Fretboard Jam 2017 - Song List Thread - Running Order V4

What's Hot

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    bigjon said:
    Alnico said:

@bigjon might also want to get involved in some 'Workshop' themed stuff in room 2, maybe tutoring a small group for 20 minutes at a time or something like that?
    I'd be very happy to help in that way.
    Brilliant.

If you spend some time over the next few weeks planning some 20-30 minute workshops, focusing on the aspects that YOU feel people would benefit from, I and the other 2 would be happy to leave that small amount of work with you!

Liaise with us on how that goes and if you're happy to do that, people can speak to you directly about what they would like and you can speak to them more using tags etc about what you want to offer.

I'll be brutally honest here and say that the 'Spinning Plates' nature of the day needs all the help it can get BUT it's vital that people who want to help, go through US 3 and stick to helping in the ways that fit with what WE are putting together, otherwise things will clash and disorganised mess will result.

Jon, thanks.....
    For now, I'll leave that with YOU and for everyone attending, please speak to @bigjon using tags like this about workshop style sessions in room 2.
    When that's gained some momentum, Jon can work out with us how many of these sessions there will be and we can FIT that into the itinerary for room 2.

Brilliant idea guys.

Onwards and upwards.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Alnico said:
    horse said:
    I'm hoping we might try to keep the volume not too OTT, or I'll have ear plugs in and won't hear so well.

@alnico - I'm happy to add some strings to comfortably numb

One other thought I had, but might not be time / might not be feasible - I'd be happy to hold down some simple atmospheric keyboard low notes / chords  if anybody would like to have a go at improvising over them - it can be quite satisfying even with just basic pentatonic skills to experience noodling over some keyboard pads and pretend your gilmour or moore etc - just a thought
    I'll take you up on that offer Pete, thank you very much.

Nikko said:

Forgot to say @Alnico Id be happy to have a stab at the rhythm on Comfortably Numb. Seems like fairly simple open chords.

Happy to be bumped by someone more experienced though if you wanted, as I wouldn't want to risk a balls up on the last song of the day.

Thanks for your offer Nikko but I would rather do this one with Pete if you don't mind given his regular stage experience.
    No offence meant by that at all.

@Bridgehouse ........I'll need you for bass guitar on this one and as you and @horse are in the same band in real-life, so to speak, that works on other levels as well.
    None taken, its all good.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    octatonic said:
    Will your Katana get over a drum kit?
    I've not used the 50w one so I don't know if it can.
    Would imagine you will be fine.
    As @Nikko says, apparently it does, guess it depends how hard you smack the skins, I'm guessing John Bonham would drown it out! :)

Nothing I'd try to play is totally clean either which helps!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    Alnico said:
    Alnico said:

I guess the same can be said for 'Running down a dream' but I do know that it would make Colin's day to play that one @not_the_dj so I'll see what he says first plus as I write this there may well be others interested in that song.

More than happy to share the limelight on that one. There's scope in the solo section for lick trading and "pass the solo" and it's a real easy progression to solo over.
    Great Colin,

To be honest with you (hey @TheOtherDennis ........there's that bloody phrase again!.......LOL)

If you would take that one with @fandango that would be a nice idea because I'll be happy to stand back a lot of the time and let other people have the stuff they want to do.
    As @Bridgehouse has already said multiple times, we can play through a certain song more than once if it's popular so if 'Running down a Dream' is one of those, don't worry......... @not_the_dj and @fandango is one pairing and we can organise another pairing for another go at it, no problem.
    Colin, you gig this song fairly regularly so you could be a big help to @fandango 'On Stage' as it were?

Nikko said:
    Alnico said:
    bigjon said:
    Alnico said:

Let's have your suggestions for Room 2 Songs (Just songs please, we know what else we're doing with Room 2).

In a day or two, we will look at which songs work best here.
    As an off the top of my head Idea...... @bigjon , would you like to do Pink Floyd in this room? It would be more fitting and also We could include another PF song so that 30 minute slot will be mostly *that* style.
    This means that each 30 minute slot in Room 2 has a theme.

Yes, please! I do Another Brick in the spirit of PF but not in the exact style, rather in a much more open, jammable format. I think lots of you would enjoy having a go and listening to what each other comes up with. It's only 4 chords and it's all do-able in D minor pentatonic, so it's accessible to everyone.
    Jon,

That sounds fine.
    Amongst whatever else you do on the day we can work out the last 30-minute slot in room 2 to end the day and 'Theme' it as PF.
    All I really ask for throughout the whole day, whether I get to play in room 1 on the songs I mentioned above or not, is to play room 2,...'Comfortably Numb' and to take the lead guitar parts as my own.

