N***** in a Woodpile.

What's Hot

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3447
    robgilmo said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    robgilmo said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    And so... we arrive at the point where Rob wanted to get to several pages ago. Go on mate... just say it.. you know you want to. Here... I'll help:

<puts on SJW retard hat>

You can't be racist towards white people

</takes off SJW retard hat>

There you go! Feel better?

Of course you can , I am White (does that surprise you?) and I have been subject to quite severe racism by other white people, and even when I got myself out of that situation that was happening daily I still get subject to it occasionally, racism isn't just about the colour of your skin.
    I'm curious - what have you experienced?

Because I'm not English I've held more than one job where my colleagues thought it Ok to think that because I'm not English I was somehow going to be the focus of their ignorance,in one job it got to the point where I was being introduced to customers in a way that both racially embarrassed me and the customer, and this was my ex boss, in the workshop the ''banter'' would single me out because of my race and wouldn't stop, there was never any other ''banter'' than me being singled out. I've had it in most jobs I've worked in this country but since moving to Suffolk it seems to be the ''norm'' here, I grow tired of it very quickly and I did try and say look, this isn't cool but that made it worse.
    I worked a job here where my boss ''thought'' my name was Patrick, he fucking knew what my name was but for some reason continued to call me ''Patrick'' , I clicked when I realised that I was being given the workload of the other two employees who got to go home early every other day and I had to work, with no breaks, no lunch, no rest breaks sometimes 12 hours a day, You might think it doesn't happen in this day and age, but I can assure you, it does.
    So I have a very strong dislike to anyone who believes it Ok to exercise racial ignorance, which probably for me makes things worse as I may be a little more sensitive to it than most. My latest job, the lads started with the ''banter'' but I'm fucked if I'm going to let it get to the point where it makes me feel like I don't want to go into work so I pretty much nipped it in the bud there and then, it did take me to be very up front and forward, and it still crops up and I still have to get up front and forward so as not to allow it to progress, and to be perfectly fucking honest I shouldn't have to be put in that situation, but I am, and I'm dealing with it. But I have a very strong understanding that race shouldn't be something a person has to defend, ever, so maybe I'm over sensitive, 

If that is to be considered racism (which is not technically accurate, though I get that the definition of racism has blurred to include all bigotry) then, in answer to your earlier question: Yes, I have been the victim of racism. I am English and have often found that nationals of other nearby states do not hold the English in very high regard.

robgilmo said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    robgilmo said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    And so... we arrive at the point where Rob wanted to get to several pages ago. Go on mate... just say it.. you know you want to. Here... I'll help:

<puts on SJW retard hat>

Of course you can , I am White (does that surprise you?) and I have been subject to quite severe racism by other white people, and even when I got myself out of that situation that was happening daily I still get subject to it occasionally, racism isn't just about the colour of your skin.

Because I'm not English I've held more than one job where my colleagues thought it Ok to think that because I'm not English I was somehow going to be the focus of their ignorance,in one job it got to the point where I was being introduced to customers in a way that both racially embarrassed me and the customer, and this was my ex boss, in the workshop the ''banter'' would single me out because of my race and wouldn't stop, there was never any other ''banter'' than me being singled out. I've had it in most jobs I've worked in this country but since moving to Suffolk it seems to be the ''norm'' here, I grow tired of it very quickly and I did try and say look, this isn't cool but that made it worse.
    I worked a job here where my boss ''thought'' my name was Patrick, he fucking knew what my name was but for some reason continued to call me ''Patrick'' , I clicked when I realised that I was being given the workload of the other two employees who got to go home early every other day and I had to work, with no breaks, no lunch, no rest breaks sometimes 12 hours a day, You might think it doesn't happen in this day and age, but I can assure you, it does.
    So I have a very strong dislike to anyone who believes it Ok to exercise racial ignorance, which probably for me makes things worse as I may be a little more sensitive to it than most. My latest job, the lads started with the ''banter'' but I'm fucked if I'm going to let it get to the point where it makes me feel like I don't want to go into work so I pretty much nipped it in the bud there and then, it did take me to be very up front and forward, and it still crops up and I still have to get up front and forward so as not to allow it to progress, and to be perfectly fucking honest I shouldn't have to be put in that situation, but I am, and I'm dealing with it. But I have a very strong understanding that race shouldn't be something a person has to defend, ever, so maybe I'm over sensitive, but I don't think I am.

If that is to be considered racism (which is not technically accurate, though I get that the definition of racism has blurred to include all bigotry) then, in answer to your earlier question: Yes, I have been the victim of racism. I am English and have often found that nationals of other nearby states do not hold the English in very high regard.

