Nobels ODR-1

What's Hot
cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
Ahhhh, I get it now.
Who wants to buy a few overdrive pedals?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    I've never used anything else since getting mine.
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    edited July 2017
    Grunfeld said:
    I've never used anything else since getting mine.
    I can see why. What a great pedal.
    I set it round about where I thought I might like it, 6 6 6 as always, and an hour later I thought it might need a tad more top end, so 6 8 6. The most instantly gratifying OD I've used, and like most of us I have owned  few. I'm very impressed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I was intrigued when Joe got these in, what's a comparable OD tonally?
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    edited July 2017
    I liked them more when they were £40  B
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    VJIves said:
    Hmmm, tricky to answer as I'm sure it's player and guitar dependant. It feels tubescreamerish but doesn't really sound it, less mid range hump and more gain available, so great as a stand alone sound as opposed to a 'hit the front end' OD. 
    If you imagine a really easy to play OD sound that isn't actually that distorted then you are about there. @Grunfeld has more time with one than me and may be able to describe it better. Funnily enough, the pedal I own that sounds closest is the humble Blackstar LT Drive. Once again I stress that it's my rig with my hands and my guitars with my choice of pickups.
    cbilly22 said:
    VJIves said:
    Hmmm, tricky to answer as I'm sure it's player and guitar dependant. It feels tubescreamerish but doesn't really sound it, less mid range hump and more gain available, so great as a stand alone sound as opposed to a 'hit the front end' OD. 
    If you imagine a really easy to play OD sound that isn't actually that distorted then you are about there. @Grunfeld has more time with one than me and may be able to describe it better. Funnily enough, the pedal I own that sounds closest is the humble Blackstar LT Drive. Once again I stress that it's my rig with my hands and my guitars with my choice of pickups.
    Actually, balls to all that. Check out pretty much any Tim Pierce video on youtube. Not only does he love the ODR-1, he is by far and away the most useful youtube guitar bod out there...and his list of credits on Allmusic is jaw dropping.
    tone1 said:
    I liked them more when they were £40  B
    I wish I knew about them then.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    VJIves said:
    ...what's a comparable OD tonally?
    Definitely not in TS territory.  Less humpy.
    The thing I really like about it is the amount of usable sounds in it from low to quite high gain -- and it's the way the Spectrum control works with the Drive -- it's not like a regular tone control (even though that's obviously what it's sort of doing).
    But the absolute #1 thing is that it nails a particular sound that I love and as a few reviews point out, it's when the Drive and Spectrum are just a little over half way, basically 5-7 for each of them. 
    I love that sound.  If that was all this pedal did I'd still buy it.
    Grunfeld said:
    VJIves said:

Dunno, I get the TS comparison but agree that it doesn't have that pronounced mid range thing going on. Less dependant on boosting the amp or the type of amp, more of a stand alone, leave on pedal.
    cbilly22 said:
    Grunfeld said:
    VJIves said:

Dunno, I get the TS comparison but agree that it doesn't have that pronounced mid range thing going on. Less dependant on boosting the amp or the type of amp, more of a stand alone, leave on pedal.
    Either way, bloody good and highly recommended.
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    There's an ODR-S for £40 on Gumtree, how does that compare?
  • An alternative to this is the not-very-common visual sound open road overdrive - it's based on a similar circuit I think, and is very good. When they crop up they don't usually fetch a lot of money. 

The visual sound xo has one in too. In both cases, it is modified so not identical. 

Congrats on the super cool pedal! 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    I have a rehoused open road on my small board great full fat drive. Put a ts alike in front for leads and you're set, exactly the XO XS layout 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    The ODR-1 is a great pedal. Shame there's such a price hike on it. This, along with some Mooer stuff and the Bad Monkey were superb value for money and decent pedals.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2328
    You can dial it in to be sort of tubescreamery, though. To my ears, that's what the spectrum control does- it dials in (or out) the mids and dials in (or out) the treble and bass, so you can have something tubescreamery or something with a flatter EQ. It's a very good pedal, and I can sort of see (especially back when first released when there were few other non-tubescreamer options) why it has such a rep, but I think it's a bit over-rated, too- if I want the tubescreamer thing, I'd rather have a tubescreamer (or clone) or a Boss SD1, and if I want something more transparent, I'd rather have a timmy (or clone) or soul food or similar. Even if I wanted it all in the one pedal, I'd rather have a Digitech/Hardwire Tube Overdrive, lol.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Expensive compared to the new price of the SD-1 and you can get those modded to within an inch of their lives.
    I only paid 45 quid so I'm not feeling the price hike pinch. Just seen they are over 80 on Andertons and the like.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    Dave_Mc said:
    You can dial it in to be sort of tubescreamery, though. To my ears, that's what the spectrum control does- it dials in (or out) the mids and dials in (or out) the treble and bass, so you can have something tubescreamery or something with a flatter EQ. It's a very good pedal, and I can sort of see (especially back when first released when there were few other non-tubescreamer options) why it has such a rep, but I think it's a bit over-rated, too- if I want the tubescreamer thing, I'd rather have a tubescreamer (or clone) or a Boss SD1, and if I want something more transparent, I'd rather have a timmy (or clone) or soul food or similar. Even if I wanted it all in the one pedal, I'd rather have a Digitech/Hardwire Tube Overdrive, lol.
    Funny that, I think it's far better than any of those pedals especially with single coils. Switch to it from an sd-1 and it sounds like you've changed to a closed back 4x12. You can add lows to a Timmy but it doesn't add any extra mojo or complexity unfortunately, just grit.
  • My favourite overdrive. Well worth twice the price it costs now
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    You guys are giving me GAS for one of theses....could they really be betterer than teh awesomeness that is the Dano transparent overdrive (mark  1 version) ?