I'd be happy to forgo everything else on the day just to get a crack at that and by that I don't mean share the lead or make up our own version of the song, I mean perform a decent, solid rendition of the actual song and let ME have the lead guitar parts start to finish. For this, I'll need a rhythm guitarist who's happy just playing rhythm on that track.

After the effort I'm personally putting into this day along with the other two guys, that's not much to ask of everyone to let me have that is it?

Either way, the PF slot in room 2 can be timed so that room 1 can already be shutting down and ready for packing up mode while everyone piles into room 2 to watch the last session of the day (maybe) as an idea for itinerary........we can sort that out nearer the time.

I think that's MORE than fair. I don't think there would be a single person that would object to you or any of the other organisers having something just for yourselves considering the effort that has been put in to the organisation of the event.

Personally looking forward to this one whether im involved in it or not.

Still got to sort out in my head what id feel comfortable doing. Im definitely no lead player, so songs with relatively easy rhythm guitar will be the key for me.

Thanks @Nikko

I do hope everyone else sees it this way,

Although I WILL be there for anyone who wants me to be with their songs to help or back them up in any way and although I'm happy to sing where others may not be etc........Playing the lead on 'Comfortably Numb' in the last Session in room 2 on my strat through my own effects is just about THE highlight of the day for me and the one thing I ask for from everyone.
    I don't feel like that's too much to ask as everyone else is having something tailored (As much as we can) to suit them and their ability and style.
    My ability and style (If I have any at all) lie firmly in this camp with this as probably one of the best songs I do and as such, it's my top pick and the one song I know I can make a really good job of.
    If no one has a problem with this it would be an honour to play it for everyone and hopefully for the people listening to enjoy it as the best performance I can give as a guitarist.

As long as this one request is ok with everyone, I will be looking forward to this with the same excitement that everyone else has with 'Their' choices of song and believe me, I will be just as nervous as the rest of you, despite the years of doing this already behind me.

How does everyone feel about that one request then?
    Are you all happy to let me have that?
    I don't just mean the song as my choice etc,..... I mean the lead guitar in that song throughout. Not a loose Jam or a fucked up 'Own version' of it but a hand-on-heart proper rendition of it as a cover, performed for the people who've come along to make the day into what it is, to end the day on a  real high note?

Whichever room it happens in due to the Itinerary, that's not really so important at this stage and can be worked around on spec.......

Is that ok?
    This is completely fine with me - it will be wonderful to see someone play a heartfelt rendition of Comfortably Numb at the end of the day.  Seeing all the effort you and the others are putting into this, I think it is the absolute least the rest of us can do to have your request fulfilled.  I think we'll all be an adoring audience too!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    @darthed1981 I said earlier up that I was going to bring my katana 100, there are very few differences. When I've run it in the studio, even with a drummer I've never used the 100w option, I've still run it on 50 or 0.5 and it's been plenty loud. Your 50 will cope fine. If you want to save yourself the carrying though you'd be more than welcome to plug into mine instead as long as we're not playing the same song! 
    Thanks bro, I want to bring mine to stretch it's legs a bit, at home it has literally never been off the 0.5w setting, and even then the wife says I'm too loud, so I'd love a chance to crank it! 

I'd really value any input you have about the Katana though @Legionreturns on the best settings on the day :)

I might have purchased a Marshall Code 25 by then as well, and from another thread @alnico certainly has that amp covered for tips and tricks.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    @alnico - just to make sure we're on the same page - I'm offering keyboard strings rather than guitar strings for comfortably
    horse said:
    @alnico - just to make sure we're on the same page - I'm offering keyboard strings rather than guitar strings for comfortably
    Ahhh, ok then, in that case, could you, me and @not_the_dj ; do that together?
    Colin, would you back me up with simple rhythm guitar on 'Comfy'?

@horse ........the keys would add that Richard Wright underpinning to the song that it could really do with, especially as it builds towards the end!

Thank you!

PM me when you can and we can organise it.
    Same for you Col, send me a PM if you want to do this with me.
    Ok That's sorted via PM:

Comfortably Numb to finish the day will be........

@alnico - Lead Guitar
    @not_the_dj - Rhythm Guitar
    @Horse - Keyboards
    @bridgehouse - Bass Guitar

For drums, i would at this point assume that @octatonic will be doing that and I am taking the vocal part that Roger Waters would normally sing.
    What I need for this now and really ALL I need to complete this, is someone to sing the vocal part that David Gilmour would normally sing............"There is no pain, you are receding........etc"

I don't have the gentle voice or the range for that but I do have the maniacal edge needed for the RW part so I'm happy taking that, especially when I've got @not_the_dj covering me with Rhythm Guitar while I sing.

Anyone who can genuinely make a good job of being DG on the mic, can you tag me and let me know, please?

Thanks.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    @darthed1981 I said earlier up that I was going to bring my katana 100, there are very few differences. When I've run it in the studio, even with a drummer I've never used the 100w option, I've still run it on 50 or 0.5 and it's been plenty loud. Your 50 will cope fine. If you want to save yourself the carrying though you'd be more than welcome to plug into mine instead as long as we're not playing the same song! 
    Thanks bro, I want to bring mine to stretch it's legs a bit, at home it has literally never been off the 0.5w setting, and even then the wife says I'm too loud, so I'd love a chance to crank it! 

I'd really value any input you have about the Katana though @Legionreturns on the best settings on the day :)

I might have purchased a Marshall Code 25 by then as well, and from another thread @alnico certainly has that amp covered for tips and tricks.
    I was originally asking for some help balancing the channels (I use the GAFC footswitch which I don't think works with the 50 as well as some separate pedals both in front and in the FX loop). In all honesty though, I've done a lot of tweaking and micro adjusting and I reckon I've mostly got it cracked now. Once you get used to the software it's pretty straight forward. More than happy to have a crack at yours though. I'll be bringing a laptop with Tone Studio on it. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you

I was originally asking for some help balancing the channels (I use the GAFC footswitch which I don't think works with the 50 as well as some separate pedals both in front and in the FX loop). In all honesty though, I've done a lot of tweaking and micro adjusting and I reckon I've mostly got it cracked now. Once you get used to the software it's pretty straight forward. More than happy to have a crack at yours though. I'll be bringing a laptop with Tone Studio on it. 
    I'll have my LT with me as well also with Katana Tone Studio on it for whoever needs it so as an idea, that might mean there is that option in both room 1 and room 2.

Also, as long as the person on the PC who knows how to do it, at the controls on the laptop, your sound can be changed dynamically as you play, the same way a sound engineer would during a performance with a live PA.
    All it takes is a long USB lead and I have one of them to bring.
    They're not hard to buy online either........mine is 5m long, it's just an A-B printer cable.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Good plan @Alnico ...just need to make sure anyone bringing a Katana has the up to date firmware on it or it won't work.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    Good plan @Alnico ...just need to make sure anyone bringing a Katana has the up to date firmware on it or it won't work.
    Good point.
    We will have Wifi there also, so in theory that could also be DONE FOR people who need to?
    If any Katana Users need it, HERE is the page you need to go to for drivers and updates from BOSS.
    Just select which amp you have from the 4 options at the top of the page under 'K' and go from there.

Id still like to bring my Katana 50 as well so that we could see what it sounds like in stereo with another 50.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    Nikko said:
    Id still like to bring my Katana 50 as well so that we could see what it sounds like in stereo with another 50.
    I'll be bringing my TC Mimiq, so you'll probably be able to hear what it's like double-tracked :)
    <space for hire>
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
     Could you transfer the amp talk to the Logistics thread or the main thread pls? Pretty pls? ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Nikko said:
    I'll be bringing my TC Mimiq, so you'll probably be able to hear what it's like double-tracked :)

Blinding :)
    @Bridgehouse. .....my bad.
    Apologies. 
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Please put me down for rhythm on Sunshine of Your Love, and if I can learn/get good enough in time (with help from @Alnico perhaps :) ), some lead possibly.  There are some great other songs that I love but I will need to research before saying I can do them. I am away on business at the moment so I don't have so much time to do so but I will try to come up with a back-up or two over the next couple of days.

aord43 said:
    Please put me down for rhythm on Sunshine of Your Love, and if I can learn/get good enough in time (with help from @Alnico perhaps :) ), some lead possibly.  There are some great other songs that I love but I will need to research before saying I can do them. I am away on business at the moment so I don't have so much time to do so but I will try to come up with a back-up or two over the next couple of days.

As I said on PM, If you can spare the time to pop over to my place, I'd be very happy to show you through anything you feel you want to play.
    I'm free most of the time so just let me know.

If anyone else who's going to the Jam has the same feelings and would like to brush up on technique or the songs themselves and you can get to Bedford, let me know.
    My place is noise friendly, there's an amp here, sometimes two and there's usually 4 or 5 guitars so you can just turn up or bring your own guitar,......whatever you want.
    I'm happy to help anyone that needs it for this event.