Wiring Help!!

What's Hot
So I own a Squier Joe Trohmann, which is a HSH, Wired to a 5 way switch and has a kill switch.

I like the feel of the guitar and decided that I'd upgrade the pickups, though being a major newbie at all things wiring just decided to buy what was a bit of a bargain in the amazon warehouse 20% prime day.....

I opened the Trohmann up to see something a lot more complicated than I'd be watching on the youtube videos, particularly when comparing to my Seymour Duncan Slash set which has the single cable vintage wiring....ahh. I've decided it's not for me to do this one....but before I get someone to go and do it for me, can it actually be wired correctly?

I would like to keep the rest of the guitar set up the same, with a single coil in the middle and with the kill switch...does my vintage wiring restrict this?

Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    As always, remote diagnosis will be greatly eased by sight of the appropriate schematic circuit diagram and some photographs of the wiring in your actual guitar.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    I robbed the diagram below from another discussion on this board.

As you can see, single conductor + shield humbuckers are compatible with the circuit. The humbucker shielding braids go to a pot chassis. You only need to make two solder joints on the five-way rotary switch. 

One problem that may arise is a magnetic polarity mismatch between the humbuckers and the stock middle pickup. In that event, the easiest solution would be to swap over the red and black output conductor cables from the middle pickup.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • piercelmnopiercelmno Frets: 117
    Thanks for the help. I bought a duncan single coil to go in there too. 

Going to get a tech to put it in I think. Far too confusing for me. 
  • -NFM--NFM- Frets: 10

One problem that may arise is a magnetic polarity mismatch between the humbuckers and the stock middle pickup. In that event, the easiest solution would be to swap over the red and black output conductor cables from the middle pickup.

There might also be an issue with the polarity of the Seymour Duncans vs Fender wiring - the only reason I say that is when I put an SD brand humbucker into one of my Telecasters, it had alternate instructions for wiring into a Fender guitar (although maybe the SD single coil is also the reverse in which case this is all moot!  :s )

I think you're probably making the right call though Piercelmno - Plus a tech will give it a setup at the same time and clean up the pots too. Very cool guitar though - look forward to seeing it modded on the forum!
  • piercelmnopiercelmno Frets: 117
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/oNo4tedZWr82CKYk2 happy with the final result, and happy a tech did it too.