Roland DC-30 Mains plug query sorted!

What's Hot
dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
edited February 2014 in FX
I've just got my hands on one of these old Roland analogue Chorus/Delays.
The thing is, the mains power plug is one of those old circular Bulgin types that look like a female XLR. and it was a bit mangled with all the metal bits hanging out. Do any of you guys have any experience with one (or similar) of these and could tell me what the configuration of wires is inside the barrel of the plug. 
The wiring consists of Live, Neutral and an Earth connection. I'm planning on taking it into work next week where I'll be able to take it apart if necessary.There is an indentation on the rim of the plug opposite the apex of the triangle of holes. I just don't want to start sticking the wires in at random till I can get the lid off, but if anyone can help with a quick answer it'd be appreciated!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    Quick answer: get it to a tech and have a proper IEC socket fitted, if this is beyond your technical skills. Or at worst, hardwire a cable with a proper retainer if there isn't room to fit an IEC.

Those old connectors are both dangerous and illegal for mains voltage now. It may not even be original, I don't remember those units being fitted with them - I thought they did actually have hardwired cables. (Possibly only 2-core, I can't remember.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    @ICBM
    Cheers for that. I had a quick look on the old Interweb and found this pictureimage
    It shows quite clearly that it is hard-wired. I shall be attending to this as soon as. Glad I didn't start probing.

Thanks again!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    My memory isn't as bad as I thought :).

And also - although I think that may be an American-market one - it does appear to have a 2-core mains cable! You can see the cut end of it exactly parallel to the far edge of the mains transformer and the pin with the purple wire on it, with just white and black wires (no green earth wire) coming out of it.

It would be a good idea to earth it though. If that causes an earth loop hum with whatever it's connected to, it would be best to isolate the chassis from the audio ground if possible, and keep the chassis earthed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    ICBM said:
    My memory isn't as bad as I thought :).
    Not enough hard partying obviously! :)

The opened-up one in the picture isn't mine- it's off an American website. Mine is rated for 220/240v. Actually, I should have smelled a rat when I saw the wiring in the mains cable was black/red/green, which is obviously not a 1978-vintage!
    I'm going to pop the lid today and see what I can do- I'll probably bottle and go for hard-wiring though.