Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Les Paul Prototype Build

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 16547
edited September 2017 in Making & Modding
How can i build a les paul prototype in 2017?

We all know the 1952 was a flawed les paul.  What many might not know know is that some prototypes existed prior to this - at least one 1951 les paul. And Les was constantly modding the things  gibson sent him.

This means there are a few pics of old les pauls that don't quite match what we would expect.  

I was thinking of doing a 1952 style, but have decided I would rather be a bit different and take my influence from some of the earlier,  odder versions.

At its core it will be like a les paul we know and love.  I won't be replictaing flawed neck angles or unusal bridges.   But it won't be another burst clone.

here are the various sources of inspiration, you may have seen them before:

probably the most famous - different tailpiece, dearmond pickup under a modded P-90 cover. top mounted jack, no neck binding, chickenhead knobs etc

similar, but different pickup, trem tailpiece, bound neck, different controls

a few variations on the theme

Here is one many will be less familiar with.  No binding, florentine cutaway, dot markers, dog ear pickups, odd carve etc - as well as many mods around the switch, pickups and plate

or the same thing with a different tailpiece 

this guitar also had a full width tenon ala juniors, PRS etc..

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    Spec will definitely be a 1 piece mahogany body, lightly rippled sycamore top, wide tenon mahognay neck, rosewood fretbord.

Still trying to decide whether i will bind the fretboard and use dots or traps.

it will have a bridge/long tailpiece set-up.   I would like to try a couple of different floating bridges before i settle.    It will be routed for P-90's.   And i had a pickup maker point out he was working  on some dearmond dynasonic style pickups so i think that is decided for the neck

Still not sure if it will be gold top, or a nice vintage tint natural - but no bursts here
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4067
    Subscribed!

Looks like a wonderful project already, can't wait to see what you come up with. Personally I'd eschew the binding and go with a simple inlay on the fingerboard - maybe something else from the early Gibson golden years to stay "in the spirit of..." rather than aiming for a true copy?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    yes!

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Great idea Wez, subscribing to this one!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

edited July 2017
    Subscribed!

Looks like a wonderful project already, can't wait to see what you come up with. Personally I'd eschew the binding and go with a simple inlay on the fingerboard - maybe something else from the early Gibson golden years to stay "in the spirit of..." rather than aiming for a true copy?

Its definitely going to be an "in the spirit of" build.   I leave the truly authentic copies to others.   

I will get some pics of the wood up in the next few days.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Fantastic! I'm surprised i'd never seen most of those prototypes before. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Fantastic! I'm surprised i'd never seen most of those prototypes before. 

I am fairly sure most of the les paul owned  ones will have been modded beyond recognition within minutes of any of the above pics.

If you look at the original Ad for a les paul, it's a fairly safe guess he was not playing a standard spec 52

edited July 2017
    seems like it might be worth a go
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-String-Archtop-Guitar-Trapeze-Tailpiece-Bridge-Chrome-Guitar-Parts/152347271908

Edit:  I ordered one to see what it's like.  If it's junk, I will find something else.  It's too close to what I am after to ignore
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Excellent project, @WezV. Can't wait :)
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    This will be interesting wez

Love those early ones and I'm bored of bursts tbh

I do have my take on a modern one planned at some point, I think I read somewhere some of the early  52 ones were made with a Spanish cedar body which I'm keen to try 

Anyway I'll be watching
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    Cedrela is always a good choice.  I think the block I will be using here will be an African variety, slightly heavier piece so it will probably have some weight relief.

that 51 above is very reminiscent of the bigsby guitar, which was fully chambered. The Gibson also has a full back panel, article states it's to cover wiring channels, but it's also the kind of thing you would do if you realised your prototype was too heavy and wanted to add some chambers.

i am just convincing myself that a chambered version may still be in the spirit :)

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Cedrela is always a good choice.  I think the block I will be using here will be an African variety, slightly heavier piece so it will probably have some weight relief.

that 51 above is very reminiscent of the bigsby guitar, which was fully chambered. The Gibson also has a full back panel, article states it's to cover wiring channels, but it's also the kind of thing you would do if you realised your prototype was too heavy and wanted to add some chambers.

i am just convincing myself that a chambered version may still be in the spirit :)

I wouldn't worry about chambering as long as you still have some mass it'll get close tonally imo

I made a semi chambered goldtop that came out really good tone wise and it's alot easier on the back, Its just a slightly different tone, it was 7.8lb fully built the body was 5.2lb with a full carved top
    The mahogany back ended up about 4lb

Now get building so I can read something interesting, like your strat too btw

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)

I will definitely be weight relieving in some way even if its just the swiss approach.  I'm just happier if I can justify it as being something that might have happened originally ;)  

I will likely do a laminated neck and a modern 2-way truss rod even though there is no possible way I can claim that's period correct  :)

Hopefully the build will start this weekend 

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Looking forward to this build Wez, always nice to see something a bit different....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

wood pics

Mahogany, sycamore and rosewood

I have not selected the neck wood yet - i have loads of neck blank sized  mahogany to choose from 

this is the lowest grade of rippled sycamore from timberline, its still probably more figured than i was after, but ya know, i think I will cope ;)  Its a lower grade because the figure gets significantly weaker near the edge, the flame isn't that deep and it has a bit of discolouration right on the edge.   

its gonna look great covered in gold ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    This is rather charming

you get a fairly good look at the guitar a minute into this vid. note the plate has slipped, and in the vid above he seems to have added a couple of screws to the top edge

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    Look like Mary Ford has the prototype - can't tell what the bridge pickup is, might be 2 single coils with a switch by the jack? It's an unbound neck and no "Les Paul Model' on the headstock though.  Sounds like a cool project.  I have a 52 that was converted to 58 specs, but if you need any details from it, just let me know.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, it seems like Mary got the unbound neck one  on a few photos.   Its interesting to see both of those don;t seem to have anything other than a metal bar for the bridge.   I think I am going to start with the long aluminium bigsby bridge & saddle and go from there

Just got the body cut out 

6lb , but still 48mm thick so it should loose nearly half a pound on the thicknesser

a few thoughts on wood.

The mahogany:
    You may notice its quartersawn with some nice ribboning throughout.  This is certainly not part of the traditional burst recipe and you may not think its right for a Les Paul. If you look through BOTB you will see almost all of the classic Gibsons have flatsawn backs - except one, which isn't a burst.  serial number 8 3324.   Its a gold top believed to be owned by Mary Ford

Its not as unusual to see quartersawn backs on the earlier models

The sycamore: 
    also quartersawn throughout.   Obviously my choice of sycamore is a significant departure from the Gibson recipe.  But its worth remembering that gibsons use of flamed maple was an emulation of old violins.  The old violins will have been made from sycamore :)    Its going to be slightly lighter and warmer than the gibson maple, but that should suit the brighter pickups
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    a rough mock-up

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom