Strat tuning stability issues..

What's Hot
Si_Si_ Frets: 384
Just picked up a nice USA Strat this morning and it sounds great (Tonerider pickups), however tuning stability is shocking when touching the term, even with light use, I've given it a quick look over and everything looks Ok. The only possible issue I can find is that it's only got 2 trem springs in the back. Could this be causing the issues? should I add more? (Trem is a 2 point system).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7136
    I've had mine with two springs before and tuning was fine when tuned to Eb with 10s. 

More likely nut, bridge or tuner slippage.

Has it got looking tuners or the regular Fender ones mate?

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

You can polish a nut (i know sounds wrong).

Get a bit of string, fray it so it is loose strands. Soak it in Brasso and use it to 'polish' the nut grooves and it acts like a jeweller's mop. Just spend some time pulling it through the groove in a 'sawing' motion and it'll smooth out the nut a treat.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    The nut looks Ok.. but I'll give it a going over with an HB pencil and see if that help. 

Bridge looks to be floating, however it will only dive, which is a little strange as I can't see anything obstructing it..
    Si_ said:
    The nut looks Ok.. but I'll give it a going over with an HB pencil and see if that help. 

Bridge looks to be floating, however it will only dive, which is a little strange as I can't see anything obstructing it..
    Could be your springs are stopping you pulling up.

As in they need more tension and the trem needs re-balancing. 

Try this 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Has it got cast string trees? In my experience they are a nightmare. If so, lift the strings from under them, retune and see if things are better. If so, replace them with vintage style pressed ones.
    thanks for the video.. I'm going to fit a new bridge pickup (some form of stacked single coil) so I'll re-set it all up then. Also join to add locking tuners so that would help..

Has it got cast string trees? In my experience they are a nightmare. If so, lift the strings from under them, retune and see if things are better. If so, replace them with vintage style pressed ones.
    String trees are like these:

I've never had any issue with those style string trees to be honest, bit of vaseline or nut sauce etc is all you need.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    edited February 2014
    Si_ said:
    Are the pivot posts too low so the angle on the underside of the bridge is pressing against the body? If so that will stop you pulling up, even if there appears to be a gap under the back edge of the bridge, and directly explain the tuning problems.

This is the #1 mistake with Strat bridge settings, although it more normally gets done to 6-screw bridges.

If so, raise the two posts so the bridge is fully clear of the body. If you then want it non-floating, you need to carefully adjust the posts so the bridge *just* - and only just - fully contacts the body over its whole area when pulled back, then tighten (or most likely add, if there are only two) the springs to keep it there.

If you raise the bridge and then the action is too high without the bridge saddles also too high - the screws should be almost flush with the saddle tops - then the neck needs to be tilted slightly, which is much easier on a US Standard than a vintage one! Loosen the two innermost neck screws half a turn, tighten the Allen screw in the hole (same size key as the truss rod - 1/8", make sure you don't use a 3mm) a quarter turn, and retighten the neck screws, then check again.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17585
    tFB Trader
    When I've had problems it's been corroded string trees, or a duff bit in the saddles, or nut. 

You should be able to get it halfway to stable with a decent setup, but if you want insane levels of stability, put a Blade Runner on it. They are awesome for stability and add loads of sustain. 
    I'll check the pivot points tomorrow...
  • Si_;163796" said:
    richardhomer said:

Has it got cast string trees? In my experience they are a nightmare. If so, lift the strings from under them, retune and see if things are better. If so, replace them with vintage style pressed ones.

String trees are like these:
    Yep - they're the ones.

I've never had anything BUT trouble with those, though I have never used a lubricant on them.

Too eliminate them from the equation, unhook the strings and retune as I suggested.

If the problem persists, it's something else.....
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    learn all the tricks from books/web - it could be a few different things, or better stll go to a pro and pay for 30-60 mins of their time - a good investment
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    learn all the tricks from books/web - it could be a few different things, or better stll go to a pro and pay for 30-60 mins of their time - a good investment
    Not really - better to learn how to do it yourself. It's not difficult.

Or not unless they let you watch and talk you through what's being done anyway… which most techs aren't going to be happy about. It's not that they're scared of giving away trade secrets, just that accidents happen when the customer is watching :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

A little "nut sauce" on any point there's contact between string and guitar (Bridge/nut/trees) and a little on the trem posts has sorted any issues on my Strat. Any one of those can cause tuning stability issues.

Also, if the strings aren't stretched in properly then that can cause stability issues too.

All happened on my own Strat, with 2 post trem.....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• After you've fettled the nut, trees and bridge pivot points, there are two others that I've been tripped up with; with the two post trem if you set the posts on the low side the bridge block and springs foul the rear cover plate; the other is the land behind the nut - this can be long/high enough to catch the strings on their route between nut and machine head.  Both really tricky to spot.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Also check that the posts are level. The number of two post trems I've found where the bridge plate is on the wonk relative to the face if the guitar - and if the knife edges aren't square to the posts it doesn't pivot properly. Very common on Floyd Rose trems where the owner wants the action up a bit on the low strings... Not knowing there are shims for such things!!!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• I had this problem with mine, which is pretty bad as it's a Custom Shop Strat. Lived with the problem for too long, trying various DIY solutions but nothing worked. Took it to Charlie Chandler and it's cured!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    Roit Yar!

Lots of great advice so far. You have to eliminate the nut as the problem first because probably nine times out of ten it is.
    A simple test, tune up, bend a nore on the string, check tuning, is it flat? Retune, this time bend the string behind the nut, check tuning, is it now sharp? It the answer to both is yes then the nut slot is a problem (it might not be the whole problem but you must eliminate it). Repeat for all strings.
    Polish, file, fettle the slots and lubricate with pencile graphite and maybe vasaline.

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Si_ said:
    The nut looks Ok.. but I'll give it a going over with an HB pencil and see if that help.W

I recomend a lip balm stick - just rub it across the nut and give the wobbly arm a bit of stick. Works a treat :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."