So introducing an Irish person to your customer as my slave and the stupid Irish person isnt racist, treating them differently in the work place because they are not English isnt racism? Its a good job the law and the courts dont hold the same views as you, do you think anti racism laws dont include the Irish? Have you got something against Irish people?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Let's get to the honky in the cotton pile
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Isnt Honkey a Southern American thing?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    robgilmo said:
    Isnt Honkey a Southern American thing?
    It is complicated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honky
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    edited July 2017
    I was more shocked at the woman's lack of judgement than anything else. What pisses me off is that people have curtailed her freedom to use the phrase (however misjudged) if she wanted to. The phrase she used wasn't meant in a racist way against anyone but merely as an outdated phrase. 

People should lighten up and listen to the context of the phrase rather than the words. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    robgilmo said:
    So introducing an Irish person to your customer as my slave and the stupid Irish person isnt racist, treating them differently in the work place because they are not English isnt racism? Its a good job the law and the courts dont hold the same views as you, do you think anti racism laws dont include the Irish? Have you got something against Irish people?
    It isn't racism because "Irish" (like "English") isn't a race. It is bigotry, just like when anyone treats someone badly because of the country they are from, and it's no better than racism so I'm happy to call it that if you want me to, whether it's accurate or not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
    robgilmo said:
    It isn't racism because "Irish" (like "English") isn't a race. It is bigotry, just like when anyone treats someone badly because of the country they are from, and it's no better than racism so I'm happy to call it that if you want me to, whether it's accurate or not.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/race ;. A group of people identified as distinct from other groups because of supposed physical or genetic traits shared by the group. Most biologists and anthropologists do not recognize race as a biologically valid classification, in part because there is more genetic variation within groups than between them.
    2. A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the Celtic race.
    3. A genealogical line; a lineage.
    4. Humans considered as a group.
    5. Biology
    a. A usually geographically isolated population of organisms that differs from other populations of the same species in certain heritable traits: an island race of birds.
    b. A breed or strain, as of domestic animals.
    6. A distinguishing or characteristic quality, such as the flavor of a wine.
    adj.
    1. Of or relating to race; racial: race relations; race quotas.
    2. Of or relating to forms of popular entertainment made by and largely marketed to African Americans in the early 1900s: race literature; race records.

You could say there is no such thing as race because we are all part or the humane race,

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited July 2017
    robgilmo said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    robgilmo said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    robgilmo said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

<puts on SJW retard hat>

So I have a very strong dislike to anyone who believes it Ok to exercise racial ignorance, which probably for me makes things worse as I may be a little more sensitive to it than most. My latest job, the lads started with the ''banter'' but I'm fucked if I'm going to let it get to the point where it makes me feel like I don't want to go into work so I pretty much nipped it in the bud there and then, it did take me to be very up front and forward, and it still crops up and I still have to get up front and forward so as not to allow it to progress, and to be perfectly fucking honest I shouldn't have to be put in that situation, but I am, and I'm dealing with it. But I have a very strong understanding that race shouldn't be something a person has to defend, ever, so maybe I'm over sensitive, but I don't think I am.

Okay, so you're Irish and you've taken a bunch of shit over the years from English fannyholes who want to pick on you because you're Irish....

... that's not racism bud. That's xenophobia, ignorance, shitty human behaviour, or at the very least crossed wires, miscommunication, misunderstanding, or people just not gelling very well.
    WTF seriousley?
    You didn't go into details. So that's all I had to go on. Am I supposed to be a fucking mind-reader and assume people were calling you a slave??

The fucked thing is, I can totally see why you'd find that offensive and racist - the Irish *WERE* enslaved:
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-irish-slave-trade-the-forgotten-white-slaves/31076

Europeans were also enslaved in the past; look up the Barbary pirates:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_on_the_Barbary_Coast

So you see.. slavery isn't the sole preserve of the African peoples. That's without bringing modern slavery into it too.

But let's be clear.... there are certainly distinctions that can be made and we can quantify the damage of racism - using the word nigger in context of a phrase that someone might've been brought up with is a far less damaging crime than lynching someone because of the colour of their skin.

Until I moved to London I never knew that the word chinky was a racial epithet. I just thought it was a reference to food. That sounds ludicrously dumb now, but I was an 18 year old kid who had never left the Midlands!! I literally had no idea - and I'm quite naive as a matter of course anyway.

PS: You might want to lose the chip on your shoulder. Asking a dude if he has something against the Irish when he's clearly demonstrated a large amount of agreement with you... not exactly the most gracious approach.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_TNBD said:
    robgilmo said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    robgilmo said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    robgilmo said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

<puts on SJW retard hat>

Okay, so you're Irish and you've taken a bunch of shit over the years from English fannyholes who want to pick on you because you're Irish....

