Tone Rider Pickups

What's Hot
Hi has anybody had any experience of these pickups, specifically fro the Telecasters, the maker seems to have good reviews and thaey looked to be marketed through niche market guitar sites and boutique style accessory and pedal stores.

Dusty
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've got the city limits set in my Mexican strat, a big improvement over the stock ones. 
  • I have a set of the Hot Classics in a mongrel tele-style guitar and I couldn't be happier with them.

I initially took a punt on a Tonerider pickup for my Squier Precision bass and I was impressed enough with that to give a tele set a go.

I can't fault them for build quality or sound.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I've had quite a few sets now and have prefered their humbuckers to the single coils I tried.  The Alnico II classic humbuckers were excellent, I had them in an epi dot which I ended up selling and miss terribly though in reality it's the pickups I miss more than the guitar.  The classic blues strat pickups I had were ok though I prefer the oil citys which replaced them.  Loved the bridge on the tele set I had and really didn't like the neck at all.  Quality wise they have all been excellent and ultimately very good value for money.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I also have city limits in a Mex Strat, and think they sound great.
  • Im really torn , Oil City is the way I want to go but a Son in college a thirteen year old in school and £100 quids with of pickups not including installation and all the other bits i might need,Tonerider looks good and the sound clips from various sources  also sound good.
    Thanks for the feedback
    Dusty
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I like my Tonerider neck p90
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• matonematone Frets: 211
    Had a Vintage Plus set in two Teles and have a Hot Classic in the bridge of one,they`re all very good pickups !
    I`ve had the opportunity to a/b them with both 50`s and 60`s vintage stuff and some boutique pu`s and they`re not found lacking.
    Nicely put together and really competitively priced,give them a try !
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 682
     I had a AlnII set in my Ravelle and they were bloody superb.

Need to sell them actually
  • dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    I've got a Vintage Plus in the bridge position of one of my Teles. I could be persuaded to sell it; if you're interested PM me and I'll think about a price
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2320
    Had a set of the blues ones in my strat. Thought they were ok but nothing amazing. Put a set of hot classics in my tele and prefer them to the bare knuckle brown sugars I had in there.
  • Thanks everybody fro your responses, really pleased with the feedback

Dusty
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    A bit late to this post.  I've got the tonerider hot classics in my home built tele and they're great pickups IMHO.
  • I think that seals the fate of my first purchase in modding my Telecaster

Dusty
  • Hi 
    A bit late to the party, on my partscaster I tried a set of vintage Strat Toneriders mostly out of  and speed as it saved getting the winder out of storage ordering wire etc etc as I have not bothered diy winding since i moved 5 years ago. 

I tried with them and to be honest they are not the end of the world is a Tone rider factory cnc pickup that much better than a fender cnc factory pickup, but with a hand wound pickup like OCP yes it costs more (although OCP seem v.good price for a handjob)  but proper handwinding is worth saving for IMHO.

I dont yet own a set of OCP but think a set will be going on the next build as I hear such good things around here. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited February 2014
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• fuentefuente Frets: 1
    Maybe a bit late leaving a comment on this one, but I'd go with the oil city's there the real deal!! With out goin into to much detail toneriders are a wolf in sheeps clothing !
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    OEM Toneriders are used in the Squier Classic Vibe series.

They are good for the money, but Oil City are a step up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixote;192355" said:

Those classic vibes are good sounding guitars, didn't realise it was toneriders.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    although OCP seem v.good price for a handjob

I heard that you can't beat @theguitarweasel for a "happy finish"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    monquixote;192355" said:

Those classic vibes are good sounding guitars, didn't realise it was toneriders.
    Yes, they are very good. I had one of their Teles at one point. 

It's not official, but it's been proved before with matching part numbers and factory identifiers etc and I think Tonerider will acknowledge it, but not on the record.