52 American Vintage Tele...or not?

What's Hot
TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
About to pull the trigger on one of these. They ain't cheap so try and convince me not to buy it.

I used to have an American Standard which was lush, but not very "twangy". It was a compromise guitar and I decided I wanted a balls-to-the-wall Tele. 

Thoughts?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jamesjames Frets: 50
    Do it. (I'm also thinking about one...)
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324

You can't really beat a proper Tele. My old 2000 American Standard wasn't the best Tele I've played so I sold it and luckily picked up a NOS 69 Thinline AV for less than I got for my old American Standard! Then I picked up a Baja a few years before the price increases and its a belter.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I've played a few.  They can vary.  One or two of them were very close to the Custom Shop 52 spec Tele that I had for a while, but some of the others were pretty lifeless.  I'd definitely want to try before buying.  To be honest I'd say that for Custom Shop guitars. The one I had was a lot better than the other CS Tele I played in the same shop when I bought it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    I had one from the late nineties. Finish was a bit thick - but it was a great sounding and playing guitar.

The more recent ones (2012 onwards IIRC) are more 'vintage accurate' - and have much bigger necks than earlier ones.

As with any guitar, they all vary a bit - but a good one is a great guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Add an extra £600 or so and get a custom shop one imo
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    Add an extra £600 or so and get a custom shop one imo
    Currently accepting donations ;)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6096
    I love my AVRI 52 Tele. I was fortunate to get a b stock one for a secondhand price. Big fat neck and a bostin sound, especially when fitted with heavier guage strings.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4684

The ones I played were nice enough, but like Rich said above, thick finishes and the necks are usually quite shiny.  Personally, I'd go partscaster for half the price and a nice oil finish, makes for a nicer guitar for much less.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Have you tried a Classic 50's Lacquer? Neck isn't quite as meaty and many change the pickups (though I was fine with the stock versions). Quite a saving over the AVRI and they play very well.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    I have a 2010/11 example.  I hated the stock pickups. I have changed them several times in the hope of getting the guitar close to being a poor man's NoCaster. It invariably fails to meet that brief because the neck is too slim (compared to the Noke).

Right now, the guitar has Duncan '53 Tapped Tele Lead and Fender Nocaster neck/rhythm pickups. Interesting but no Nocaster. 

For the right offer, I could be persuaded to part with this guitar. [Unsubtle hint!]
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 849

I've had three of them over the last 15 or so years.  All good guitars, but the one I've had for the last 7 or so years is a monster.  Light weight, very resonant, twang if you want it but not shrill.  Have done pop, Rock & Roll, Country and Heavy Metal gigs with it.  Never a problem.

Play a few and one will speak to you.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I have a 2010/11 example.  I hated the stock pickups. I have changed them several times in the hope of getting the guitar close to being a poor man's NoCaster. It invariably fails to meet that brief because the neck is too slim (compared to the Noke).

Right now, the guitar has Duncan '53 Tapped Tele Lead and Fender Nocaster neck/rhythm pickups. Interesting but no Nocaster. 

For the right offer, I could be persuaded to part with this guitar. [Unsubtle hint!]
    You're new to this selling lark, aren't you?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited July 2017
    I have a 2015, I really like it. Nice and light. Finish is not thick and after a year is sinking in nicely, lots of wood grain showing through already. The neck was a little sticky at first but not so noticeable now, maybe the lacquer has cured a bit more?

I changed the stock bridge saddles for Glendale's as the stock ones wore grooves in quite quickly and I was getting sitar effect on B string. The new saddles are intonated and have shorter grub screws so no jagged edges on your palm.

It's a really solid, great sounding guitar with a lovely sounding neck pickup. DO IT!

• TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    I have a 2015, I really like it. Nice and light. Finish is not thick and after a year is sinking in nicely, lots of wood grain showing through already. The neck was a little sticky at first but not so noticeable now, maybe the lacquer has cured a bit more?

I changed the stock bridge saddles for Glendale's as the stock ones wore grooves in quite quickly and I was getting sitar effect on B string. The new saddles are intonated and have shorter grub screws so no jagged edges on your palm.

It's a really solid, great sounding guitar with a lovely sounding neck pickup. DO IT!

The bridge saddles are my only "meh" point. I know they are true to the sound but have you found the intonation suffered from having them? Are the stock saddles compensated or literally just a brass barrel?

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    Sassafras said:
    You're new to this selling lark, aren't you?
    Can't get the staff. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    Had one which was brilliant, shouldn't have let it go! Got it for a crazy price also.

But they do seem the sort of guitars which like a fight! The chunky necks are amazing sounding but if your in the small mittens club make sure you try before you buy...

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    TinLip said:

The bridge saddles are my only "meh" point. I know they are true to the sound but have you found the intonation suffered from having them? Are the stock saddles compensated or literally just a brass barrel?
    The intonation was OK, passable but not exact, they are fine and I I would have kept them save for the grooves that wore into them, the Glendales are better quality brass, intonate perfectly and sound the same. It's an easy swap but stick with the stock saddles until you really feel the need to change would be my recommendation.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    edited July 2017
    JezWynd said:
    Have you tried a Classic 50's Lacquer? Neck isn't quite as meaty and many change the pickups (though I was fine with the stock versions). Quite a saving over the AVRI and they play very well.
    Best Tele I've ever played. More twang than my 2005 American Std which, TBH, sounds pretty generic. I understand that the American Std (surprisingly IMHO) doesn't have a baseplate on the bridge pickup which I gather is pretty essential for that Tele spank.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    I have a 2015, I really like it. Nice and light. Finish is not thick and after a year is sinking in nicely

Presumably two years of sinking in?
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7151
    I'd absolutely love one. Given the choice of pretty much any tele I'd take one of those.... so no, don't get one... I'll be jealous