Browsing World Guitars...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9448
    tone1 said:
    I just buy all your old stuff Waz  :)
    Love ya Tone !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I have two types, Gas born out of need and Gas born out of curiosity. 

The need thing doesn't happen much, sometimes when I'm depping i need a specific pedal to get a specfic sound, but generally my live board has taken care of itself and not changed very often. To be good live, I think you need to know your gear 100% and chopping and changing is no good.

My Gas out of curiosity has started to subside. So many pedals have been disappointing and not lived up to the hype. I now look at posts made by a handful of forum members who I think have good ears , use creative pedals like i do and don't succumb to hyperbole. So much of this boutique stuff is just hot air.

Guitars is another thing, I GAS after guitars all the time, as I think they are just cool objects. Any Paisley thread sets me off.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    All of the GAS that's materialised into actual equipment bought has been borne from a decision I made at the beginning of this year when I dodged a massive health scare.

I vowed to stop trying to follow and copy my Heroes and look for my own sounds and my own style. Sure, I'm using production guitars, my budget dictates that but I've been trying to go for the less common guitars and in some cases the less common colours. My LTD or the Ibanez are possibly the best examples because not only were they end-of-line bargains but the LTD was a limited edition colour to begin with (Satin Grey Pewter) and the Ibanez is the Iron Label RG which isn't the most common. Both guitars are EMG powered and both have a 24v modified battery coming very soon along with stuff like a Resonant Peak Control and Expander for the LTD and an Afterburner booster for the Ibanez. I've already upgraded the Ibanez Tremolo to the carbon fibre Edge tremolo arm and I'm trying to learn to use it properly and musically so that guitar is fast becoming my number 1. It has no fret markers on the board and that's teaching me to "Use the force" rather than stare at the neck the whole time.

The GAS that got me to those guitars was the search for something different and unique to me, as much as mid-priced mass production level guitars will allow.

I also recently got a Gretsch Streamliner but again, I went for the G2420 with the chromatic tailpiece rather than the Bigsby, just to be a little different and less commonplace. I'm really happy with it as it's my first ever Gretsch Hollowbody and as much as I'll be able to do with it, I feel quite inspired playing it because I don't feel like I'm actively copying anyone, at least not directly.

I've got more GAS, now for a 7 string and in the same Vein, as much as I really admire Steve Vai and to me he's the best player in the world, I'm trying to stay away from the Ibanez Universe and look for models that I could call 'My Thing' not just blatantly copy 'His Thing'.

I guess the same goes for the Boss GT100 I bought a few weeks ago. Partly because it was all I could afford but also because I love the fact that very few people are using it now and most are onto things like Helix or still with stompboxes. It just says to me that my sound will be unique and whilst some would say it will be uniquely shit using that Boss GT100, so far I've only found the exact opposite in that unit. I'm also finding a huge success putting it into a modelling amp set to model a specific amp such as this week's favourite, the JTM 45 (I've got a Marshall CODE 25).

I spent a lot of years wanting and buying 'Signature' models and/or trying to emulate other people and I found nothing really of any personal value whereas now I feel at least inspired if not a little bit accomplished doing my own thing.

Hope all that made sense?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    I have a terrible itch for a Jazzmaster to tinker with, I've found a s/h VM for £270 delivered, so. GAS again  ;)

• RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    There must be something wrong with me. I'm a guitarist who doesn't have GAS. My FX needs are met by my AxeFX. Whenever I need a new Effect I can just configure it. Similar situation with amps.

Now when it comes to tools the situation is different. I want to resaw my Cedar planks so that I can make a semi-acoustic guitar amongst other things. This means I need a bandsaw, which means I need better dust extraction, which means rewiring the workshop for a 20 amp supply. My drill stand is no longer reliable, and the drill itself was my father's, 40 years old, and single speed. The obvious replacement would be a pillar drill. Then there are all the little hand tools, the drill bits, router bits, and jig saw blades.

