Guitar Midi Controller

What's Hot
DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
edited February 2014 in Studio & Recording
I'm an awful keyboard player and wondered if anybody had any good experiences/feedback on using a guitar as a midi controller.  

Is there any models or methods to look out for as best practice? 

Ideally I'd like to be able to plug into something which does that work for me but I'm not sure if that capability even exists.

Cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8684
    The biggest problem for a guitarist is getting the timing right.  You have to play with fingers to get notes to sound simultaneously, and you have to play cleanly, more like a classical guitarist.  Percussive instruments like a grand piano are still very difficult to get right, whereas synth and organ are a lot easier.  I had great success with synthesised Hammond, synth pads, and string pads. 

My advice would be to get a second hand Roland GR-33, plus a GR-2 or GR-3 pickup which you can tape to your guitar temporarily, and see whether it works for you.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Ah now that sounds like a plan.  Cheers mate. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    http://jamorigin.com/products/midi-guitar/

This is *THE* best thing out there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I believe that there are fantastic sonic landscapes to explore with midi access.

Good call on second hand Roland stuff.
    Any midi guitar gear might take time to sell on if it's not for you, so be aware it is a limited market.
    Can't access the jam origin site, but then I am having massive problems with t'net since the storms, so looking forward to that.

Top tip is to play cleanly, if you play slightly fluffed notes that is what any midi system will give you back and worse too.
    (Also, if there is any lag / latency in the system you will need to play slightly ahead of the beat for live performance, or clean up in your DAW.)

The biggest issue in playing midi guitar is mind-set.
    No matter how good your technique, if you approach every instrument like the guitar it will sound "just wrong", trust me.
    You need to understand something of the technique, limitations and approach of the instrument you are "playing", including samples and synths.
    This is probably the hardest thing to get your head around, but it will make SOooo much difference to what you get from the experience.

Good luck if you give it a try, and do let us know what you think.  Cheers, Chris  :)

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    For the hardware versions you need to spend time setting them up for your playing style and as most have said you need to adapt your playing for the type of instrument you are using.

A lot of this applies to software as well and with software based stuff you can at least refresh your synths etc with newer versions. Whether that is any cheaper is a bit of a debate.

Of course you can trigger software synths etc using the hardware too and again it takes a bit of work to set it up for you and adjust your playing.

The GR-55 has the most up to date parameters for setting it to your individual style but is not perfect. Neither are software ones and I would respectfully disagree with Drew on the Jam Origin.

One wildcard is the Fishman Triple Play which adds a pickup similar to the GK-3 but it is wireless using a wee USB dongle to PC or Laptop, there is talk of a stand alone unit but who knows.

Here is some info and a link to a forum with users experience of the Fishman unit.

http://www.fishman.com/tripleplay

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=cae66bc84dbb54b9d2413925bba5d876&board=134.0

The V Guitar Forum is the best resource out there for guitar synths etc and VG type gear, among other high tech solutions.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/

I have used GR/GK/VG stuff since back in the day and have owned most units and software solutions, of course it is subjective and is not a one size fits all thing.

But you get back what you put in by way of setup and adjusting your playing to suit the patches/tones in use. most cannot be arsed and it is a wee bit away from being truly fully plug and play as yet. But way better than most are aware of compared to older kit.

Check this for what can be acheived.

Ignore the cheesiness though.

• Get to the Brum Guitar show.  There is bound to be a Roland rig that you can have a go on. 
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Get to the Brum Guitar show.  There is bound to be a Roland rig that you can have a go on. 
    now there's a plan.

thanks for the help guys.
  • You may get a deal on the day too.  Remember to come and say hi to the handsome lads on the forum's stand.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    I'd seriously look at the Yourock YRG midi-controller, it is far from a toy and you don't get any note to midi conversion glitches.
    I have the GR20 and use it with Logic etc and it's fine, but you have to have a very clean technique toy make certain instruments work reasonably
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I would agree, it depends on what you want it for. I have both the Roland GR20 and the Axon AX100, used with a Ghost system in the bridge.

For synth chords behind the main guitar rhythm when we play live, they both work very well, with the Axon having the amazing capability of splitting the fretboard and strings for different patches. Using either device with a hold pedal really works for us given that we're a 3 piece, so the additional layer of sound helps greatly. Obviously the concept doesn't work when I play solos, but I'm thinking about a looper pedal to perhaps help with this.

Single note stuff, as others have said, requires good technique, but I tend to not use it for that purpose.
    Thre is always the option of trying to find an old Casio MG510, which actually has a midi out and doesn't need any floor unit.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I have a Fishman Tripleplay. Just awesome with no latency or bad tracking. 
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    The Triple Play is good but has a few drawbacks for some (not me though). As it was designed by the guy who did the Axon stuff it is better latency wise and probably the best out there.

Cons to consider.

A decent PC/MAC/Laptop with a decent audio interface to use it really.

Cannot send the guitar mag pickups via the inbuilt wireless setup.

Final cost is similar or more as a Roland GR-55 wiht a GK3 pickup unless you already own a decent compouter and an Audio I/F.

If using it live not as convenient as a floor unit (apparently on the way, one day) and wrangling your PC/PC Crashes etc.

Tis really good though and would be great in a home studio or a well setup portable live setup, plus being software based is updateable when you need new sounds, samples or any other fun gizmos.

I like the zone split carried over from the Axon setup and of course the superior tracking (all things being equal with your computer setup).
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Drew_fx said:

Precisely what I'd recommend too.
    It is pretty damn good.
    I have persevered with the jamorigin, still nowhere near as accurate and dynamic as a well setup Roland GK GR20 imho
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Drew_fx said:

There's quite a bit of latency but it sounds great.