line 6 pod hd 500 final set of reassurances please guys

nickpnickp Frets: 183
thanks everyone for your input so far.  Because funds are tight and I don't want to sell a guitar (at the mo) then I'm looking at the cheaper end of the multi FX rather than the lovely end.  I've seen the guide to removing tone suck so that's fine thanks to @bloodandtears ;by way of reminder I'm hoping to acheive is:

Guitar - POD tuner/PODWah/PODcompression/OCD/Thorpygunshot/ENGL screamer (or blackstar series one head)

Then in the loop 4cm:  ENGL - POD Volume or boost/PODreverb/PODdelay/PODmodulation - ENGL 

the boost/volume in the loop is to give a solo volume boost so could be from volume pedal mapped to loop, or PODboost, or a PODEQ 

If using a volume pedal in the loop then the expression pedal will have to double up as Wah pedal in front of the amp.

In terms of usage I'm after a pedalboard affair where I use the POD as a bunch of on/off stompboxes.  But with the facility to change the pedalboard to a different one for different guitars/or songs - mainly I need three different delaysto get through our set - slapback, normalish, and v long atmospheric delay thing (unless that's just a knobtwiddling exercise to change the delay mix and level etc)

Mostly I'm interested in the quality of the FX that they are OK (I'm not a complete tone freak about modulations etc) and that getting it to work in a gig situation as a bunch of different pedalboards is fairly simple once I've got used to how to program it.  Also are there enough switches to operate the individual PODstomps.   - that's my issue on the M13 is that it's only got 4 FX where i'm after a feckload - well 5 or 6 I guess

The second situation is the same as @gearaddict  - using for the odd festival where I'll set up the whole thing to provide my drive and amp tones but that's probably a completely seperate problem but presumably achievable as that's what it was designed to do I guess.  We'd only be doing short sets of say 30-45 minutes at festivals so it's not worth getting sniffy about drive tones too much as long as the crunches are ok.

I did ask the above on the line 6 forum but they don't seem to get it and think I'm a bit odd for not wanting to use the amp/cab section of the thing.

thanks a lot and for taking the trouble to help guys as I'm aware that I'm really getting anal about this

Nick

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1646
    The cost of a used HD500x means you can certainly experiment with this concept without losing bucket loads.

I took mine to Malta with just a guitar to perform in my Metallica tribute.

NB: If you intend to use more than 4 fx assigned footswitches.. then you will need to change the global footswitch mode setting from A-D to 5-8.. but changing patches then involves a two step footswitch procedure...(bank select --> A-D)

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    The HD500X is perfectly adequate as a stand alone multi FX unit. I'm not a fan of the gain pedals within it, if I'm honest, but you've probably got that covered. Then again, I can be accused of being a cork sniffer here...
    The modulation effects are very good - certainly good enough for most ears and the delays/reverbs are superb.

The only issue with the HD500 and HD500X was the switches weren't the greatest - they were the single biggest cause for return under warranty. They do take a bit of dialling in, in my experience, but once set they stay so.

I don't think you'll regret it - they are great for the money, pretty flexible (arguably more flexible options are available - but they tend to be dearer) and they can sound good.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I use a pod HD500 in similar way.. i have a few settings on it, my normal method is similar to what you want, i use tuner/boost/comp/vol/delay/reverb etc in the pod then use a separate drive pedal.
    then i use an all pod settings for practice where amp/cap is used straight into PA, which sounds just fine.

in summary.. yeah its fine. :)

• nickpnickp Frets: 183
    cool, thanks everyone.  ebay here i come :)
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    When you get it make sure you install all software and get all the updates for it. It's worth the time upgrading. 
    Also register it with line 6 if you can - they are great for troubleshooting any issues.
    ta @LuttiS ;.  there's a few on fleabay :)  the one ending soonest has a ferked footswitch so that's no good.  
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118

If you're looking to buy I've a HD500X I'll probably let go

monofin said:

If you're looking to buy I've a HD500X I'll probably let go

pm sent