Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Les Paul Prototype Build

What's Hot

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    edited July 2017
    Hi Wez,  I took some pictures of my 52 for you.  The first is from the end, to show you how flat the carve is:

If I can work out how to attach the images!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    WezV said:
    i thave been trying to consolidate my pickup options so did a drawing

i definitely want to have at least one of the pickups from the Les mods section - that's based on some of the previous pics where les is clearly messing with readily available single coils.

Unconventional, but I think a Charlie Christian in the neck would sound truly delectable.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    WezV said:
    i thave been trying to consolidate my pickup options so did a drawing

i definitely want to have at least one of the pickups from the Les mods section - that's based on some of the previous pics where les is clearly messing with readily available single coils.

Unconventional, but I think a Charlie Christian in the neck would sound truly delectable.  
    I considered a blade for a moment
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Trying again

Top carve and end

Front

Neck Heel

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017

PhilKing said:
    Hi Wez,  I took some pictures of my 52 for you.  The first is from the end, to show you how flat the carve is:

If I can work out how to attach the images!
    If you want to email them to me I will put them up.  Is this the one that had the centre section replaced as part of the conversion?  (Think I am getting confused becayse I remembered it was a 3-piece top
    Top from another angle (sorry about quality on this, trying to hold guitar and phone at the same time!)

A bit of history on the guitar.  It's on the cover of Atlantic Blues Guitar.  The wood grain is pretty distinctive, as is the sunburst (edges, as opposed to a teardrop).  The conversion and finish was done many years ago.  There is an incredible piece inlaid into the top to hold the bridge and tailpiece, which I don't know if you can see in the pictures.  It has faded and is checked from age, so I think it was done in the 50's or 60's.  It came from We buy guitars in New York, and back in the mid-90's, cost me $2,500 with 50's Lifton Gibson case.  

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If you ever feel like bringing it to the UK..... ;)

i think I will go for a bigger belly on mine, although it does highlight that I should avoid a deep recarve and overly dramatic shaping.  It's an easy trap to fall into when hand carving the top
    edited July 2017
    One other thing is the neck was never reset, so the Tune-o-matic is almost down on the wood.  It's also really light, much lighter than any other Les Paul I've played.
    edited July 2017
    Comparing with a 54 LP Goldtop
    End and carve

Another shot of the carve

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    Love the vintage carved tops, alot more subtle and better looking to me

I had someone ship me a carved top mapped from an original 56 because they're so bloody difficult to get right, it's to use on a copy carver
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    The 54 is making me question my choices ;)
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    The 54 is making me question my choices ;)
    I'm making one now, out of a burst I looked at and a 54 I'd have taken the 54 home, lovely guitar

Love em and i think I want a bigsby too

Oh it goes on, customs next 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    edited July 2017
    a subtle change, i shaved 5mm (now 43mm.  Just under the classic 1 3/4") off the front of the body which brings the starting weight down to 2361g/5.2lb .  the aim will be  to get it down to 4lb through  weight relief before this gets a top.  standard 9-hole weight relief  would take it to just over 4 1/2lb so I either need to double the number of holes, or go for some bigger chambers.   That should bring us in around 9lb. Hopefully under if I have my sums right

I am probably going to kink the main wiring channel slightly so it goes through the pickup routes a bit differently.   This way would rule out the 52 style P-90 with corner screws and I want to leave my options open.  also, it will have an extra wiring channel going to the tailpiece for grounding the strings - it won't need to be as large as shown here, but its to remind me to do it before gluing the top on

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    If you fancy building two alongside each other... ;)
    Don't say things like that.  It makes me think I could do a 54 style at the same time 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    Well in that case, three ;)
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    edited July 2017
    I love this bit of a build project - I like the thought processes and decision tree :)

The natural top (which my eyes were actually drawn to before the amazing tailpiece! ) in one of the photos above is one of those 'one day I will try and recreate that look' wow pieces...
    I love this bit of a build project - I like the thought processes and decision tree :)
    I hope you realise I will likely change my mind and ignore everything I have said at some point
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    WezV said:
    I hope you realise I will likely change my mind and ignore everything I have said at some point
    Exactly - that's what I love about it ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom