Only American is good enough

What's Hot

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I get why people would think that. Going back to the source, kinda thing.. But good, even great, guitars can be, and are made, all over the world!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    I have a Japanese Ibanez from 84 which is the best pound for pound guitar I have ever played. My Japanese Tokai Strat is superb as well. 
    The best guitars I have played in recent times in regard to being perfectly set up and the standard of fit and finish are Duesenbergs .... we don't quite know where they are made but we know it's not the USA :)

The best guitars were invented in the USA though and yeah they do have the highest resale value 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    It's mostly about the name on the headstock.

Skoda are basically VWs but there is still a desire to have the VW.  However well made a Lexus is, most people would still prefer a Merc.   If I came out with a new watch that never lost or gained time, and had a battery that lasts forever, I would still struggle to sell it to the Rolex/Breitling brigade.

Guitars are the same.  People want Fender/Gibson/Martin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24250
    I've got

4 USA
    1 Germany
    1 Japanese

And I have no idea where my Epi was made. Could be anywhere.

The German one is both my favourite and seems to be built the best.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14213
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    It's mostly about the name on the headstock.

Skoda are basically VWs but there is still a desire to have the VW.  However well made a Lexus is, most people would still prefer a Merc.   If I came out with a new watch that never lost or gained time, and had a battery that lasts forever, I would still struggle to sell it to the Rolex/Breitling brigade.

Guitars are the same.  People want Fender/Gibson/Martin.
    true - Need and want are 2 distinctively different animals - One is generally based on desire the other is often based on limited funds available

We NEED a car so for many it is a fund based Ford/Vauxhall/Citreon etc - But many still DESIRE a nice German auto
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Ironically, some of the best guns in the World are made in Austria and Israel.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7022
    tFB Trader

Is it a Höfner?

Is it a Höfner?
    No.

Marleaux.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I've never subscribed to that, out of my current line up of 10 guitars only one is US made and it  shares top billing equally with 3 of my non US guitars.  My Canadian made Godin electric nylon string solid body is it's biggest rival for the simple reason I only use it for a few songs  with my band at the moment.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Most of my stuff is built in the UK, and that's excluding the stuff I build myself
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
    Duesenberg are made in....................................................................oh forget it!
    Link to my trading feedback
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bobliefeldbobliefeld Frets: 425
    Generally the best guitars in a shop are gonna be USA made.  Gibson, PRS, Fender.  Maybe there's some Japanese guitars too if it's a fancy shop.  There's guitars from all over the world that are "better" but USA guitars are the usually the best you can easily get your hands on.

But if live in the UK and you're ordering custom from a luthier in the USA , unless it's something no one else does like a EGC or whatever, you're probably mental.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    I think that there are two lines of thinking here. One is the offshore cheap version of an American guitar, Squier, Epi etc. The other is an alternative to the Big 2. 

Someone mentioned acoustic players being less narrow minded and it also works with bass. If I buy a bass it's the best bass for the money and does what I want it to do. I've had English and German basses but currently using an American bass and a Czech EUB.

Guitar wise it's all American simply because the brand didnt make offshore versions or I was happy to pay for an American one. 

Fender have started to make expensive Mex and Japan guitars, so if the quality is the same as an American or near to it that's ok. However I think that it's an excuse to put the price of the real ones up. PRS have done it. Gibson do it by providing American guitars with less appointments to fill in the sub £1000 range. 

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7022
    tFB Trader

Marleaux.
    Wow. I'd never heard of Marleaux but taking a look, they make really nice basses. For the price they ought to be good. :)

Marleaux.
    Wow. I'd never heard of Marleaux but taking a look, they make really nice basses. For the price they ought to be good. :)
    I've got a Consat Custom 5 string.

It's a wonderful instrument - it's the one I'll be buried with. I've had it for about 6 years and it's always the first one I get out of the rack.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1452141_10152018760723726_1948591525_n.jpg?oh=98b035e72e02b974ee5ffb635229a992&oe=59CE2AA2

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    Was that in the bass gallery a while ago? If it was it  is one of the best basses I have played. 
    slacker said:
    Was that in the bass gallery a while ago? If it was it  is one of the best basses I have played. 
    Don't tink so

I've had it for about 6 years and I got it from the original owner.

There is another with a very similar top that is on the Marleaux website. Maybe that one
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    The Americans are excellent marketeers and advertise their brands, albeit with a lot of bullshit. making them more desirable. Looking back to some of the advertising campaigns for USA strats, giving us 'Fender...born in the USA' . 'The American standard...a handmade original'. 'It spawned 20 imitations and an entire industry' Gibson with their 'Only a Gibson is good enough' It's the same with clothing, Levis must be the biggest brand in denim, I've had numerous pairs of Levis jeans but i'm not sure whether they're any better quality than a £8 pair from Asda. Their cars are always given exotic names, 'Mustang' 'Bel Air' 'Camaro' 'Thunderbird' whilst the best the Brits could rustle up was, 'Minor' 'Maxi' 'Allegro' etc.     
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3620
    USA is where all the greatest electric guitars were born, all my heroes played them, so they have a historical resonance for me. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    I have guitars from USA, Canada, Korea, China, Indonesia and Mexico.  I would say only good enough is good enough.  Where it's made is not much of a factor.