Fretboard Jam 2017 - Song List Thread - Running Order V4

What's Hot

Comments

• adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    Appreciate i'm on the reserve list ( got my fingers crossed)
    Beginner level
    Would love to try

Sunshine of your Love - Cream
    Roadhouse Blues - The Doors
    Running Down a Dream - Tom Petty
    Crossroads - Eric Clapton
    Foxy lady - Hendrix

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    @TTony  could you please put me down for 

Learning to Fly
    Running down a Dream 
    Mustang Sally
    Alright Now
    Midnight Hour

I really want to do the first two but will happily do swapsies on the last 3 if anyone is desperate as I've picked these on the basis of availability. 

@Bridgehouse  Let me know which songs you want me to cover for bass. As previously stated I'll learn anything except the xtreme ones and if nobody wants to I'll have a crack at one of them with enough notice 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6793
    @Alnico  @Bridgehouse  - can you clarify the way you propose this will work please. As there are 20 songs and 30 people (and a few of those are keys/bass/drums), I assumed that there would only be two guitar slots per song, so max 2 songs per person. Is there going to be a repeat run through? How will the songs that 4 people have signed up guitaring on work? I only put my name down for 2 songs, Will there be more free form jam opportunities, or can I put my name down for another song? Haven't done this before so don't quite follow how everyone gets a fair opportunity- cheers.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Short answer is yes.
    We don't mind if enough people want to do one song that we play it more than once so if someone has "signed up" for a song you wanted to do, you can still do it we'll just play it twice and probably time it so it's done later on after the first rendition.
    No problem. 
    The amount of songs vs the amount of people there is pure coincidence and there's no formula to that at all.

Please put your name down for whatever song you want to play and we'll do our best to make sure everyone gets to play the songs they're most comfortable with.

While I'm here I'll have the song keys sorted by the end of play tomorrow so they'll be published on Thursday morning. 

:)
    .....oh and yes also.
    We will be having some "Free Form" Jam time as well.

Sorry I missed that bit.
    I'm on my phone and didn't see it until after I'd posted above.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Don't forget - it's not a formal performance. 

Some songs might have two guitars on - rhythm and lead.

Some experienced members may sit in on a song but drop out or share lead/rhythm duties with a newbie - and visa versa 

We will play it by ear - if we script this to the minute then it will suck the fun out of it. 
    Oh and ref. the 30 people - it's more like 25 active guitarists, and at least 5 are occupied doing other stuff - so more like about 20 "core" guitar participants. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6793
    Thanks for the clarification guys- will get practicing and see if I can do any other songs justice.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Thanks for the clarification guys- will get practicing and see if I can do any other songs justice.
    Don't get overtaken by any pressure.

And I say this for everyone. Don't build it up in your mind as a big thing, or you'll suffer for it.

Treat it as a totally relaxed environment to try stuff out - you won't find another opportunity to play live with strangers where there is no expectation or nothing to prove.

We set this up as an opportunity for newcomers to experience and taste what being in a band, playing with other musicians and have other people hear you play is like without the stress of a level of expectation. 

As a gigging bass player there's more pressure on me not to look like a total tool - which I'm bound to do ;)

And it doesn't bother me either - people who play regularly live always have shockers - it's part and parcel. 
    I'm taking on David Gilmour for the last song. 
    I did hope that would in turn help people to feel less pressured and I have to be honest,  although it's not the most technical solo in the world it's an easy one to get wrong and the phrasing is everything. 
    All that is to say that whilst I'm experienced I am not in the habit of gigging regularly at the moment and it's a bit of an undertaking for me.
    If I can approach that song with a sense of fun and stay relaxed then I would hope that rubs off of everyone else and they too can have the same approach to whatever they do and enjoy it.......
    I fully intend to  !
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27453
    This is - I think - the current picture, but please correct where I've missed something or misinterpreted what you're planning on doing.

I've got @Octatonic drumming throughout, @Alnico doing gtr & vocals on everything, @Bridgehouse & @Slacker splitting bass duties on a basis yet tbc and @Horse offering keys on most.

For the rest of us, "X" marks the spot, with a count of the number of songs each of us has expressed an interest in doing, and a count of the number of us against each song.

I've even put myself down for a fairly optimistic selection (rhythm duties) as a bit of a challenge.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Lol @ gtr and vocals on everything. 
    I'll do whatever people want me to, to back them up to the best of my ability.
    There's a lot I can't do and or sing but I'm happy to try.
    If people have enough guitars playing on their song then I'm just as happy to sit out.
    Think of me as floating and there if you need me.
    Ditto me on bass for most things - lol!

I will have a look tonight and list the ones I will learn a bass part for -  I've got limited time to practise, and need to be available to float as well
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27453
    edited July 2017
    Alnico said:

Think of me as floating
    I've got limited time to practise, and need to be available to float as well
    Next update, I'll put you both down as floaters.
    :D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Thanks Tony.
    That's by no means laziness on my part it's much more to be as flexible for the general good on the day as possible. 
    I'll do as much or as little as people want or need in every way.
    The day isn't for me it's for you lot and I'm very happy to do it.
    The last ten minutes playing 'Comfy' is for me.

The rest is all about seeing everyone happy and loving what they do.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Please don't put me down as a floater.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    octatonic said:
    Please don't put me down as a floater.

By definition, if you are a floater, putting you down will be a challenge :lol: 
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    edited July 2017
    Ditto me on bass for most things - lol!

I will have a look tonight and list the ones I will learn a bass part for -  I've got limited time to practise, and need to be available to float as well

I've had a little look at the list and apart from the xtreme ones they are fairly straightforward. I'll have a go at anything you're not doing. If you want to split the difficult ones I'll have a bash. 

As long as I can do the guitar ones I've listed I dont mind doing the bulk of bass playing on the remaining ones. However, if you want to play a lot of bass that's ok by me. Just let me know. 

Edit @Bridgehouse just had a look only really difficult one is cupids dead I might have a bash at it tonight. As before let me know what you want to play I'll do the rest except testify  unless someone else offers.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited July 2017
    I got a bit stuck on the playlist on Spotify the other day, turns out I'd forgotten how much I like Learning to fly. 

I decided I'd try and learn that as well and actually really enjoyed my jam yesterday, so much so that I recorded it. 

Long story short, if it's not too late I'd like to have a go at that one too. I'm also fairly comfortable singing it, at least, in the key w played it in. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    I am enjoying the playlist, didn't realise I liked Extreme beyond "More Than Words"! :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...