Which amp if Marshall made it would you be racing to the guitar shop to buy ?

What's Hot
TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
Marshall.......I hope someone at the factory reads this

For me:

Lunchbox sized JTM45  with TMB and presence tonestack. Dual 6L6 / 5881 power tubes and a VVR / London power scaling circuit to make the head both stage and home friendly. Marshall , if you made this, I would buy it.

Forget the Codes, valvestate and stuff like that and make the amps we want to buy.

What amps if bletchley made them would you willingly purchase ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24249
    Mini 2203.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Anything 'proper' that's less than 3 feet wide
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Mini 2203.
    +1

A 20w JCM800 MV would be, as @ICBM has been campaigning for as long as I've known him, a best seller and a GREAT amplifier.
    If they can do it with the Silver Jubilee, which in it's day was a less popular amp than the 2203 was then there's no reason why they can't do it with the 2203.

@TTBZ .......Do you have any way of suggesting this to someone there or would it fall on deaf ears?
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Mini 2203 or mini JTM45
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699

Marshall Major Mini.  2w.  Full stack with 8x6 inch speakers. 

Comes with 10 bolsa wood black and white stratocasters so you can enjoy some Rainbow moments in your office.

Bluetooth, naturally.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    How about a mini jubilee combo? They could call it the 2525c. I'd buy that. 

Once you all stop buying the latest and greatest next best boutique amp, you'll all go back to playing marshalls anyway. 

Id like to see an SL-X mini but I think the commercial appeal of that is somewhat limited 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Club & Country reissue, although I'd never be able to afford one let alone use it to it's full potential.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    Alnico said:
    Mini 2203.
    +1

A 20w JCM800 MV would be, as @ICBM has been campaigning for as long as I've known him, a best seller and a GREAT amplifier.
    No no… not a mini JCM800 2203 - a mini JMP 2203, 1976 style :). I know it's technically the same circuit but the JMPjust looks better ;).

Marshall Major Mini.  2w.
    Joking aside, a Mini Major capable of about 50W would be really cool too. They're not just a 200W Super Lead, the circuit is quite a bit different. Made In Japan tone in a box…

Sassafras said:
    Club & Country reissue, although I'd never be able to afford one let alone use it to it's full potential.
    You can still buy an original for less than a new reissue would cost. And you can easily use them to their full potential - they sound wonderful at quite moderate volume, due to being the first Marshall (actually first production amp I know of, although there may be something earlier) with a post-phase inverter master volume. I had two of them - admittedly I replaced the speakers with G12-65s - and used to run them with the MV at just below half usually, at which they're producing about 15W.

Definitely one of Marshall's forgotten gems, but I think we may be unusual in thinking so - I can't see a reissue ever selling.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Marshall.......I hope someone at the factory reads this

For me:

Lunchbox sized JTM45  with TMB and presence tonestack. Dual 6L6 / 5881 power tubes and a VVR / London power scaling circuit to make the head both stage and home friendly. Marshall , if you made this, I would buy it.

Forget the Codes, valvestate and stuff like that and make the amps we want to buy.

What amps if bletchley made them would you willingly purchase ?
    Funnily enough I may be selling a Lunchbox JTM50 soon ... :-) 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3139
    tFB Trader
    400w Major with 4xKT150s
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    ICBM said:
    Alnico said:
    Mini 2203.
    +1

No no… not a mini JCM800 2203 - a mini JMP 2203, 1976 style :). I know it's technically the same circuit but the JMPjust looks better ;).

Marshall Major Mini.  2w.
    Joking aside, a Mini Major capable of about 50W would be really cool too. They're not just a 200W Super Lead, the circuit is quite a bit different. Made In Japan tone in a box…

Sassafras said:
    You can still buy an original for less than a new reissue would cost. And you can easily use them to their full potential - they sound wonderful at quite moderate volume, due to being the first Marshall (actually first production amp I know of, although there may be something earlier) with a post-phase inverter master volume. I had two of them - admittedly I replaced the speakers with G12-65s - and used to run them with the MV at just below half usually, at which they're producing about 15W.

Definitely one of Marshall's forgotten gems, but I think we may be unusual in thinking so - I can't see a reissue ever selling.
    Ah, I misunderstood what you'd said in the past.

I think those few years between us make a difference though because to my eyes the JCM800 is the better-looking amp but that's just my own nostalgia talking.
    Aesthetically I think you're probably right, the JMP is a little more 'Classic' looking.

I bet they still don't go ahead and make either one of them or worse still they do it but they try to "Improve" it and in doing so ruin the essence of what they are.
    That said though, did I read recently that you commented on a gut shot of the mini Jubilee that it looks quite different to the 100w original in terms of circuit and board layout/design or did I dream that?
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    edited July 2017
    1. Two-channel 1959/2203 or 1987/2204, with separate volumes and tone stacks for each channel, including a PPIMV for the 1959/1987 side. Some extras (e.g. switchable lead/bass tonestacks on the 1959/1987 side, and maybe a half-power switch for the 100-watt version) would be nice, but not essential.

2. 1974 with TMB and a PPIMV. A two-channel version (for my taste, two identical channels, with separate gain, PPIMV, and full tone stacks—not the common two-channel type you often see on kit-built 18-watt amps, where one channel is TMB with a PPIMV and the other with just volume and tone), and maybe a 4xEL84 30-watt version would be a bonus, but the 18-watt TMB is the critical one.

I’d buy one of each!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    If I didn't already have one......A 2554
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    100 Superbness head switchable to 50 or 25w, I'll have that tyvm
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited February 2018
    Alnico said:

@TTBZ .......Do you have any way of suggesting this to someone there or would it fall on deaf ears?
    Afaik I'm not allowed to talk specifically about new products on here as I'm not an "official" forum rep/spokesperson or anything like that.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3620
    The thing is Marshall are not really going to take on board a load of specs required by a guitar forum who say they will buy these things but probably wouldn't even if they were available.

Valvestates (no longer made) and Codes were derided in the opening post but they are things that Marshall will sell/have sold in their tens of thousands as opposed to  a few on some esoteric wish list. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4778
    ICBM said:
    Alnico said:
    Mini 2203.
    +1

I would definitely echo this if it had a master voltage/power scaling type feature and at a stretch a 2 channel option would be nice, one of my fave cleans is a JCM 800 2203 bizarrely!

Is there anyone around who would be able to do this as a custom build now MJW has left the fold....?

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    edited July 2017
    Alnico said:

I bet they still don't go ahead and make either one of them or worse still they do it but they try to "Improve" it and in doing so ruin the essence of what they are.
    That said though, did I read recently that you commented on a gut shot of the mini Jubilee that it looks quite different to the 100w original in terms of circuit and board layout/design or did I dream that?
    No, you didn't. The Mini Jubilee uses an entirely different construction and layout from the originals, even if the circuit is the same - I haven't seen the schematic so I can't confirm that.

Neil said:

Valvestates (no longer made) and Codes were derided in the opening post but they are things that Marshall will sell/have sold in their tens of thousands as opposed to  a few on some esoteric wish list. 
    It really surprises me that Marshall don't now make a mid-market hybrid amp, since the AVT series was (rightly) canned. The first two Valvestate series sold well, sounded good and were generally reliable, even though they weren't actually built all that well in many ways. An updated Valvestate with circuitry from the 80 series, slightly better build and more conventional 'Marshall' styling would be a winner, I think - and a direct competitor to things like the Orange Crush.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2392
    I have to say - and I hold my hand up to being a Marshall user all my life (even have the Major headphones, which are awesome) - that the CODE amp is superb. For the money, you really cannot go wrong; superb emulation and sounds, and it is giggable as well. I think it was a very canny move from Marshall, as they're targeting both amateur bedroom jammers, and also looking to capture the gigging group as well.

Very impressed with it (and the 2525h I picked up).

I would be VERY surprised if they don't release 20w versions of other iconic amps; I imagine the delay in doing so might be around circuit complications or something?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26564
    edited July 2017
    A non-rack stereo power amp, 18W-ish-per-side, toroidal transformers to save weight, preferably with EL84s in it (or maybe even a single EL34 each side?). Must be a similar size to a Jet City JCA22H or even a Kraken if possible.

I'll admit, this is probably a fairly niche requirement.
    <space for hire>