What's Hot

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Feeder - "Just A Day"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gimme danger - Stooges
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    @octatonic Uncommon time signatures are always a good laugh when watching pub covers bands. I've seen a couple of bands who did "Times Like These" by the Foos. Utter UTTER car crash.
    That's why we turn it into 4/4 :)
    We Only do one cover : Wicked Game by Chris Isaak

goes down amazingly well, and we can play it laid back, or rocked up or usually both
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7282
    sev112 said: Cr
    @octatonic Uncommon time signatures are always a good laugh when watching pub covers bands. I've seen a couple of bands who did "Times Like These" by the Foos. Utter UTTER car crash.
    That's why we turn it into 4/4 :)
    That's pretty weak
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    No, it makes it a song that's a lot tighter and audiences like

we couldn't see the point of total confusion just to sound exactly like ffs

they switch the riff to 4/4 in the middle of the song anyway

actually the best version we used to do was an acoustic one anyway without the info time signature 
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 300
    antonyiv said:
    "My mama said" by Lenny Kravitz. Its a cool funky song.
    If you mean the song I'm thinking of, the main vocal refrain in the chorus is "My mama said ...", but the title is "Always On The Run".
    You are right. :) 
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2545
    I'm loving Oh Well (Part 1) by Fleetwood Mac. So much fun to play along to :)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    sev112 said:
    We Only do one cover : Wicked Game by Chris Isaak

goes down amazingly well, and we can play it laid back, or rocked up or usually both
    You are Ville Valo and I claim my £5!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • "You're"

Probably Superstition by Stevie Wonder. Always fun.
    Thank you - amended. Correct use of the English language is the essence of rock n roll 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    sev112 said:
    No, it makes it a song that's a lot tighter and audiences like

we couldn't see the point of total confusion just to sound exactly like ffs

they switch the riff to 4/4 in the middle of the song anyway

actually the best version we used to do was an acoustic one anyway without the info time signature 

Hmm, I think the tricky time is the best thing about that song.

I always did it in the proper time and it went down really well.
  • BorkBork Frets: 255
    "Tie Your Mother Down" by Queen is a nice romp.  I've also been doing "She Sells Sanctuary" by The Cult, it's not a technically demanding song but those cascaded delays create a impressive wall of sound.

[This space for rent]

• longshinslongshins Frets: 246
    edited July 2017
    Spirit in the Sky... it's cheesy but fills the dance floor, it's great for a big wanky solo at the end too. Oh, Billy Idol version of Mony Mony goes down surprisingly well too.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited July 2017
    oops
  • Tonight we worked on a cover of 'No no no' by Dawn Penn. We murdered it. Totally sucked the groove out. 

Its gone in the bin. 

What covers don't you enjoy but still have to do? How do you stop the feeling of going through the motions.....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255

What covers don't you enjoy but still have to do?
    None. I don't know why bands do it - there are *thousands* of great, well-known songs... so why play any of about a dozen crap ones that seem to be all punters want? Or more likely the ones they think they want - but are actually far more likely to appreciate something different, if they're given the chance. I just don't get it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

None. I don't know why bands do it - there are *thousands* of great, well-known songs... so why play any of about a dozen crap ones that seem to be all punters want? Or more likely the ones they think they want - but are actually far more likely to appreciate something different, if they're given the chance. I just don't get it.
    Yeah fair point - life short isn't it? However, sometimes the rest of the band might be into a song that you've got tired of...... or in my situation - a Ska covers band, there are 'big' songs that I think the audience expect to hear. I do try and stay in the moment and enjoy it as much as I can. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Really enjoying Steve Earles version of The Galway Girl, Neil Young - Powderfinger and Eagles - Take It Easy
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Bork said:
    "Tie Your Mother Down" by Queen is a nice romp.  I've also been doing "She Sells Sanctuary" by The Cult, it's not a technically demanding song but those cascaded delays create a impressive wall of sound.
    I'm still waiting to see a band do Sanctuary. The relative simplicity is it's genius.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    ICBM said:

Yeah fair point - life short isn't it? However, sometimes the rest of the band might be into a song that you've got tired of...... or in my situation - a Ska covers band, there are 'big' songs that I think the audience expect to hear. I do try and stay in the moment and enjoy it as much as I can. 
    In The Damnbusters we used to get calls for Baggy Trousers every gig ( we did quite a few Madness songs) so we thought we better learn it. So we did, quite pleased with ourselves as it's not completely simple. Of course, never ever went down well with any crowd. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.