edit audio to make it sound like the n word.

Literally the first I've ever heard of this phrase!
    I checked several sources before posting.
    I had to google the phrase too: LINKY
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    edited July 2017
    This issue is not the word but the intent.

I live in rural Wales. Here, the natives use the word "English" as an insult. 

No matter where you travel, the outsider and the wilfully different will be scapegoats.
    Be seeing you.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    on the current racism scale being displayed around the western world this is small fry, in the states it seems you can get shot for being black
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    While the term "N***er in the woodpile" originated as a reference to escaped slaves hiding in a literal wood pile it became used in literature to mean something hidden...

So, while the n-word has a lot of negative connotations can not the phrase be used in such a way as has been used in literature and never once think of it actually describing an escaped slave... i.e. a level of linguistic naivete rather than indicating that every other word out of her mouth is "n*****"

I mean... it probably is that she's a big ole racist... but it's always possible that she's not... even if only very unlikely 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom