Anybody notice a sudden price jump in guitars? I know they have been rising

What's Hot

Comments

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

This is the Guitar forum.

Take the politics to Off Topic or Speakers Corner.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    Certainly not going to get into a Brexit discussion and that leave or stay debate - But Thomann in Germany are still in the EU and prices have gone up there as well so don't blame prices on Brexit alone - The $ price in the USA for the same guitar has also gone up for various reasons - So I'm not defending the situation as I can't, but prices have always gone up over the years - Sometimes steeper price increases than others - I'm sure we'd rather not have price increases or inflation but it is a fact just as taxes are
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    capo4th said:
    fandango said:
    capo4th said:

Hope the leavers are all enjoying higher prices and less disposable income 
    'Project Fear' alive and well on The Fretboard. Oh FFS, get a grip. If one worries about what's outside, one would never leave the house.

Leaving the EU isnt about the economics, and we all realise there's a price for regaining independence. The leavers know this. The country knows this, yet a few remainers continue to stake their claim as Pub Bore of the decade. Zzzzzzzz.

There's something to be said for being an independent nation. Making our own choices, setting our own laws, maintaining our own borders, trading with the rest of the world, etc.

Banging on about high prices as an excuse to remain wedded to the increasingly belligerant EU is such a bore. Yadda yadda. We've had 18 months of this shit, and all the other doom mongering from remainers, its pathetic.

Despite what the BBC tell you, there are positives, and its up to every Brit to realise this, and make it a success and not a failure.

Not project fear my friend just simple facts that everyone is worse off as a result of higher prices.

Everyone has less disposable income due to higher prices that is a fact.
    Money isn't everything.  Personally I am willing and was expecting to lose a bit of disposable income, though so far it's yet to happen, I haven't noticed much of a change in our monthly bills so far, but I accept that could change once we leave the EU completely.  If the price for self-government is that I have to spend a few hundred quid less on guitar gear a year, then I'll take it.

Brexit is being used as an excuse for everything right now but guitars often jump in price at least twice per year and they have been on an upward trajectory for many years now. My advice is to stop buying new gear, or at the very least wait until the sales are on and get one at a reasonable price.  If the companies can't shift their stock due to it being too expensive, then they will have to lower their prices, regardless what's going on with the exchange rate, Brexit or other issues.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    I bought a Champion  40 from PMT and the price went up 20- odd quid while he was looking at his pooter .He honoured the original price of course  and chucked in a new lead as well .
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    Yes, same thread as before really. As I pointed out in the other one, high end modellers are getting much cheaper. And presumably they are subject to the same currency effects that guitars are. So there's something a bit fishy going on.

On the bright side this should give a massive advantage to any UK based luthiers (if there is still such a thing)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1705
    The 2nd hand market on certain stuff is ridiculous 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    What people ask for second-hand stuff is ridiculous; what they actually get is another matter.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    NelsonP said:
    Yes, same thread as before really. As I pointed out in the other one, high end modellers are getting much cheaper. And presumably they are subject to the same currency effects that guitars are. So there's something a bit fishy going on.

On the bright side this should give a massive advantage to any UK based luthiers (if there is still such a thing)
    I suspect that's more to do with chips getting cheaper, as they always have done when tech moves on so quickly. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1705
    edited July 2017
    Brize said:
    What people ask for second-hand stuff is ridiculous; what they actually get is another matter.
    That's obvious. But there's so much stuff that just doesn't sell.
    But when people come to sell something they see these silly prices and then value their guitar on that. Not taking into account that a lot of gutars are getting repetedly relisted on ebay. Or they look at retail asking prices 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Even a slight drop in demand will nudge retail prices upwards. The box shifters seem to be offering more interest free credit to tempt the punters.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    capo4th said:

Without expressing which side of the debate I'm on, could we possibly change the forum rules to keep talk about Brexit in Speakers Corner?

It's turning things a bit nasty at times, and we are all supposed to be fret bros in here :)
    Why wouldn't you express which side of the debate your on? Far too many people in the closet on so many issues.

I didn't want to seem like I was coming in, expressing my opinion and trying to shut down someone else's is all.

I think this place is actually really well moderated with a light touch sadly missing in some other places, so if the guys who run things are cool, I'm cool.

FWIW - I'm a strong remainer. :)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    Brize said:
    That's obvious. But there's so much stuff that just doesn't sell.
    But when people come to sell something they see these silly prices and then value their guitar on that. Not taking into account that a lot of gutars are getting repetedly relisted on ebay. Or they look at retail asking prices 
    Yep, agreed. I was looking at buying a 2011 Les Paul R8, that I think was listed for £2,400. I made the guy a generous offer and he declined, sending me links to eBay listings to justify his price. The listings were all retailers/details, some of the guitars were new and most had later, better specs.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    Kylef said:
    I never usually notice these things, but I got the fright of my life when I saw how much it costs for a Johnny Marr Jaguar now. £1489 to £1919 in less than 2 years. 

I know! I want one as well. I have a Sherwood Green from Andertons for around £1500 2 years back but it went straight back - really bad QC...like terrible!

I said 'can I have another' and they said their QC team said it was ok....err....so massive round swirls from the paint from the case is normal on a new guitar? Normal to have barely any access to the truss rod due to the alignment of the pickguard, normal for the nitro to be shrinking around the neck pocket straight away, normal to basically feel rushed and much lower quality than a few MIMs I own?

They suggested I drove down. From Newcastle. Even now in Manc I'd not drive that far unless it was guaranteed to be worth it.

£1919 is a RIDICULOUS price.

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
    Kylef said:
    I never usually notice these things, but I got the fright of my life when I saw how much it costs for a Johnny Marr Jaguar now. £1489 to £1919 in less than 2 years. 
    I've been looking at these and noticed some available around £1600-£1700 but most at the new price of £1919... in the US they are $1799, even on the Fender website, which is £1377...
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Blame Philip Hammond
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
    Kylef said:

I know! I want one as well. I have a Sherwood Green from Andertons for around £1500 2 years back but it went straight back - really bad QC...like terrible!

I said 'can I have another' and they said their QC team said it was ok....err....so massive round swirls from the paint from the case is normal on a new guitar? Normal to have barely any access to the truss rod due to the alignment of the pickguard, normal for the nitro to be shrinking around the neck pocket straight away, normal to basically feel rushed and much lower quality than a few MIMs I own?

They suggested I drove down. From Newcastle. Even now in Manc I'd not drive that far unless it was guaranteed to be worth it.

£1919 is a RIDICULOUS price.

Its hard to see where it has come from, even with the exchange rates. You can see the list on  both UK and US Fender websites... UK £1,999 and US $1,799. I don't think I have seen such a gap before... Unless it's £600 for a CITES certificate?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    edited July 2017
    roberty said:
    There is a very simple connection between our currency being devalued by 20% and an increase in the cost of things, it's just a fact.
    Firstly, currency is not devalued by 20%.  It was $1.44 (or thereabouts) before the referendum and $1.306 as I write this.  That's around 10%.  At it's lowest point the pound was down about 15%.

Second, the fall in the pound is not purely down to Brexit.  (For about the fifth time - as we keep having the same thread over and over) here's a link from Dec 2015 saying that the pound was very overvalued and due a big fall:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/currency/12065157/Pound-is-most-overvalued-currency-in-the-world-analysts-claim.html

Before the referendum was even announced, and when everyone thought that it would be an easy remain win so no-one was pricing that into the valuation, that article was saying that Deutshce Bank believed the pound could fall as low as $1.15 in 2017.

Third, while some of the increase is down to the changing currency values (whatever their cause), the price increases are far bigger than that.  The figures @Kylef gave on a Johnny Marr Jaguar are 29% over 2 years.  Also, as @guitars4you pointed out, they are going up across the board on places like Thomann as well.

As others have said, we probably ought to keep the politics in speaker's corner, but given that you, and others, have been blaming it all on Brexit then I thought I should set the record straight.

To summarise, guitar prices are rising, and it's not all down to currency changes, and the bit that is down to currency changes is not all down to Brexit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    crunchman said:
    <snip>
    To summarise, guitar prices are rising, and it's not all down to currency changes, and the bit that is down to currency changes is not all down to Brexit.
    This. It's a complex, interdependent world out there. 
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I think it's all down to Chappers and quiff! 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    edited July 2017
    crunchman said:
    <snip>
    This. It's a complex, interdependent world out there. 
    While no-one can dispute that the sentence is true, it seems to conceal more than it reveals. 

The argument that the £ was overvalued pre Brexit is tendentious.  An opinion piece in the Telegraph, or even a Deutsche Bank forecast, does not represent fact. 

The market is fallible, but market price is a better reflection of informed opinion than any single opinion piece or bank forecast. There is a tautological element to this: an argument that a currency is overvalued that is compelling enough to convince informed opinion would correct that overvaluation as soon as it was published.  That's how markets work.  The Deutsche Bank may have said the pound was overvalued, informed opinion in general wasn't convinced.

There was a large devaluation following Brexit.  I've read a reasonable number of think pieces claiming that less of this devaluation derives from Brexit than is commonly supposed.  Every single one of them, without exception, was clearly the work of a writer with a partisan political agenda.  They started with an opinion and looked for a rationalisation to support it.

Of course some remainers do the same.  They are no harder to spot and discount.  But economists - and they are not that hard to find - who are trying to make sense of the world without trying to make everything fit a political agenda are practically unanimous that by far the most important reason for the post Brexit devaluation is Brexit itself. 

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom