GAS Help, Marshall Code 25

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11741
Now £145 on Amazon, the Marshall Code 25.

I have lots of little amps, they keep tempting me when cheap, so would probably sell my Blackstar Core 10, leaving me with a Core 20, the Katana and the Code 25 in various rooms of my house.

But this seems a bargain to me, and a bit of a contrast to my Boss Katana 50.

Should I forget it, and put it in a fund for my dream guitar, or splash out the cash?

Help my deliberations please all :)
You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I have one.

I sold my Katana 50 to buy one.
    I don't regret it one bit.
    £145 is a bargain and I'd be getting a second one if I had the cash.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11741
    Alnico said:
    I have one.

That's a strong endorsement, thanks :)
    Alnico said:
    I have one.

That's a strong endorsement, thanks :)
    For home use it's brilliant. It surprised me when it came out of the box as it's quite a bit smaller than a katana.
    It's bloody loud at home though and when you've got the volume to use at home and that many amps to use, it just makes a lot of sense.
    The amp models are very good and it's got more depth than the plug-n-play Katana.
    The mobile phone app and the Bluetooth and very good too, you don't have to bend down to the amp to change stuff around. I'll be honest I love that aspect of it.

I can't see it being used on a gig whereas the Katana would be but maybe two of these in Stereo would cope?
    I actually am buying the second one fairly soon to try the stereo thing from my GT100 so I'll report on that when it happens.

For now though, I'd buy it.
    If you don't like it Amazon will let you return it so it's a bit of a no-brainer.
    Spend one hour with it and I think you'll like it.

Oh and don't go by the factory presets.........build a few of your own before you judge it or tweak some of theirs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I've seen a few reviews suggesting problems with the app since people upgraded their phones to Android 7, does anyone have this working on their Android phone since the update?
    I've seen a few reviews suggesting problems with the app since people upgraded their phones to Android 7, does anyone have this working on their Android phone since the update?
    Works fine on mine!
    I'm not sure what android my phone has but I update it whenever the phone says I need to so I'm guessing it's the latest version.
    Alnico said:
    Works fine on mine!
    I'm not sure what android my phone has but I update it whenever the phone says I need to so I'm guessing it's the latest version.
    Cool thanks dude
    One thing to note about the CODE.

There is a PC editor available through the Marshall website but it's NOT as polished as the BOSS Tone Studio and so the CODE amps rely on the mobile phone app much more than people (Including me before today) realise.

It's not that it makes life impossible and I've got the Marshall editor on my laptop, it's ok but it's not AMAZING like the BOSS stuff is so it's worth remembering that any 'Off Amp' control is best done from the gateway app on your phone.
    Obviously, a tablet will work with the gateway app and to be honest I can see me getting a cheap tablet that has Bluetooth just to do that with as my phone screen isn't massive.

As an app, Gateway is a Very Good one and it makes using the CODE amp easy and enjoyable.

The amp will connect to the PC through USB as an interface to any DAW and that's cool because it's just an input source but if you're coming from a BOSS Katana to this amp, be prepared to feel like the PC editor isn't as good.
    It's OK and it does work but it's not as polished as the BOSS.

There's some blurb about it on the Marshall website saying it's open source etc but I think as time goes on, Marshall will have to look at developing it further.
    I'd be surprised if they don't given the success of the CODE range this year.
    Maybe @TTBZ can shed a little more light on this?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    The CODE Editor wasn't written by Marshall. It was written by an independent CODE owner. The Marshall Tools web site which hosts it is nothing to do with Marshall either in spite it "borrowing" a lot of their artwork.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    Plectrum said:
    The CODE Editor wasn't written by Marshall. It was written by an independent CODE owner. The Marshall Tools web site which hosts it is nothing to do with Marshall either in spite it "borrowing" a lot of their artwork.
    That's the Blurb I didn't understand properly so thanks for that.

Yeah,.........^ What he said !

I'm hoping that Marshall will develop a PC Editor but that said, the gateway app is VERY good.

Thanks @Plectrum ;
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    edited July 2017
    Alnico said:
    There's some blurb about it on the Marshall website saying it's open source etc but I think as time goes on, Marshall will have to look at developing it further.
    No idea tbh! I think the my marshall website is due an overhaul but I don't see why a pc editor is needed really, the app is fine for me. Would be nice if it could connect to the phone via USB rather than Bluetooth though.

The amp doesn't rely on the app since its just a remote control in preset mode, but it does make life easier.
    TTBZ said:
    Alnico said:
    No idea tbh! I think the my marshall website is due an overhaul but I don't see why a pc editor is needed really, the app is fine for me. Would be nice if it could connect to the phone via USB rather than Bluetooth though.

The amp doesn't rely on the app since its just a remote control in preset mode, but it does make life easier.
    Yeah, I suppose you're right it doesn't *need* a PC editor.
    I agree that USB to the phone would be a good addition.

I am going to look into the tablet idea though. SOme Tablets can go up to 11" screens and that would make the app more of a joy than it already is to use.

To eBay I think...........
    LOL
    Thanks for the help guys, I'm still umming and ahhing as I've had an expensive month!

I've also got a Boss GT-8 pedal I brought years ago, which seems to have massive potential, according to help I've received with it here, I need to learn my way around that.

Should tell myself, practise don't buy gear, practise don't buy gear, especially with the jam coming up.

Actually having one of those evenings where I pick up a guitar and can't even play simple things right, even my wife said just put it down until tomorrow!

If only playing well was as easy as buying gear :)
    Alnico said:
    TTBZ said:
    Alnico said:

Yeah, I suppose you're right it doesn't *need* a PC editor.
    I agree that USB to the phone would be a good addition.

I am going to look into the tablet idea though. SOme Tablets can go up to 11" screens and that would make the app more of a joy than it already is to use.

To eBay I think...........
    LOL
    Damn shame Tesco stopped making Hudl tablets, the Hudl 2 was an excellent bit of kit for a tiny amount of money.
    ^ Yeah I agree !

There's a few cheaper ones around but the Huddle was a known good one. These are maybe cheap for a reason on eBay.
    We'll see I suppose.

I *might* get one secondhand for this,  since it's *just* for using with the amp.
    Alnico said:
    ^ Yeah I agree !

There's a few cheaper ones around but the Huddle was a known good one. These are maybe cheap for a reason on eBay.
    We'll see I suppose.

I *might* get one secondhand for this,  since it's *just* for using with the amp.
    I just checked and sadly the Marshall Gateway app isn't in Amazon's app store, which rules out their (excellent) cheap tablets.
    Alnico said:
    ^ Yeah I agree !

We'll see I suppose.

I just checked and sadly the Marshall Gateway app isn't in Amazon's app store, which rules out their (excellent) cheap tablets.
    Damn it.
    That was going to be my next thing to look at.

Thanks for looking man.
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Alnico said:
    ^ Yeah I agree !

We'll see I suppose.

I've had success running Gateway on a cheap tablet bought off Ebay.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    Argos have the Lenovo Tab for £59.99 for the 7", £89.99 for the 8" and £104 for the 10".
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2383
    I've got the CODE 50, and absolutely love it. For the price, you cannot beat it - and it's loud enough to gig with as well.

One thing I would say is that it is VERY treble-heavy - on all my presets, I have the treble around 2.5, and the presence at 0 from memory.

Check out the CODE thread that's going on in the forum (plus, obligatory picture of Nita Strauss from the CODE clinic I went to).
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4132
    Alnico said:
    ^ Yeah I agree !

We'll see I suppose.

Takes five minutes (and nothing technical) to install the Google Play store on Amazon tablets. I bought a Fire HD 8 tablet on Prime Day for £50. Took me a few minutes to get the regular Google Play Store on there and install Google's own launcher so I don't have to see any of Amazon's front end.