Hi, my name is Jack, and I have a problem...

What's Hot

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Still healthier than doing horse and if you say you're happy with it, then so be it. Thrill of the chase and all that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Alnico said:
    You're not the only one man.

For me, it's the £400-600 bracket, especially Ibanez, LTD and similar.

I've just put a deposit on a 7 string which is the Gemini twin to my 6 string Iron Label and I get that on August 9th.
    I've already seen the Ibanez I'm buying AFTER that............that's like over 4 weeks away and I've already mentally spent the money.
    I've got 5 electrics, 6 if you include the new 7 string and I'm still looking at more 'RG's' even though I'll own two soon and despite my Strat being an American Pro, I still want another Strat just to fit the EMG Gilmour loaded scratchplate into!

It never ends.

I've just given up fighting it now and admitted that I'm addicted to having lots of guitars.
    I've got slightly the same thing with Ibanez; they're just so well made. Got a few of the high end ones, which are definitely better in the smaller details/feel, but honestly the mid-range ones do everything just as well. I can't help buying the slightly odd ones they bring out - got the 29 fret one, and the one with a Korg pad built into it, and next up will be the Paul Gilbert mini guitar when it's out over here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    God, Ibanez really do knock it out of the park for value for money.

Just look at THIS and then look at the price.
    For what it is it's a stunning amount of guitar for the money!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Alnico said:

What are the lower end ones like?

There are some beautiful examples I've seen with flame finishes etc, keep meaning to try some.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    Alnico said:

What are the lower end ones like?

There are some beautiful examples I've seen with flame finishes etc, keep meaning to try some.
    Generally, they're all good.
    The Gio range is amazing for budget guitars and the base level RG and S range are really stunning value for money. They all come with the usual stuff like the Nut isn't cut deep enough and it will need a full set up but even then, an extra £60-70 isn't unthinkable and when it's done you've got a guitar that's easily capable of going straight on stage or even on tour and working flawlessly.

I've never been so impressed with a manufacturer as I am with Ibanez.
    Alnico said:

they're great. I got one of the Jake Bowen signature models for just over 700; even thought that's a bit more expensive the quality is amazing for the money.

Really regretting not snapping up a Universe on eBay for £790 a few days ago - the black one with white binding and that eye hologram thing below the trem. Mint condition too :(
    Alnico said:

they're great. I got one of the Jake Bowen signature models for just over 700; even thought that's a bit more expensive the quality is amazing for the money.

Really regretting not snapping up a Universe on eBay for £790 a few days ago - the black one with white binding and that eye hologram thing below the trem. Mint condition too :(
    I saw that!
    It was in Hemel I think.
    Yes it was a great price.

Was it a late 90's model, I seem to remember from the very genuine sellers description?
    Alnico said:
    Alnico said:

I saw that!
    It was in Hemel I think.

Was it a late 90's model, I seem to remember from the very genuine sellers description?
    yep, that's the one! It was in Newport Pagnell, I got to the point of looking at the journey. Couldn't quite justify getting another one though.

I've seen some new ones they've got coming out that look really nice; can't remember where I saw it (maybe around last NAMM time?), but they had a model with a plainish wood headstock, non-locking trem etc that looked a bit more on the Suhr/Tom Anderson-y side of things. I really want an S model at some point too.
    Alnico said:
    Alnico said:

I saw that!
    It was in Hemel I think.

yep, that's the one! It was in Newport Pagnell, I got to the point of looking at the journey. Couldn't quite justify getting another one though.

I've seen some new ones they've got coming out that look really nice; can't remember where I saw it (maybe around last NAMM time?), but they had a model with a plainish wood headstock, non-locking trem etc that looked a bit more on the Suhr/Tom Anderson-y side of things. I really want an S model at some point too.
    Yeah, someone got a very nice Universe from that advert.
    That's Pre-Team J Craft isn't it?
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    musicman100 said:
    slacker said:
    I personally dont see the point in buying lots of cheapies. However it's your money and as long as you pay bills and support any dependents, it's not a problem. The only problem is if you make it a problem. I've got 4 electrics, 3 basses and an acoustic. Most of those are around the £1k mark and that's my limit. 

So IMHO keep buying them, but if you really want a high end guitar then buying cheapies wont make you happy. 

TBH I would say these days a 400 is probably just st as good as a 1000 guitar
    You are correct because I my guitars were 1k 10 years ago and I have money in the bank I won't spend. Maybe I need to start looking at cheaper guitars.
    Alnico said:
    yeah, I think so. Can't complain really, I got very lucky and got my UVMC for £500 a few years ago! 

I'm just down the road from World Guitars, and they've got Jeff's old Jem collection hanging from the ceiling, which is very cool. 
    Alnico said:
    yeah, I think so. Can't complain really, I got very lucky and got my UVMC for £500 a few years ago! 

I'm just down the road from World Guitars, and they've got Jeff's old Jem collection hanging from the ceiling, which is very cool. 
    @ennspek keeps threatening me with a trip to world guitars.
    I must remind him to put a knife to my throat soon and do that.

I knew Jeff from old days and I never then got the chance to see world guitars and still never have. I was quite sad when he died so yes it would be lovely to see his Jem collection.

I think next year I'm going to try to get a Jem.
    I've always fancied the Sea Foam Green.
    I'd have to have a sustainer installed though. It wouldn't be the same without one! 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I prefer one great guitar to a dozen average guitars. Trouble is, I had my one great guitar nicked and I can't afford to buy another one.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3448
    Two kids and a private rent, I cant afford a pot to piss in, never mind a cheap guitar.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    did you also pretend to be in a band with your sister?

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I prefer one great guitar to a dozen average guitars. Trouble is, I had my one great guitar nicked and I can't afford to buy another one.
    Yeah quality over quantity as they say!

Still wouldn't' mind another strat though....lol
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Genuinely what are people's thoughts on guitar costs. If you include the second hand market do you think you get a much higher class (for want of a better term) when you up your budget from £650 to £1000? 

Other than Gibson LP's, 335's and Fender custom shops you seem to be able to get a hell of a lot for a £1000 budget. 

Side note, what do you think is the best Strat you can buy for under £1000?
    shaunm said:
    Genuinely what are people's thoughts on guitar costs. If you include the second hand market do you think you get a much higher class (for want of a better term) when you up your budget from £650 to £1000? 

Other than Gibson LP's, 335's and Fender custom shops you seem to be able to get a hell of a lot for a £1000 budget. 

I think the £400 - £600 bracket is good enough if you shop around for deals, to get classy guitars without going into the £650 - £1,000 bracket BUT if you do, then yes I think you definitely do and especially if you include used.
    In the last week, I've seen three Ibanez Prestige RG models all go for between £500 - £600 and they're a £1,200 guitar new!
    A Sea Foam Jem will typically sell used for around £750-£800 and you can *just* get a used Jem or even a USA Jackson for around £1,000.

The best Sub £1k Strat?
    Well, I own an American Pro and it's the best Strat I've ever played so it's subjective. If you see a Pro under a grand then grab it in my opinion but if Vintage styled is your thing, you should see the AVRI at that price.
    There's loads to choose from in the £650 - £1,000 bracket and even more so used.

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Alnico said:
    shaunm said:

I think the £400 - £600 bracket is good enough if you shop around for deals, to get classy guitars without going into the £650 - £1,000 bracket BUT if you do, then yes I think you definitely do and especially if you include used.
    In the last week, I've seen three Ibanez Prestige RG models all go for between £500 - £600 and they're a £1,200 guitar new!
    A Sea Foam Jem will typically sell used for around £750-£800 and you can *just* get a used Jem or even a USA Jackson for around £1,000.

The best Sub £1k Strat?
    Well, I own an American Pro and it's the best Strat I've ever played so it's subjective. If you see a Pro under a grand then grab it in my opinion but if Vintage styled is your thing, you should see the AVRI at that price.
    There's loads to choose from in the £650 - £1,000 bracket and even more so used.

Thanks @Alnico I will almost always buy used. I'm too Yorkshire to take the hit.
    shaunm said:
    Alnico said:
    shaunm said:

The best Sub £1k Strat?

Thanks @Alnico I will almost always buy used. I'm too Yorkshire to take the hit.
    I know what you mean and I do sometimes too but this year I made a solid promise to only buy guitars that I know I'll keep and so far I'm 4 electrics in and I love them all, each for what they are and won't sell them. I own 6 electrics but two of them were gifts which make them even more special. I'm really quite proud of myself this year, I mean I genuinely love each guitar on its own merits and I haven't made any mistakes with any one of them so far. On that basis, they were all new but I do hang out for end of line deals and 3 of the 4 I've bought were discontinued, end of line stock clearance deals which really blasted the new prices.

LTD - EC-401 Satin Grey Metallic - Down from £775 to £550
    Ibanez RGIR20E - Down from £699 to £449
    Ibanez RGIR27E - Down from £749 to 499

The Gretsch Streamliner G2420 was £380 which is an absolute bargain anyway for such a well made hollow body/semi.

There's something really satisfying about getting those deals and getting a guitar which has gone out of production, in my mind it makes it a bit more unique to me.