... that's not racism bud. That's xenophobia, ignorance, shitty human behaviour, or at the very least crossed wires, miscommunication, misunderstanding, or people just not gelling very well.
    WTF seriousley?
    You didn't go into details. So that's all I had to go on. Am I supposed to be a fucking mind-reader and assume people were calling you a slave??

The fucked thing is, I can totally see why you'd find that offensive and racist - the Irish *WERE* enslaved:
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-irish-slave-trade-the-forgotten-white-slaves/31076

Europeans were also enslaved in the past; look up the Barbary pirates:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_on_the_Barbary_Coast

So you see.. slavery isn't the sole preserve of the African peoples. That's without bringing modern slavery into it too.

But let's be clear.... there are certainly distinctions that can be made and we can quantify the damage of racism - using the word nigger in context of a phrase that someone might've been brought up with is a far less damaging crime than lynching someone because of the colour of their skin.

Until I moved to London I never knew that the word chinky was a racial epithet. I just thought it was a reference to food. That sounds ludicrously dumb now, but I was an 18 year old kid who had never left the Midlands!! I literally had no idea - and I'm quite naive as a matter of course anyway.

PS: You might want to lose the chip on your shoulder. Asking a dude if he has something against the Irish when he's clearly demonstrated a large amount of agreement with you... not exactly the most gracious approach.

Yeah, your right, sorry, I get wound up greatly by these things, I shouldn't let my self get so wound up but I do, I just firmly believe that we are all equal and find it hard to understand why anyone would believe otherwise, especially in this day and age. You don't have to be a mind reader fella, a crystal ball would probably suffice. :0) 

robgilmo said:

Yeah, your right, sorry, I get wound up greatly by these things, I shouldn't let my self get so wound up but I do, I just firmly believe that we are all equal and find it hard to understand why anyone would believe otherwise, especially in this day and age. You don't have to be a mind reader fella, a crystal ball would probably suffice. :0) 

I rather think that we're all unequal, and we're all individuals, and we should strive to achieve complete independence from arbitrary accidents of birth.

It's weird... I say I don't give a fuck that I'm white, British, straight, male.. etc... and that used to be fine. We all kind of agreed and that was where society was heading. But now?? Now??? You get told that it's white/male/straight privilege that enables you to have that opinion, and that you're blind to all of these benefits that you supposedly have. And this viewpoint is evidence-resistant. Doesn't matter how many times you post suicide statistics, divorce statistics, parental alienation statistics, etc... straight white men are the devil in this modern world. Which is how you end up with reactionary movements that get people like Trump in the whitehouse.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    I see what you mean, but surely we need to treat other as our equals? Sorry Drew, you kind of lost me on the rest, money put Trump where he is, and apparently a little help from Russia, and people not using their votes, and the political system being quite fucked in the first place, and the media looking for shock reactions instead of the truth, and corruption, a bit like this country really. There are lots of devils in this world, not all of them men and not all of them white.
    robgilmo said:
    I see what you mean, but surely we need to treat other as our equals? Sorry Drew, you kind of lost me on the rest, money put Trump where he is, and apparently a little help from Russia, and people not using their votes, and the political system being quite fucked in the first place, and the media looking for shock reactions instead of the truth, and corruption, a bit like this country really. There are lots of devils in this world, not all of them men and not all of them white.
    No we need to treat others as the individuals they are. Not as 'an Irish person' or 'a black person' or 'a female' etc... 

Votes put Trump where he is. The people who voted for Trump were largely white working class males.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    But money put Trump infront of those white working class males, I agree, treat people as individuals , as people or persons. Eejits, geniuses , saints or sinners, what ever they are and who ever they are, their ethnic background or race shouldn't really be something to take issue with, there are always lots of other reasons to dislike a person if you must dislike that person.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Good to see that all ended amicably.

Was anyone found at the bottom of the woodpile? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    capo4th said:
    Good to see that all ended amicably.

Was anyone found at the bottom of the woodpile? 
    Just a few Irish dudes. ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And Borat!
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    This thread has been near the top so long I have got the title going round my head to the tune of "mirror in the bathroom."

• DominicDominic Frets: 16091
    robgilmo said:
    And Borat!
    Yakshemash
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940
    edited July 2017
    So is a black person deemed racist for shouting out "wassup Nigga?" to his friend across a crowded multi racial room? Called out as a term of brotherhood with his friend? What if another black person overheard and took offence?

also, how many black cops are highlighted for shooting white offenders dead in the US?