Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Les Paul Prototype Build

What's Hot

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    Interesting pickup choice.  A bit like 2 55 custom staple pickups.  What are you going to use for the bridge?  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27437
    P90s are good.
    Single piece mahogany (with a little weight relief if required) is good.
    Nicely flamed top is good - perhaps a little of it will show through it the gold top isn't too thick?
    Gold top is definitely good.

Tailpiece thingy not so good, but if you got it perfect, I'd be very jealous
    ;)

If you're doing a proper neck join, rather than a G-emulation, perhaps a bit of neck/body join carve-away?  Then I could forgive the tailpiece thingy ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16661
    I am still undecided on the pickups but I want them to be somethign unusual and period correct.  the back up plan is slug-pole P-90's

I just noticed TV jones do this model

the first bridge will be bigsby style because I have a dirty old one in the parts draw, but i may try a bowtie version too.  i may even try a solid aluminium bar with minimal shaping

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:

Tailpiece thingy not so good, but if you got it perfect, I'd be very jealous
    ;)

if i don't like the chunkier one, i will go this route

TTony said:

If you're doing a proper neck join, rather than a G-emulation, perhaps a bit of neck/body join carve-away?  Then I could forgive the tailpiece thingy ...
    no carve away - it will be a hybrid of the two show in the first post, just like i did on the last LP

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    WezV said:
    wood pics

Mahogany, sycamore and rosewood

IMO, 2 piece QS mahogany back is as good as it gets aesthetically. 

Stunning sycamore as well. 

As for pickups, have you heard from Mojo Marc when he'll put up the Dynasonics he said he'd put on his site? 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7764
    The pic with the dog ear p90s looked ace, if you go that route the bigsby bridge and a bigsby would look awesome.
    Not yet but Marc's currently top of the list for the neck pickup.  I know Ash also did some dybasonic stuff a few years back and may be able to help.  The big issue is the P-90 style cover with the wrong holes, and I was surprised to see TV Jones have that covered.

thr second pic in my first post shows Mary holding Les' guitar with the trem... and the bridge is clearly a P-90.  But what is the neck?  I reckon this is pre  dynasonic stage for this guitar.  Later pics with the dynasonic shows screws in the corner of the bridge pickup, but I think this is still pre-staple

i have been after a staple top for years, but I don't actually think it's right for this guitar.

WezV said:
    The big issue is the P-90 style cover with the wrong holes, and I was surprised to see TV Jones have that covered.
    To be precise, I think they've got the holes *un*covered
    ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The pic with the dog ear p90s looked ace, if you go that route the bigsby bridge and a bigsby would look awesome.
    If I later decide to go for a natural finish then dogears will be back on the table... but I think it's going to be a goldtop.

the fun bit will be comparing the final guitar with my original plan
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I'm in!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

a couple of modded 52's I quite like.  I think these get quite close to what I am after

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    the second one has a tailpiece and a half
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    normula1 said:
    First one is best though....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    normula1 said:
    The second one is there because it shows this kinda guitar with a natural top... it's not off the table as a finish option.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    You know I hadn't spotted the natural top under all that metal :) it's rather pretty without being an over the top "look at me".

I do like the idea of a bit flamed sycamore stealthily hiding under a gold top being revealed over time or with a touch of sensitive relicing
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    Definitely the first one, that's a good looking guitar
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    It won't be a clone of either.  My aim is something between the 51 proto in the first thread and a first run 52.  Those tailpiece mods get close.

That natural guitar above is a first run 52.  You can tell by the lack of binding and bridge P-90 with corner holes.  It will have been goldtop.  Both those 52's will have had the dodgy bridge tailpiece combo.  The shaved down tune-o-magic and replacement tailpiece is a common fix for the neck angle issues 52's have.  These days you can get 52 style bridge/tailpiece combos that work, but I want nothing to do with that feature.

the neck angle will be standard les paul, not 52 style.  Worse case, I do a "conversion" further down the line ;)
    WezV said:
    normula1 said:
    The second one is there because it shows this kinda guitar with a natural top... it's not off the table as a finish option.
    I'll wis that
    ;)

Gold tops are good, but gold finishes when you can still see the beauty of the wood underneath (but not in an "in your face" obvious style) are gooder-er.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Followed .....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    edited July 2017
    i thave been trying to consolidate my pickup options so did a drawing

i definitely want to have at least one of the pickups from the Les mods section - that's based on some of the previous pics where les is clearly messing with readily available single coils.

the bottom section is just ones i think would look nice, but wouldn't be period correct.   

I just found a supply of no-hole soapbar covers so I might have a go at seeing what I can make fit before i commission something to be wound.