Matt Schofield on That Pedal Show

What's Hot
BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
Worth a look......

No Darling....I've had that ages.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I've watched about half of it so far ( it's over an hour). The TSPs have been poor lately but ( some minor irritations aside) this seems to be a step up. I'm sure Matt's blues rock stylings won't be to everyone's taste but he has some interesting stuff to say. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited July 2017
    No doubt he's a decent player - but they really fawn over him in this, don't they?

If I'm honest, I found it rather awkward - he seems a very nice bloke - being treated like the messiah looks like something which doesn't come naturally to him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    No doubt he's a decent player - but they really fawn over him in this, don't they?

If I'm honest, I found it rather awkward - he seems a very nice bloke - being treated like the messiah looks like something which doesn't come naturally to him.
    They just seem to do that to all their guests and it's a bit embarrassing. If you ignore the half of the screen Mick and Dan are on and just watch Matt it's much better. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    The fawning and simpering is all too much. I can't ever watch more than about 2 minutes of TPS.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660

I watched it last night. He is a nice bloke, very approachable. I've chatted to him a couple of times in the past at gigs but I agree the way they fawn over him is just a bit annoying. It's a shame because there are a few things he shares which are quite useful. particularly his use of delay/reverb and using a pedal to restore top end when you turn the guitars volume down for cleaner sounds.
    I would say he's a bit more than a decent player though.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14185
    tFB Trader
     I enjoyed that - I'm a Matt fan - love that jazz side of blues etc - amazing he pretty much plays around major/minor pentatonics as I do, but he sounds far far better - maybe his guitar has more frets and notes than mine !!!!!!!!!! - Nice guy as well - good show but could have achieved same in 30 mins or less with less hero worshiping 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    I really like how Dan & Mick come across. Very welcoming to guests which puts people at ease, clearly don't take themselves to seriously either but both know their onions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    edited July 2017
    good show but could have achieved same in 30 mins or less with less hero worshiping 
    Agreed.  Matt is a tasteful player and comes across as a nice guy.
    I think Mick is on the right.

No Darling....I've had that ages.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783

'Decent'?
    He's one of the best players on the planet IMHO.
    ... but yeah they did rather crawl up his bum.
    Better than kicking him in the nuts and spitting on him, I guess.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14185
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:

... but yeah they did rather crawl up his bum.

I suppose it is not easy to interview such a guy without worshiping him to much - I dare say most of us would not be coming across any different - Especially in such a situation with live demos etc, so we can see and hear what makes him so special and wondering why we can't achieve the same
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    I thought his "setting up the amp" thing was useful definitely. I agree that Matt's not so comfortable with the hero worship thing. It did show that his approach only fully works when there's something to reference his note choices against. He had a Klon on the board when I saw him last. I really love his stuff.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1596
    I agree with @mudslide73 about the amp and pedal settings being interesting. I'm going to give it a try tonight to see how I get on.

i thought it was a great episode and I think Mick and Dan do a great job. Let's face it, they are guitar geeks (like us) and they are set getting effectively a tutorial from one of the finest blues players on the planet. If fawn too.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Interesting.
     They have to react and completely bum him, its what TV is all about. I bet if i went on there they'd totally bum me too. I bet Dan would actually cry about my playing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone here  actually met Dan or Mick?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    timmysoft said:
    Interesting.
     They have to react and completely bum him, its what TV is all about. I bet if i went on there they'd totally bum me too. I bet Dan would actually cry about my playing.
    What a horrible thought, gang-banged by Dan & Mick!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I'd never heard of him so I watched a few of his performances on YouTube. He's certainly a good player but nothing exceptional. It's all a bit too polite for my tastes.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited July 2017
    Plectrum said:
    I'd never heard of him so I watched a few of his performances on YouTube. He's certainly a good player but nothing exceptional. It's all a bit too polite for my tastes.
    I don't think we saw some of his "Robben Ford-type" stuff, which is what I would term "outside playing" but Matt doesn't and his really strong chordal and rhythm work.

There's more to his playing than what we saw here
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Kebabkid said:
    Plectrum said:
    I don't think we saw some his "Robber Ford-type" stuff, which is what I would term "outside playing" but Matt doesn't and his really strong chordal and rhythm work.

There's more to his playing than what we saw here

Had I known about the Robben Ford bore-alike stuff I'd have marked him down substantially!
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1596
    I've just tried his method of setting up amps and I have to say it's fantastic. Really good clear tone on my Supersonic.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
     I enjoyed that - I'm a Matt fan - love that jazz side of blues etc - amazing he pretty much plays around major/minor pentatonics as I do, but he sounds far far better - maybe his guitar has more frets and notes than mine !!!!!!!!!! - Nice guy as well - good show but could have achieved same in 30 mins or less with less hero worshiping 
    Im sure you don't remember, but I popped by your shop June 2013 with the good lady, on the way to watching Joe Satriani with Matt Schofield in support, doing his organ trio. 

We had a nice chat about about how much you prefer him to Satch and tried to give me an idea of how he plays, Bluesier than Robben Ford, jazzier than SRV. 

Bang on the money, we really enjoyed his set. 

Very very nearly came back to try/buy a green Eggle Berlin too......
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.