Sunshine Of Your Love - Cream,
    Midnight Hour - Wilson Picket
    Call Me The Breeze - JJCale
    Crossroads - Cream
    Roadhouse Blues - The Doors.
    Fortunate Son - CCR

or is that too many???

Ta

It's been said already that if we have 3 guitars on stage but one of them is of the more experienced variety, that's fine because that guy can provide some backup and guidance as it were, for the newcomers to this which this is mostly for their benefit.
    Also, we don't mind playing through certain songs twice or more if they're popular as everyone is going to put their own unique stamp on the songs so it won't be exactly the same the next time around.

@TTony has drawn up a very clever spreadsheet to log all this and I think he's the one putting people into their various slots.
    I'm sure if you want to do those songs and more on the day it won't be a problem.

I'd be glad to do 'Crossroads' with you if the chance comes up but aside from our 'Showcase' slot right at the end, I'm not putting myself in for any songs specifically and I'm floating for the day to be called on if needed and sitting it out if not.
    Let's see what happens.

Thanks for your support and glad you got a place.

:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    I see there is a level on the spreadsheet - did I miss an explanation of this?  I am probably intermediate, not sure whether INT or INT- .  Despite having had a guitar for 20 years I took a large chunk off in the middle and I have never really got any good, but I am not really a beginner.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    aord43 said:
    I see there is a level on the spreadsheet - did I miss an explanation of this?  I am probably intermediate, not sure whether INT or INT- .  Despite having had a guitar for 20 years I took a large chunk off in the middle and I have never really got any good, but I am not really a beginner.
    The level thing is only a rough guide to who's where in the whole journey and as with everything in this event, we're all in safe territory and with people who won't mock etc.
    It's probably more for us to try to put the right mix of people together more than anything.

Listen, try to make the time to pop over to my place for a few hours.
     @Vinylfan did on Monday and I'll leave him to say what he thought of what he got out of it but from what I could see it went well and gave him a boost.

@darthed1981 came over a couple of weeks ago and had a similar learning boost.
    Ed......are you coming back again before the jam?

I'm no professional teacher but I'm happy to help anyone get a better understanding of the instrument and teach them what I know.
    Alnico said:
     @Vinylfan did on Monday and I'll leave him to say what he thought of what he got out of it but from what I could see it went well and gave him a boost.

I'm no professional teacher but I'm happy to help anyone get a better understanding of the instrument and teach them what I know.
    Yeah sorry, it's been busy.  PM sent.
    aord43 said:
    Alnico said:

Yeah sorry, it's been busy.  PM sent.
    Cool.

Replied.
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    I did pop over to see @Alnico at the beginning of the week and had a really good time.  Firstly, it was nice to meet someone from the forum in person - not often that happens and he does make a lovely cup of tea!  Also met his cat which was just an added bonus.

Came away with some good ideas of how to progress and also some things to focus on over the next few weeks.  A real no pressure, non-judgemental environment.

If you have the time, then definitely do it.

@Alnico - good to meet you man and thanks very much.  Much appreciated. 
    Vinylfan said:
    I did pop over to see @Alnico at the beginning of the week and had a really good time.  Firstly, it was nice to meet someone from the forum in person - not often that happens and he does make a lovely cup of tea!  Also met his cat which was just an added bonus.

Came away with some good ideas of how to progress and also some things to focus on over the next few weeks.  A real no pressure, non-judgemental environment.

If you have the time, then definitely do it.

