Only American is good enough

What's Hot
maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
I just read a thread in speakers corner about one of us who has ordered a custom guitar from an American luthier and is still waiting for it after 5 years. This led me to ponder on the fact that it seems to be the general opinion of guitarists that only an American made instrument can ever be the ultimate guitar and object of ultimate lust. Anything made anywhere else can only be a poor second.
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sw67sw67 Frets: 228
    If it plays well and sounds good that's fine by me - that said all my guitars ( 4 ) are American made. More by luck than a deliberate choice.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    It's true. Once Mexican drug dealers and rapists get involved, everything falls apart.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    I don't give a damn where something is made.

A good guitar is a good guitar, irrespective of origin.

Sadly, that opinion is not shared by the majoirty.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • hah. only one of mine is American, the others are Finish and Canadian. They are awesome.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    • True, the solid body electric Spanish guitar is an American invention. This does not give the United States exclusive wisdom about how to make them.
    • CNC machines do not respect national borders. 
    • If one manufacturer has a patent-protected unique selling point, purchasers requiring that USP have no option but to buy from the manufacturer in question. 
    • Customers purchasing bespoke instruments from any small scale maker have to take their places in the queue.
    All pretty self-evident, really.

Be seeing you.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I think with the mass produced companies there's an element of truth in this, mainly because of their own policies. (Fender I'm thinking of you).

With anything else - forget it, one of the best guitars I own - a simply stunning instrument.

Was made by Feline in Croydon!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    peteri said:
    Feline in Croydon!
    Sorry but I cannot help hearing that spoken aloud in the style of the famous Peter Sellers comedy monologue, "Balham - Gateway To The South".
    Be seeing you.
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 880
    I think, to an extent, this is true but is related to the manufacturer's country of origin. My preference would be an American Fender, but a British Marshall.  If I were ever to buy an Ibanez again, i would prefer Japanese. The guitar I have owned from new for 27 years was made just down the road. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't think so...  There are certainly a couple of American companies well-known for making guitars associated with some famous music.  But that doesn't mean only the Americans can make a good guitar.

One of mine (Gibson Melody Maker Special) was made in America by an American company.
    One (Hondo HL5) was made in Japan by an American (?) company.
    One (modern Hagstrom) was made in China by a Swedish company.
    One (Cort bass) was made in Korea I think
    And a couple of Chinese-made acoustics (Hondo and Tanglewood)

Obviously some of these are better-made than others, but not necessarily by country of manufacture/ownership.  They are all perfectly serviceable musical instruments.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    The UK builders scene is a cottage industry compared to that of the US megaliths in terms of  guitars. CNC allows companies to be more profitable & competitively priced which is why UK builders are and will stay at the hand finished "boutique" end of the spectrum. They have little option to build on that scale without large startup capital and high demand.

That and guitar history which generally looks backwards, if even Nels Cline plays a Jazzmaster & Julian Lage plays a tele, modern rock bands play PRS, Gibsons & Fenders & Guthrie plays a Charvel no one is going to get too excited about a beautiful Patrick James Eggle etc etc unfortunately.

The acoustic buyers market is a bit more open minded about what is on the headstock IMO
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    I have 4 completely american guitars, a couple of bitsas, two of which are part-yank, and one japanese.

All are great. Two of the best three are all-american, but that isn't why they're better.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    The Germans would probably disagree too - Nik Huber, Frank Hartung, etc - small potatoes in terms of volume but top top tier workmanship...
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I've got one or two made in the UK.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    The majority of my instruments are American made.

In some cases there was no actual equivalent for my budget, in others its just what was best in the shop.
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1083
    I've had quite a few absolute duff high end Gibsons! Still not played a bad Japenese Gretsch though!

Not a surprise though, anyone who's into Jap denim will get that.
    Gretsch and Rickenbacker have their origins back in the Fatherland.
    Make of that what you will.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26461
    I have four guitars - one is my Korean Strat, currently in bits and not really a fair comparison with the others.

One is a Washburn N4 from the USA Custom Shop - it's a fantastic guitar.

One is a beautiful Tele made by Jaden Rose, with a five-piece wenge and purpleheart neck, a driftwood-finished wenge top over a swamp ash body.

The other is a lightweight Tele also by Jaden, with a black limba body, pistachio fretboard, and hardware from his Series 2 guitars.

The main three are all stunning guitars, but the one I reach for most often is the lightweight Tele, followed closely by the fancy Tele. The key point is that while I've played quite a few American guitars, none of them come close to the two by Jaden.

Made in Wales FTW :D
    <space for hire>

Made in Wales FTW :D

I feel a Terry Morgan joke coming on.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited July 2017
    American stuff is just made better in a way that no other country can match. Just look at the skill and care that this legendary craftsmen uses in this video. No un-American could ever do this - meaning you just don't get the same tonezzz.https://youtu.be/8M2a1yUmvEQ
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14036
    tFB Trader
    A number of points to consider

I think as an overview statement that the ultimate guitar does not exist - Regarding feel, tonal character and aesthetic appeal, then we all have different opinions as to what constitutes the 'ultimate guitar'

I feel today that the golden era of guitar building is with us, be it the big companies, or boutique companies from anywhere around the world

The perception of 'USA is best'  has its roots in the birth of  popular music, be it rock, blues or pop - Look at Woodstock, early Beatles recordings, Led Zep albums, Cream, Elvis etc etc and all the early influential days and it is just about USA dominated regarding guitar brands - I recall PRS telling me that Hendrix will never ever play one of his guitars and as such he can't compete with that history

I think we'd all pretty much guarantee that to make the 'ultimate' guitar that we require a certain quality of ingredients - Be it wood, hardware, pick-ups, finish and certainly luthier skills - On a one of build I'm sure that many fine UK luthiers can compete with similar USA luthiers - Yet as mentioned above, small boutique luthiers will stay at this level as the capital required to go from a one man business to a 10/20 or 50 man company is immense, with relevant sales increase required to finance such an operation - As such boutique will stay boutique and nothing wrong with that

I do believe there is a perceived value attached to what a fine USA builder can charge, as against the same guitar built by the same luthier with the same ingredients but now built in China - This works for both boutique built or company built - As such a USA company/builder can load up its ingredient costs with the finest hardware, pick-ups and premium grade tonewoods, as well as a higher labour cost (than compared to say China) - Now add perceived values and quality, potential resale values,  history, plus the desirable factors that go with owning that brand and it is easier to attach a USA brand name to such costs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom