Pretty easy to slip with a dremel...

What's Hot
DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
https://i.imgur.com/Ac46ljG.jpg

Had to route the cavity a bit deeper to fit in this bareknuckle juggernaut and I slipped.

I'm not particularly bothered about it, I just don't understand why the pickups don't come with a disclaimer.
You could see straight away that its a very tall pickup, significantly taller than the dimarzio that was in there, so all I could do was route the guitar deeper. The guy before me also had to do the same.
2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Nice bit of relicing there ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
    Haha my first thought was actually "shit, people are going to think I've done this on purpose".
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    You are MD Phillips and I claim my £5!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    You need to have a clean around your knob.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    You should've taken the pickup out first.
     :) 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    You are MD Phillips and I claim my £5!
    Well it is a 7 string guitar with only 6 strings on it.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DefaultM said:

Well it is a 7 string guitar with only 6 strings on it.
    Exactly. I just assumed you hadn't got around to improving the string spacing yet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    I've seen (and done!) worse. I once freehand-dremeled the control cavity in my strat to fit a new switch and push/pull pot. It's not a tidy job under that scratchplate, but I didn't manage to go through the back.. :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Jack_ said:
    You need to have a clean around your knob.
    That'll be why your butt smells
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Honestly can't even tell if I've put these pickups in right. The middle position is supposed to be both humbuckers on full, but tapping the pole pieces with a screw driver the neck pickup is on full, but one coil of the bridge pickup is really quiet when I touch it.
    DefaultM said:
    Honestly can't even tell if I've put these pickups in right. The middle position is supposed to be both humbuckers on full, but tapping the pole pieces with a screw driver the neck pickup is on full, but one coil of the bridge pickup is really quiet when I touch it.
    Is it one of those fancy Megaswitches, or a standard 3-way?

What does the bridge position on its own do?

Its a superswitch. The bridge on its own does sound a bit odd, but tapping it with a screwdriver both coils are on full.
    I think it sounds how its supposed to, which is very clear to a strange degree.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Been there, done that. I tape an old steel ruler along the edge I'm working on now as dremels always want to spin away from you.
    DefaultM said:
    Its a superswitch. The bridge on its own does sound a bit odd, but tapping it with a screwdriver both coils are on full.
    Could the bridge be connected in parallel in the bridge-only position?

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I once needed to go deeper into a pickup cavity, than my router would allow. So I decided to remove the baseplate, or whatever it's called, and do it freehand!
    I know..! 
    Made a right mess, obviously. Thankfully, only of the guitar, and not myself!

I can't believe I actually thought it was a good idea!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

ICBM said:
    DefaultM said:
    I think this might be it. Parallel would be a lot louder than series but sound a bit weird on the top end?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    DefaultM said:
    ICBM said:
    DefaultM said:
    I think this might be it. Parallel would be a lot louder than series but sound a bit weird on the top end?
    Nope - parallel is quieter than Series - series  and out of phase is louder but sounds weird
    Did you translate the Dimarzio to BKP colour codes right or did you just copy the Dimarzio colour scheme?
    If it's the latter then that is your problem

Also in 2HB guitars with a mega switch one pickup also needs to be mag-flipped (having the magnet in the opposite way when it was made - or at least before it is installed)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Yeah, I think they were all the same except green and black. I definitely worked it out.

Neck pickup sounds really good. Bridge pickup sounds sort of single coil like but in humbucker form?
    edited July 2017
    Think I'm going to take it all apart and rewire so that positions 2 and 4 are neck in parallel and inside coils parallel.
    Oh, so some of the wires were touching extra terminals by accident. Sounds fine now.