Delay for Country/Americana ?

What's Hot

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16007
    ^ Yes it's great but the cheap Belcat is equally good ,maybe even better - I have both 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That belcat sounds worth checking out. Isn't there a cheap analogue delay on amazon. Yellow fall or something. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    The Belcat is crazy value - one of the only pedals that has been in every incarnation of my board
    Stop crying, start buying
  • I'd try two things - a half decent analogue delay, like the boss dm2w or the mxr carbon copy, and a digital like the boss dd2. 

I absolutely prefer the dd2 for slapback to any analogue one I've tried despite analogue being more popular for slapback type stuff. You'll only know if you try it though. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 845
    Analogman, sounds incredible and you can switch between a slap back and a longer more ambient delay.

Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253

Albert and Johnny on their toneprints. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    That Johnny Hiland is just so bloody good
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Almost any delay pedal I would have thought
    Its the hard stuff like multi taps and ambient washes  that separate them to me
    for country/Americana it eill
    come down to a choice of whether not you like your repeats to be clearer or a bit darker. A good old boss DD series would do both perfectly adequately 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited July 2017
    Strymon El Capistan can slap like a tarts arse and can be as bright or dark as you like

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Dominic said:
    That Johnny Hiland is just so bloody good
    I thought it was Johnny Vegas.
  • kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
    Wampler faux tape echo would be a good option, tap-tempo with a soft footswitch comes in very handy for dialing in slapback at a moments notice
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic said:
    ^ Yes it's great but the cheap Belcat is equally good ,maybe even better - I have both 
    You've piqued my interest now - I've had the Aquapuss, Carbon Copy (normal and bright), El Cap (twice), Obscura, DL-4, EHX DMB, EHX Hazarai, TC Alter Ego X4 and the Source Audio Nemesis amongst others and the Aquapuss beat them all hands down for alt-country/Americana stuff but I could never justify having a pedal of that £££ on the board just for slapback/short-delays as I also use delays for more ambient/shoegazey/dream-pop kind of stuff.

If there is something comparable to the Aquapuss for that kind of money I feel obliged to take a look...! :)

Only thing is now I'm searching for it the DL-503 looks like it has been discontinued and replaced by the Belcat DL-603 - any idea if this is the same pedal rehashed or a completely different beast? 

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Grunfeld said:
    AlexO said:
    Will check that Boss out, never even considered that a option.
    A Boss DD-7 covers all conventional (as opposed to weird) delay sounds.  It gives you super clean digitals, the analogue sounding option, and a couple of others too.  Plus it's tap tempo -- although you need Boss FS-5U (or any cheaper equivalent) to make tap tempo gigable. 
    Yes - DD-7 is the best delay ever.  
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Grunfeld said:
    AlexO said:
    A Boss DD-7 covers all conventional (as opposed to weird) delay sounds.  It gives you super clean digitals, the analogue sounding option, and a couple of others too.  Plus it's tap tempo -- although you need Boss FS-5U (or any cheaper equivalent) to make tap tempo gigable. 
    I've been recording over the last few days and needed to add a longish delay to a lead part. The DD-7 was the right tool for the job....
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    edited July 2017
    I use an El Capistan for this, also into a 65 Princeton reissue, and much as I'm sometimes tempted to stray to other delay pedals, it's pretty much unbeatable, to me. Short and a long delay via favourite switch, really nice modulation, oscillation on demand via the tap tempo switch, reverb too if you want it, can do dark or bright or anything in between, can do Lo Fi Junky type stuff with the tape crinkle and shortest delay time, plus a lo fi looper, and it just sounds great. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Dominic said:
    You've piqued my interest now - I've had the Aquapuss, Carbon Copy (normal and bright), El Cap (twice), Obscura, DL-4, EHX DMB, EHX Hazarai, TC Alter Ego X4 and the Source Audio Nemesis amongst others and the Aquapuss beat them all hands down for alt-country/Americana stuff but I could never justify having a pedal of that £££ on the board just for slapback/short-delays as I also use delays for more ambient/shoegazey/dream-pop kind of stuff.

If there is something comparable to the Aquapuss for that kind of money I feel obliged to take a look...! :)

Only thing is now I'm searching for it the DL-503 looks like it has been discontinued and replaced by the Belcat DL-603 - any idea if this is the same pedal rehashed or a completely different beast? 

Sorry don't know
    try gear 4 music online -they had some older order stock of the 503
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Grunfeld said:
    AlexO said:
    How lucky that I have one for sale in the classifieds. Yes, it is exceedingly good. Most dependable delay I've ever used (I just fancy a change because I'm a glutton for punishment).
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 593
    Two on my board are the el cap and the Belcat 503. Love the Belcat for warm fat slap back
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1083
    Cheers for all the comments chaps!

Really helpful, I'm hoping to go for the Strymon El Cap. Watching lots and lots of Youtube vids has helped, heard some great Rockabilly demos with it.

I love the idea of the Milkman but it just doesn't sound right to me.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    I use an El Capistan for this, also into a 65 Princeton reissue, and much as I'm sometimes tempted to stray to other delay pedals, it's pretty much unbeatable, to me. Short and a long delay via favourite switch, really nice modulation, oscillation on demand via the tap tempo switch, reverb too if you want it, can do dark or bright or anything in between, can do Lo Fi Junky type stuff with the tape crinkle and shortest delay time, plus a lo fi looper, and it just sounds great. 

Agreed. The El Cap is the nicest sounding delay I have used, it's a keeper.