How does my search go? Mainly in circles. First I indentify a potential need for a tool. Then I read about it, and ask questions. Then I ask myself whether I really need something so large/sophisticated/expensive. Then I remind myself that I'm only going to buy once in this lifetime, so buy well. Then I read some more. At some point the real world intervenes. The rule is to buy when I actually need the tool. This morning I woke with asthma induced partly by the dust from children's toys I've been cutting on the scroll saw. I've got limited dust extraction already. I think the real world is saying JFDI on something better.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I do have slight GAS for that James Bay Epiphone which never would've happened had I not logged on here.
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    I tend to GAS for pedals more than amps and guitars. Mainly cause it's easer to smuggle a pedal into the house and makes a smaller dent in the bank account! Basically I'd get linched for spending more than £300 without selling something first, and used prices have been terrible for a while now.
  • GAS hit me from nowhere at the start of last year. After a long lay off I started to play again. I had never had much interest in pedals, but when I started looking on the internet, the choice available was astounding and I got hooked. I spent hours researching and on youtube and got me a few decent pedals to cover the basics.

Problem is, since my second daughter was born, I’m struggling to find any time to plug in, and am reduced to short sessions unplugged, through the Fly 3 or on my acoustic. I no longer crave pedals so that’s cured.

However, as a Strat owner, I have huge GAS for a Les Paul or an SG. Maybe a Vintage Lemon Drop would do……

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    I have no need for any more guitar gear, in fact it's disappointingly rare that I even play my electrics. 
    However, and maybe in because of this, I still have GAS fueled by this forum. I can spend my work day with half an eye on the forum looking at cool and pretty equipment and it somehow helps me maintain a connection with an instrument that I'm not finding much time to play. That's what GAS is for me, a way of feeling like I'm still a guitarist whilst sat doing a desk job.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    What would really cure your GAS Waz is to buy an awesome para EQ pedal so you can just tweak it to get new amazing options out of your existing gear and reignite your passion with stuff you have.........

I've got the best option for this in the classifieds ;)
  • nickb_boy said:
    What would really cure your GAS Waz is to buy an awesome para EQ pedal so you can just tweak it to get new amazing options out of your existing gear and reignite your passion with stuff you have.........

I've got the best option for this in the classifieds ;)
    I've read that the only sure-fire cure for GAS (and there is no actual proof for this, but it is scientific fact) is a board combining a Strymon Sunset and El Capistan, a JRockett Blue Note, a Minifooger Trem and a Dr Scientist The Elements.

*looks at classifieds* Well what a coincidence!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9448
    @BintyTwanger77 and @nickb_boy - thanks for the wisdom and sage advice ! 
  • @BintyTwanger77 and @nickb_boy - thanks for the wisdom and sage advice ! 
    Hey man, we're here to help...
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    I'm also lucky to not feel the need to buy anything, the only things I get GAS for ever are long term things, like the 80s 1936 cab I bought from @TimmyO recently, and I'm done! :)

The only "things" I'd pay good money for now is some talent and more time to play the nice gear I've got, oh and some understanding neighbours :)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11814
    Read forum, see X mention.

Youtube it like mad.

Like it.

Youtube more, now convince myself I need it.

Click buy.

——————

No days I stop going into step 2, so I don't get bad GAS anymore, stop it before it gets going.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Buying something new usually cures GAS for a while.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    So, how does your GAS grow

What's your search look like ????

I've got so much stuff and choices that I don't get gas. I've had it. I buy stuff that I need for material I'm playing or writing. Last purchases were a reverb and distortion.

Also I try to buy the best and keep them. If I don't use it for years I'll trade it. If something is the best but not in use I'll store it. I have a full drive  I bought in 2000 I barely use it but there are applications where its excellent. I don't do the I bought and sold it 5 times thing.

I'm a od and delay gasses so I have 3 of each all excellent all different and rotate when gas hits.

A year ago I was gassing for a chase bliss tremolo. I tried one and walked out with t he fulltone. Ok its not as cool less bragging rights etc but it does the job.
  • BorkBork Frets: 252
    My gas manifests as a build bug.  I have three guitars designed that I would like to make...and that's extra to the 5 I already have.  I have no idea when I will have an opportunity to make them either as I don't have space for a workshop.

[This space for rent]

• Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    I wait for the next BOSS release.

Yes I am a BOSS tart :)