Matt Schofield on That Pedal Show

What's Hot

Comments

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105

Sassafras said:
    timmysoft said:
    Interesting.
     They have to react and completely bum him, its what TV is all about. I bet if i went on there they'd totally bum me too. I bet Dan would actually cry about my playing.
    What a horrible thought, gang-banged by Dan & Mick!
    Yeah the Timmysoft filling in that sandwich is mentally horrific. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962

Sassafras said:
    timmysoft said:
    Interesting.
     They have to react and completely bum him, its what TV is all about. I bet if i went on there they'd totally bum me too. I bet Dan would actually cry about my playing.
    I'm an absolute babe. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    timmysoft said:

Sassafras said:
    timmysoft said:
    Interesting.
    I'm an absolute babe. 
    Fair point, I still think about that afternoon in that Sainsbury's Carpark. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    timmysoft said:

Sassafras said:
    timmysoft said:
    Interesting.
    I'm an absolute babe. 
    Fair point, I still think about that afternoon in that Sainsbury's Carpark. 
    Going in dry
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Just watched it, that is some juicy Strat bridge pickup tone he gets with his FTT SOV (and his fingers of course!) - all you "can't get a Strat bridge pickup to work" humbucking sledgehammer brigade take note!
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Still watching it now.
    This is some of the most enjoyable Stratocaster blues playing I've heard in a long time. 
    He's totally humble about being an amazing player too.
    Thanks for posting this.
  • If JoBo gets an invite they'll probably gang rape him 

That was embarrassing to watch 
    If JoBo gets an invite they'll probably gang rape him 

That was embarrassing to watch 
    I tried to ignore that aspect of it but you're right, it was.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    I've done a blues class with Matt and he is such a giving guy. Him and Aynsley Lister give much to the guitar community. I have to agree with what's been said above that it does get a bit sycophantic from the TPS guys but maybe I'm just old and can't handle that kind of reverence ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33786
    Plectrum said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Plectrum said:
    I'd never heard of him so I watched a few of his performances on YouTube. He's certainly a good player but nothing exceptional. It's all a bit too polite for my tastes.
    I don't think we saw some his "Robber Ford-type" stuff, which is what I would term "outside playing" but Matt doesn't and his really strong chordal and rhythm work.

There's more to his playing than what we saw here

Had I known about the Robben Ford bore-alike stuff I'd have marked him down substantially!
    Post some of your playing then. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    octatonic said:
    Plectrum said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Plectrum said:
    I'd never heard of him so I watched a few of his performances on YouTube. He's certainly a good player but nothing exceptional. It's all a bit too polite for my tastes.
    I don't think we saw some his "Robber Ford-type" stuff, which is what I would term "outside playing" but Matt doesn't and his really strong chordal and rhythm work.

There's more to his playing than what we saw here

Had I known about the Robben Ford bore-alike stuff I'd have marked him down substantially!
    Post some of your playing then. ;)
    Please god, let's not. Too early on a Sunday for such edginess. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14196
    tFB Trader
     I enjoyed that - I'm a Matt fan - love that jazz side of blues etc - amazing he pretty much plays around major/minor pentatonics as I do, but he sounds far far better - maybe his guitar has more frets and notes than mine !!!!!!!!!! - Nice guy as well - good show but could have achieved same in 30 mins or less with less hero worshiping 
    Im sure you don't remember, but I popped by your shop June 2013 with the good lady, on the way to watching Joe Satriani with Matt Schofield in support, doing his organ trio. 

We had a nice chat about about how much you prefer him to Satch and tried to give me an idea of how he plays, Bluesier than Robben Ford, jazzier than SRV. 

Bang on the money, we really enjoyed his set. 

Very very nearly came back to try/buy a green Eggle Berlin too......
    I think I recall the jist of the visit and chat if not all the details - Interesting contrast between 2 great players albeit different styles but glad you know like Matt - I fully respect Satriani for his technique and what he has done to influence guitar virtuoso playing styles but I just don't enjoy listening to it to much - speak soon
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    Really enjoyed the video. Things I picked up on:

- He makes the blues interesting, and his use of harmony is great
    - He's very humble/his perspective on not competing against other guitarist in terms of ability is refreshing 
    - I need to try out his amp setup technique
    - His bridge pickup + SOV is still my favourite lead tone
    - The Britishness inside me cringed a lot, but actually why the hell cant guitarists be bowled over by the great players of today? It's accepted in sport and pop music etc.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited July 2017
    Really interesting clip of a great player. Lovely tones.

I think I've told this story before (but I'm an old git reminiscing):
    I used to go to a blues jam at the Red Lion in Twickenham years back. There were loads of players of varying ability. One day I was standing around the back of the pub and heard just a few notes and knew instantly that this player stood out as something really special. It was the first time I heard Matt Schofield, a player with that magic touch, tone and feel that Robben Ford has, which goes beyond technique. It's an elusive quality that, it would appear, not everyone appreciates.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7395
    Enjoyed that.

Was interesting to hear him talk about the benefits of the organ trio - I've seen the trio live a couple of times (and also another time when the other 2 played without Matt (Simon Law was on guitar that time) and it was indeed a great sound 
    Red ones are better. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    TimmyO said:
    Enjoyed that.

Was interesting to hear him talk about the benefits of the organ trio - I've seen the trio live a couple of times (and also another time when the other 2 played without Matt (Simon Law was on guitar that time) and it was indeed a great sound 
    I can't remember it word for word but part of Jimmie Vaughan's argument in favour of the organ trio is that the attack on the bass note is less guitar like ( as it would be on a bass guitar) so clashes less with guitar, so you can improvise more freely. Something like that. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jamesjames Frets: 50
    That was an interesting watch. I sat down this morning with a cup of tea, but had to come back to it as I didn't realise it was an hour long. 

I really liked his playing and tone, and found what he said about the types of bands interesting. I played in rock bands when I was younger, playing chords and lead, but since I became a 'musician' rather than a 'guitarist' (just to put terms to it) and joined a Big Band, I really approach the guitar in a different way, thinking a lot more about notes rather than shapes, and also the arrangement. 

The SOV sounded awesome, as did the single echo delay. Cool to see the Thorpys on the wall behind too. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Matt seems like a lovely guy and happy to talk gear.. that always helps. Personally, I didn't hear too much different about his sound compared to other plays with less recognition. But, being a nice guy and willing to chat about life, equipment and tone makes him sound in my book.

I used to LOVE TPS but I've started to avoid these episodes if I'm honest. Having said that, it's easier to watch this than the likes of Anderton/Chapman. 
    I found his amp setting technique quite enlightening.
    That's really useful to remember.

Watched it again for the playing, .......wow it's so natural.
    I'd really like to meet the guy and to Jam with him would be just incredible.
    This has actually rekindled my enjoyment of blues guitar.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5733
    He is absolutely lovely and an utterly mesmerising player to see live. His sound is also always fabulous but I'm not sure I can muster enough interest in pedals to sit through the video.