@Alnico - good to meet you man and thanks very much.  Much appreciated. 
    You're very welcome.
    I'm glad to share what knowledge I do have and meet nice people who enjoy the instrument as much as I do.
    Always good to meet like-minded people and unashamedly gain from their experience :)
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11740
    @Alnico yes fully intend to come round again before the jam in currently on hols in cornwall! I brought Mr Cheapy (my bullet strat that lives in my car) with me though so I've not been guitarless!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    @Alnico yes fully intend to come round again before the jam in currently on hols in cornwall! I brought Mr Cheapy (my bullet strat that lives in my car) with me though so I've not been guitarless!
    No problem Ed.
    Just let me know when you get back and you want to come over.
    Enjoy the rest of your holiday.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27419
    edited August 2017
    • Removed Testify, 
    • Added @hywelg in place of Mr Wez, 
    • Added an indicator of whether we've got a full line-up (drums, bass, guitar, vocals) for each song, 
    • Added an estimate of the number of times we'll need to play each song to accommodate everyone who wants to have a go at the guitar track. ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • That's great @TTony! ;

My only question is probably better directed at @Alnico and @Bridgehouse, we didn't currently have an indicator of rhythm vs lead and on some songs that's a fairly chunky difference. On the songs I'm doing I'm more than happy with the rhythm tracks, and I'm looking at lead on a couple of the more straight forward ones but there ain't no way I'm learning the solos from Hard to Handle in the time available! I'm aware we're going for something approximating the original tracks on these so we either need someone good to do these bits or maybe accept an improv / simple version? 

Any thoughts? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    Alnico said:

@TTony [] and I think he's the one putting people into their various slots.

Not me chief, I just did the s/sheet so that everyone can see who's going what, and what's not being done by anyone!

Suggest though, @Alnico, @bridgehouse that you do try to put together a running order (so that we don't have the group discussion on "what shall we play next" everytime) and put together the line-up for each repeat of the popular songs.

Doing a quick add-up, it looks like a total of 30 songs (or repeats) to be played on the day, which is going to take a little organisation if we're going to get through that many in the time available.

And that number (ie 30) is still going to increase as we've still got quite a few attendees who've not signed up for anything, so ...
    @chrismusic
    @ennspek
    @flink_poyd
    @handsome_cris
    @pablo
    @roland
    @strumjoughlamps
    @spark240
    @thebluewolf
    @theotherdennis

... get your names down for something quickish.

Right now, Cynical and Midnight Hour and looking fairly unpopular, so might be next for the chop??

Any thoughts? 
    As I was putting this together, I had the same "rhythm or lead" thought!

I'm "strictly rhythm" too, so I'll do a quick re-edit and put us both down for the R parts on our selected songs.

Everyone else, an indicator of whether your preference is Rhythm or Lead would be handy and pretty useful in sorting out the line-ups!!
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Rhythm for me please.

Ta.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    TTony said:

Right now, Cynical and Midnight Hour and looking fairly unpopular, so might be next for the chop??
    Nah dont drop Midnight Hour, great little song, bounces along nicely. Really ony requires rhythm playing from the guitars, but theres lots of different ways to play the rhythm.

Here's a song sheet if anyone needs a primer. The only even slightly tricky bit is the chord changes for the horn section solo.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Hywel/Song Sheets?preview=The+Commitments+-+MidnightHour.pdf

• I might have just see what's going on on the day, as well as sweeping the streets all week I have wedding shoots this month so struggling for proper practice time, I would like to scream down the mic on the Pistols tunes and I have got the tabs for a fair few of the songs on the list..

so I hope it's okay for me to wing it a bit on the day.  
    Mustang Sally is just Rhythm I think.  Sunshine of your Love I am happy with Rhythm but I am trying to do the solo too.  I would like to play a bit of Rhythm and get a go at the solo if possible with someone else doing Rhythm at that point.
    That kind of arrangement might be popular for other songs to, I don't know.
    hywelg said:
    TTony said:

Nah dont drop Midnight Hour, great little song, bounces along nicely. Really ony requires rhythm playing from the guitars, but theres lots of different ways to play the rhythm.

Here's a song sheet if anyone needs a primer. The only even slightly tricky bit is the chord changes for the horn section solo.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Hywel/Song Sheets?preview=The+Commitments+-+MidnightHour.pdf

That songsheet requires a login to dropbox. Is is possible to share it without needing this?
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    @TTony at the minute my practice and playing time is not enough for me to commit to anything other than turning up on the day. If anything changes I'll let you know 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....