Spiller - Groovejet TotP

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
Disco special of TotP on BBC4 tonight.
Why did I like it so much? Because my girlfriend looks a bit like Sophie Ellis Bextor? 
No. 

It's that Surfcaster! Lush.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Great track.

One of those that takes you straight back in time…

Cool guitar, I always wanted one of them for the look but I couldn't get on with the necks on them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
    My mate Dean used to be in a band with her.

Sophie 'Moon Faced' Bexter is what he lovingly called her once and it stuck in my head.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I always loved the Frank Skinner line when he was giving her a Brit

'Sophie, cheer up, why the wide face?'

• Anyone know who the guitar 'player' is?  He was on TOTP a lot back then.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited February 2014

The track is a sample/reworking of Carol Williams Love is You, including the guitar which I think was played by Philly producer Norman Harris.  My assumption would be that the 'guitarist' on TOTP was probably a stand in.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311

The track is a sample/reworking of Carol Williams Love is You, including the guitar which I think was played by Philly producer Norman Harris.  My assumption would be that the 'guitarist' on TOTP was probably a stand in.

My assumption was that there was no real guitar played on the record at all, that it was all sampled. The 'band' on TotP is just to make it look more interesting than a bloke pressing the play button :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited February 2014
    Anyone know who the guitar 'player' is?  He was on TOTP a lot back then.
    @Del_Preston - His name is Darren Aldridge and he used to go by the name of something like *D Rail ?? I'll try and find out his *nickname. I know people that have used him for both vocal and guitar sessions and yes, he was a regular on TOTP. However, given this song was written by Rob Davis of Mud fame (and later Kylie's Can't get you out of my head) it could be RD playing on the recording, and he's a superb player and loves funk stuff! I used to watch him play in a south London funk pub covers band with the bassist of Mud (Ray Stiles) and whatever other session players were available for the gig.
  • Sophie Ellis Bextor is utterly gorgeous, I'd have gladly given my right arm for her.

;)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • munkymunky Frets: 9
    Good dancer too if I recall from Strictly Come Dancing (Which I don't, of course, watch) and still rather fine.
  • Kebabkid said:
    @Del_Preston - His name is Darren Aldridge and he used to go by the name of something like *D Rail ?? I'll try and find out his *nickname. I know people that have used him for both vocal and guitar sessions and yes, he was a regular on TOTP. However, given this song was written by Rob Davis of Mud fame (and later Kylie's Can't get you out of my head) it could be RD playing on the recording, and he's a superb player and loves funk stuff! I used to watch him play in a south London funk pub covers band with the bassist of Mud (Ray Stiles) and whatever other session players were available for the gig.
    The song was originally an instrumental by DJ Spiller that was lifted in the main from Love Is You, guitar and all.  It was sent to Rob Davis and his input was the lyrics and melody.
    edited February 2014
    Like a fine wine.... 

My girlfriend gets 'Sophie Ellis Bextor' a lot. 'Taylor Swift' sometimes too. I don't usually see it but in that Strictly clip I do. Happy days!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Kebabkid said:
    The song was originally an instrumental by DJ Spiller that was lifted in the main from Love Is You, guitar and all.  It was sent to Rob Davis and his input was the lyrics and melody.
    Aha - cheers for clearing that up @randomhandclap :)
    DiscoStu;172513" said:
    My girlfriend gets 'Sophie Ellis Bextor' a lot. 'Taylor Swift' sometimes too.

I don't usually see it but in that Strictly clip I do.

Happy days!
    Pics or it didn't happen!!! :D
    munky said:
    DiscoStu;172513" said:

Happy days!

Haha! Nice try!
    DiscoStu said:
    munky said:
    DiscoStu;172513" said:

Happy days!

Haha! Nice try!
    Bah! :D
  • RickydRickyd Frets: 149
    Kebabkid said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Aha - cheers for clearing that up @randomhandclap :)

Ah Mud, Mitcham boys playying at the Pollards Oak! Happy days.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
    Thats my mate Dean (dark swept back hair on the right) on the end with 'Moon Face' 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• stonevibe said:
    Thats my mate Dean (dark swept back hair on the right) on the end with 'Moon Face' 

"PHOTOS JUST IN: SOPHIE ELLIS BEXTOR KIDNAPPED BY GERMAN ANARCHIST GROUP."