Acid attacks in London

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Emp_Fab said:
    Just to play a bit of devil's advocaat, say these people had been targeting only Asian men who had themselves disfigured women by acid attacks.  To give them a 'taste of their own medicine' so to speak.  Would anyone here feel less angry about it?
    What's the point in asking that sort of question?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The latest attack was about robbery, not revenge. Still very rare when compared to gun and knife crime in London. One was man stabbed to death and shot last night and many more wounded. Typical Friday in London.

Figures showed a 42 per cent rise in the number of overall offences of gun crime and an increase of 24 per cent rise in the number of knife crime offences, with 12,074 offences last year, compared to 9,742 in 2015/16.

More worryingly, there was also a rise in the number of guns being fired on London’s streets, up from 239 cases in 2015/16 to 306 cases in the last financial year.

There was also a 20 per cent increase in the rate of knife attacks involving injuries to victims, up from 3,663 to 4,415 in 2016/17.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24255
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Just to play a bit of devil's advocaat, say these people had been targeting only Asian men who had themselves disfigured women by acid attacks.  To give them a 'taste of their own medicine' so to speak.  Would anyone here feel less angry about it?

I think it's fairly obvious why I'm asking that sort of question.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Emp_Fab said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I think it's fairly obvious why I'm asking that sort of question.
    It's not obvious. Just say what you mean.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24255
    OK.  I'm curious about the possible double standards of people who, on one hand, express revulsion at the acts committed by these criminals in London yet on another day might support an "eye for an eye" form of punishment for people who disfigure women (almost exclusively) in this manner.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited July 2017
    Emp_Fab said:
    OK.  I'm curious about the possible double standards of people who, on one hand, express revulsion at the acts committed by these criminals in London yet on another day might support an "eye for an eye" form of punishment for people who disfigure women (almost exclusively) in this manner.
    No you are looking to pour petrol on the fire and cause yet another thread where you can walk away wringing your hands crying "why does everyone hate me?"

The answer is of course no, none has either the right to dispense or deserve to receive vigilante 'justice' we have professionals for that.

otherwise cases such as Bijan Abrahimi will become more common.

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3434
    Sweet mother of god, the fuck is wrong with people?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11872
    octatonic said:
    bodhi said:

A more effective solution is to endeavour to ensure young people feel included and valued and able to achieve 
    I agree.  But if you throw acid in someone's face, then sorry - you have no place in civilized society no matter what your excuse is.
    Agree.
    This isn't dealing drugs to people that want them, or nicking something in order to sell it to get some money.
    I can kinda see the reasoning behind doing that- even if I don't agree with it.
    Throwing acid in people's faces is premeditated by definition and it is just beyond the pale- the consequences for victims is lifelong and IMHO the punishment should be a life sentence.
    it is, as far as I know:
    GBH with intent can be given a "life" sentence 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grievous_bodily_harm#Section_18_2

I'd assume a severe sentence will be given for these attacks
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1782
    It amazes me that so many substances are controlled in the UK in comparison to some other countries but you can buy high molar strength acid on Ebay and other sites. You have to question what is really the personal need for these chemicals there are few situations I can think of.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    mellowsun said:
    Another acid attack last night, this time in Dagenham
    Sod that -- just 5 minutes away. 
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3317
    Emp_Fab said:
    Perhaps everyone should carry some bicarb on them, in case.  It would help to increase the pH of the acid.  Certainly better than the detergents suggested earlier.
    Water better Emp.  Same goes for acid in eyes.  Adding alkaline generates heat from the reaction.  
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3317
    bodhi said:

My point was that I don't think sentences of that nature act as a deterrent.   
    Well, whatever the penalty currently is, it sure as hell didn't deter these two little bastards.

But I do imagine that the thought of being arrested, hauled into court, and ending up in prison might actually help to keep most people in line if/when their thoughts turn to committing a spot of crime.  It works on me, in any case.
    But you are normal !!! =)
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    bodhi said:

My point was that I don't think sentences of that nature act as a deterrent.   
    Well, whatever the penalty currently is, it sure as hell didn't deter these two little bastards.

But I do imagine that the thought of being arrested, hauled into court, and ending up in prison might actually help to keep most people in line if/when their thoughts turn to committing a spot of crime.  It works on me, in any case.
    But you are normal !!! =)
    I must admit that my thoughts turned to crime on two occassions:  Once when I considered punching my sister-in-law in the head, but then changed my mind and considered punching her in the head twice instead.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    Emp_Fab said:
    Perhaps everyone should carry some bicarb on them, in case.  It would help to increase the pH of the acid.  Certainly better than the detergents suggested earlier.
    Water better, Emp.  Same goes for acid in eyes.  Adding alkaline generates heat from the reaction.  
    Flushing with water is the first course of action.

Industrial sites where substances hazardous to health are routinely used will have safety showers, eye baths and, sometimes, full immersion baths.

Calcium Bicarbonate might be applicable for neutralising Hydro-fluoric acid burns. It is a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut but, then, HF acid is seriously scary. Any source of calcium that combines with the HF acid instead of your bones is good. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited July 2017
    Emp_Fab said:

What happens if you get hit with a strong alkali, though? Do you need to carry a strong acid too?

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11444
    There are a lot of calls for controls, but surely they could just go nick a car battery and drain the acid.

Rather than put massive controls in place and introducing more bureacracy and costs for legitimate users, they might better putting big penalties on people who carry it the same as they do with knives.  If I'm a butcher and have a knife, or if I have a knife in my kitchen at home then it's not a problem.  If I carry it on the street there are massive penalties these days.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    they should all be deported to the colonies....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    they should all be deported to the colonies....
    On a large boat perhaps ?